Quiet helmets? - this might come as a surprise - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quiet helmets? - this might come as a surprise

Re: Quiet helmets? - this might come as a surprise

Earplugs all the time for me.

Sometimes when street riding, I'll use a set of earfuze molded noise-canceling earbuds I have. Only $45, and they work great under a full face helmet.

Mods: Armor Bodies Superbike bodywork, BT-003 RS, Renthal 50mm Clipons, Bickle warmers, etc, etc...Gear: ATGATT down to the mouthguard.A few vintage Yamaha bikes.http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/a...ksigDay4T2.jpg

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Two of my friends have switched to noisier helmets then.One before a faceplant and one after. Earplugs aren't just to attract the ladies.

p.s. There was nothing in the conclusions regarding which helmet or helmet type was quieter. Are you reading extra things into the study?
    Last edited by Baggsy; 08-01-2011 at 02:38 AM.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    Given the ATGATT attitude it seems some riders think they are going to fall off their bikes everytime they go out.

I'm not track riding, I'm not even riding hard in the twisties - if i do the latter I'll armour up a bit more and it if gets hot and casual riding on back roads I'll go down to shortsleeves and shorts.

Some of us are doing both, and enjoy riding hard in the twisties, there the need for armour and full face. And once you get used with, it doesn't bother you that much.... now that's on the road, as by the cofee shop I also tend to wear shorts and t-shirt

One nice thing about great storage.....the choice of gear or not. I just carry some variety - don't have to decide when leaving for the day and don't have to ( and rarely do ) wear the same gear all day. If I'm on gravel as part of yesterday I'll put my gloves and jacket back on.

The 3/4s are proven quieter = more alert after a long day and more enjoyment during it. Try it sometime.
    I gues most tourers have storage, at least a top box, but that wouldn't make any of them go with shorts and flip flops while riding hard. One can also have nice conversations with ff helmets, I personally like flip-ups and I find my N90 quieter than my Shoei ... Nonetheless I allways wear earplugs as I cannot stand the wind noise on hwy speed.

I would not wear an open face helmet ... although I don't expect anything bad happening to me on a daily basis, just for that one time, when $#it happens... I hate pain more than I hate heat... actually I love heat

Quote Originally Posted by Aminal View Post
    2 cents worth....
    So by this logic, does not wearing a helmet offer the best sound protection???
    ROFLMAO People, make your own choices and live the consequences, posting the results of a study is informative and might make someone think about something they took for granted. We all have opinions on what works for us.
    I always find the humor when long time riders ( I'm an old fart myself) get flammed by relative newbies, yes Johnny you're 3,000K season and $8,000 worth of gear really make you an authority
    Cheers
    Aminal
    what about my 40,000km a season with $600 of gear? Wear it or not, just don't ***** about the rash if you didn't wear gear.
    x

I have a windshield and lowers. Wind going up my FF is negligible. I also wear earplugs, so the increase quietness of a half helmet is negligible. I prefer the additional 34.6% crash coverage from my chin guard.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	helmetcrashdiagram.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	25778Helmet crash zones. Source: Dietmar Otte, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Abteilung Verkehrsunfallforschung, Germany

Cited in the Hurt report and reprinted in David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling.

You need to check your logic. One particular half helmet being quieter than one particular full face does not equal all half helmets are quieter than all full faces.

The study's thesis seemed to be more along the lines of "Noise protection in helmets for Occupational Motorcyclists is inadequate, and current methods of noise reduction do not resolve the issue sufficiently."

The want a noise reduction method that does not use ear plugs by the sounds of it.

Except that any number of reviewers have noted the same thing about 3/4 being quieter than FF .
    As the tests showed here, 5 db is not a small amount - I have both, tho the Shoei is going up for sale now I have the newer Bell Mag 8 as it serves the same purpose but in a way I prefer.

Some of us are doing both, and enjoy riding hard in the twisties, there the need for armour and full face. And once you get used with, it doesn't bother you that much.... now that's on the road, as by the cofee shop I also tend to wear shorts and t-shirt
    Healthy approach and the one I stick with - gear that is appropriate...hard in the twisties armour up......casual ride - comfort clothes. I'm comfortable in armour and out of it....don't like FF except in very cold or big time bugs.

