Quiet helmets? - this might come as a surprise

Thread: Quiet helmets? - this might come as a surprise

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Quiet helmets? - this might come as a surprise

Doesn't seem that loud in my helmet... 103.6 dB(A) is louder than my Jeep (and riding always seems quieter than my Jeep)

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    The levels are damaging over time. DB is logarithmic so 103 is a lot louder than 98...
    Almost 4x as loud actually... I'd write out the equation, but then we'd have another PEDMAS/BEDMAS/SEXMAS debate.
    Last edited by EngineerJoe; 08-06-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Re: Quiet helmets? - this might come as a surprise

I kinda shorta live in all the camps above.

I have been wearing Modular helmuits for the last three years (about 130,000 km) and really like them. At the beginning I was using HJC (as they fit my square head the best) but undoubtably they were nosier than my full face. That didn't matter a lot as I wear earplugs (and realy all of you should if you spend much time riding.) I got a Scorpion Modular last year and it has a little chin skirt that dramatically cuts noise. It has proven to be much quieter than the HJC's were.

Having said all that, when riding at slower speeds in hot weather I often will flip up the helmet and am essentially riding a 3/4 in that case (in fact this helmet can easilly be converted to a 3/4 helmet with the parts and shield supplied with it.)

As far as gear goes, I tend to be ATGATT but am not hard core about it. My Roadcrafter two piece is so handy to take on and off and it allows me to wear anything under it ( from suit and tie to shorts and t-shirt) so it is great in hot or cold weather. But when doing social events shorts and boots don't look so great so I will often take off the overpants and wear draggin jeans.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report