Quiet helmets? - this might come as a surprise

Thread: Quiet helmets? - this might come as a surprise

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Quiet helmets? - this might come as a surprise

Except that any number of reviewers have noted the same thing about 3/4 being quieter than FF .
    As the tests showed here, 5 db is not a small amount - I have both, tho the Shoei is going up for sale now I have the newer Bell Mag 8 as it serves the same purpose but in a way I prefer.

Some of us are doing both, and enjoy riding hard in the twisties, there the need for armour and full face. And once you get used with, it doesn't bother you that much.... now that's on the road, as by the cofee shop I also tend to wear shorts and t-shirt
    Healthy approach and the one I stick with - gear that is appropriate...hard in the twisties armour up......casual ride - comfort clothes. I'm comfortable in armour and out of it....don't like FF except in very cold or big time bugs.

Dirt road I most often put the gloves back on and quite frankly it has to be a 30+ day before the armoured mesh jacket bothers me at all at slow speeds. Certainly a nice bit of comfortable gear and with the liner good down to 10.

One piece of gear I have come to enjoy nearly all the time is zip up riding boots that cover my calf. Somewhat like these - a bit more minimalist.

It's mostly due to the sole material which I find is really good anti-slip material - the Burgman is heavy so anything that adds to the foot planting stability is worthwhile tho they get hot when off the bike.
    Surprisingly comfortable to walk around in so very little downside and while not waterproof they did an adequate job in a deluge up by Perth and once more the anti-slip was welcome. I have weak ankles anyways and they tend to roll over at awkward times so the ankle support is worthwhile.
    and they do cut down on the shorts wearing....

••••

yes Johnny you're 3,000K season and $8,000 worth of gear really make you an authority
    or a safe rider..
    ..which is a significant contention of mine that younger riders see track guys falling off at speed and think the armour will save their sorry ***** off track so push beyond their bike or skill limits.
    I see a few on here relating their crashes and just shake my head in wonder.....learn to ride upright for ****s sake....then you can push it and NOT crash.
    Last edited by MacDoc; 08-04-2011 at 09:10 PM.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Re: Quiet helmets? - this might come as a surprise

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    Except that any number of reviewers have noted the same thing about 3/4 being quieter than FF .
    As the tests showed here, 5 db is not a small amount - I have both, tho the Shoei is going up for sale now I have the newer Bell Mag 8 as it serves the same purpose but in a way I prefer.

Healthy approach and the one I stick with - gear that is appropriate...hard in the twisties armour up......casual ride - comfort clothes. I'm comfortable in armour and out of it....don't like FF except in very cold or big time bugs.

Dirt road I most often put the gloves back on and quite frankly it has to be a 30+ day before the armoured mesh jacket bothers me at all at slow speeds. Certainly a nice bit of comfortable gear and with the liner good down to 10.

One piece of gear I have come to enjoy nearly all the time is zip up riding boots that cover my calf. Somewhat like these - a bit more minimalist.

It's mostly due to the sole material which I find is really good anti-slip material - the Burgman is heavy so anything that adds to the foot planting stability is worthwhile tho they get hot when off the bike.
    Surprisingly comfortable to walk around in so very little downside and while not waterproof they did an adequate job in a deluge up by Perth and once more the anti-slip was welcome. I have weak ankles anyways and they tend to roll over at awkward times so the ankle support is worthwhile.
    and they do cut down on the shorts wearing....

••••

or a safe rider..
    ..which is a significant contention of mine that younger riders see track guys falling off at speed and think the armour will save their sorry ***** off track so push beyond their bike or skill limits.
    I see a few on here relating their crashes and just shake my head in wonder.....learn to ride upright for ****s sake....then you can push it and NOT crash.
    I'd be careful about trusting reviews, they are always written with an agenda, sometimes by those selling the product. If your product provides ~ 33% less protection, you might want to play up certain other aspects of the product. I don't think that any agency tests sufficient helmets for quietness, so that we could go on more than anecdotal evidence, such as you have provided.
    A scientific paper with a thesis comparing the noise of full face to half helmets would help.

I agree that one should wear appropriate gear for the activity. I just don't agree on your choice of gear, but it is your choice and not mine.
    I hope that you are not wearing insufficient gear because of the "cool" factor; there is nothing that you can wear that will make you look "cool" on a scooter - Sorry.

Since the wind noise is cut done with my helmet and earplugs, I find it easy enough to listen to my Scala Rider Q2 while riding.

A weird note: In my M2X exam, the two open faced helmet riders found it impossible to hear the instructions throught the provided earpiece, unless they covered their ears in masking tape.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.