Dirt road I most often put the gloves back on and quite frankly it has to be a 30+ day before the armoured mesh jacket bothers me at all at slow speeds. Certainly a nice bit of comfortable gear and with the liner good down to 10.

One piece of gear I have come to enjoy nearly all the time is zip up riding boots that cover my calf. Somewhat like these - a bit more minimalist.

It's mostly due to the sole material which I find is really good anti-slip material - the Burgman is heavy so anything that adds to the foot planting stability is worthwhile tho they get hot when off the bike.
    Surprisingly comfortable to walk around in so very little downside and while not waterproof they did an adequate job in a deluge up by Perth and once more the anti-slip was welcome. I have weak ankles anyways and they tend to roll over at awkward times so the ankle support is worthwhile.
    and they do cut down on the shorts wearing....

••••

yes Johnny you're 3,000K season and $8,000 worth of gear really make you an authority
    or a safe rider..
    ..which is a significant contention of mine that younger riders see track guys falling off at speed and think the armour will save their sorry ***** off track so push beyond their bike or skill limits.
    I see a few on here relating their crashes and just shake my head in wonder.....learn to ride upright for ****s sake....then you can push it and NOT crash.
    Last edited by MacDoc; 08-04-2011 at 09:10 PM.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Doesn't seem that loud in my helmet... 103.6 dB(A) is louder than my Jeep (and riding always seems quieter than my Jeep)

The levels are damaging over time. DB is logarithmic so 103 is a lot louder than 98...
    Almost 4x as loud actually... I'd write out the equation, but then we'd have another PEDMAS/BEDMAS/SEXMAS debate.
    Last edited by EngineerJoe; 08-06-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Except that any number of reviewers have noted the same thing about 3/4 being quieter than FF .
    As the tests showed here, 5 db is not a small amount - I have both, tho the Shoei is going up for sale now I have the newer Bell Mag 8 as it serves the same purpose but in a way I prefer.

Healthy approach and the one I stick with - gear that is appropriate...hard in the twisties armour up......casual ride - comfort clothes. I'm comfortable in armour and out of it....don't like FF except in very cold or big time bugs.

Dirt road I most often put the gloves back on and quite frankly it has to be a 30+ day before the armoured mesh jacket bothers me at all at slow speeds. Certainly a nice bit of comfortable gear and with the liner good down to 10.

One piece of gear I have come to enjoy nearly all the time is zip up riding boots that cover my calf. Somewhat like these - a bit more minimalist.

It's mostly due to the sole material which I find is really good anti-slip material - the Burgman is heavy so anything that adds to the foot planting stability is worthwhile tho they get hot when off the bike.
    Surprisingly comfortable to walk around in so very little downside and while not waterproof they did an adequate job in a deluge up by Perth and once more the anti-slip was welcome. I have weak ankles anyways and they tend to roll over at awkward times so the ankle support is worthwhile.
    and they do cut down on the shorts wearing....

••••

or a safe rider..
    ..which is a significant contention of mine that younger riders see track guys falling off at speed and think the armour will save their sorry ***** off track so push beyond their bike or skill limits.
    I see a few on here relating their crashes and just shake my head in wonder.....learn to ride upright for ****s sake....then you can push it and NOT crash.
    I'd be careful about trusting reviews, they are always written with an agenda, sometimes by those selling the product. If your product provides ~ 33% less protection, you might want to play up certain other aspects of the product. I don't think that any agency tests sufficient helmets for quietness, so that we could go on more than anecdotal evidence, such as you have provided.
    A scientific paper with a thesis comparing the noise of full face to half helmets would help.

I agree that one should wear appropriate gear for the activity. I just don't agree on your choice of gear, but it is your choice and not mine.
    I hope that you are not wearing insufficient gear because of the "cool" factor; there is nothing that you can wear that will make you look "cool" on a scooter - Sorry.

Since the wind noise is cut done with my helmet and earplugs, I find it easy enough to listen to my Scala Rider Q2 while riding.

A weird note: In my M2X exam, the two open faced helmet riders found it impossible to hear the instructions throught the provided earpiece, unless they covered their ears in masking tape.

I kinda shorta live in all the camps above.

I have been wearing Modular helmuits for the last three years (about 130,000 km) and really like them. At the beginning I was using HJC (as they fit my square head the best) but undoubtably they were nosier than my full face. That didn't matter a lot as I wear earplugs (and realy all of you should if you spend much time riding.) I got a Scorpion Modular last year and it has a little chin skirt that dramatically cuts noise. It has proven to be much quieter than the HJC's were.

Having said all that, when riding at slower speeds in hot weather I often will flip up the helmet and am essentially riding a 3/4 in that case (in fact this helmet can easilly be converted to a 3/4 helmet with the parts and shield supplied with it.)

As far as gear goes, I tend to be ATGATT but am not hard core about it. My Roadcrafter two piece is so handy to take on and off and it allows me to wear anything under it ( from suit and tie to shorts and t-shirt) so it is great in hot or cold weather. But when doing social events shorts and boots don't look so great so I will often take off the overpants and wear draggin jeans.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

What?

Given the ATGATT attitude it seems some riders think they are going to fall off their bikes everytime they go out.
    Given the SQUID attitude it seems some riders think that they are going to be point and laughed at every time they go out with gear on.
    I'm well beyond being embarrassed by things like that.
    It's your choice, but I promise to not point and laugh at you if you wear gear.

When I get on an airplane and read the safety manual.
    When I go SCUBA diving, I double check all my gear, and take a buddy.

I don't do this because I think I'm going to crash or drown, but because I like to tip the odds in my favour if something does go awry.
    Since I'm getting older, and the amount of damage that one can survive decreases as we age, I like to tip the odds in my favour for riding as well.

+1 for Schuberth, just wish my S1 had a DOT rating.

My hearing is already ****ed... if I want a quiet ride I pop my hearing aid off....
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    Given the SQUID attitude it seems some riders think that they are going to be point and laughed at every time they go out with gear on.
    I'm well beyond being embarrassed by things like that.
    It's your choice, but I promise to not point and laugh at you if you wear gear.

When I get on an airplane and read the safety manual.
    When I go SCUBA diving, I double check all my gear, and take a buddy.

I don't do this because I think I'm going to crash or drown, but because I like to tip the odds in my favour if something does go awry.
    Since I'm getting older, and the amount of damage that one can survive decreases as we age, I like to tip the odds in my favour for riding as well.
    Ill ride with someone whos got full gear or is in shorts and tshirt as long as you dont ride like a dick. Its your body and your choice. If I dont like it then I do what I find comfortable. I will never laugh at someone in full gear on the hottest day of the year. Because technically they've got it right. What I will do is laugh at the posers who wear full gear, ride 5 min to a meet and stand in the beating sun for hours cus it looks cool (well they think so anyways).
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

At least he can hear himself scream in pain....

Actually, I found the guys helmet cam video, looks like he was wearing an MX style helmet.....go figure....

Last edited by stevie t; 03-04-2012 at 12:44 AM. Reason: the full story
    "I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird." FZ

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

KELOWNA 09 'The big wet one..'

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I prefer my full face. I don't like eating bugs, gravel, nuts & bolts thrown at me.
    Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2000 Ninja 500R

Full face helmet + separate means of controlling the noise level (earplugs) is the way to go. I am NOT about to use anything less than a full face helmet under any circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Full face helmet + separate means of controlling the noise level (earplugs) is the way to go. I am NOT about to use anything less than a full face helmet under any circumstances.
    1+ I practice this Gearing up routine: save face and hearing. Focus on the ride!
    ...with Glowing Hearts
    2006 Hornet 599 aka Honda CB600

I prefer my full face. I don't like eating bugs, gravel, nuts & bolts thrown at me.
    it's called a windshield.....
    getting geared up in 35 degree heat for a 10 minute ride to the pool at max 40kph - well ....sorry but that's over the top.

I wear the gear appropriate the circumstances....from shorts and tshirt to full armour and once in a while a full face but it's rare. I like the Bell as the drop down shield ( rarely used ) gives good coverage in the rain and cold but open most often. I prefer to keep my helmet on and chat with people and be able to interact with drivers and people along the way instead of being this faceless robot.

Ill ride with someone whos got full gear or is in shorts and tshirt as long as you dont ride like a dick. Its your body and your choice.
    +1

Ear plugs are for most rides tho to the corner store not. They do make you far less tired and you can focus on the ride better. Hell I SLEEP better with them in at times.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here