The Sikhs are at it again: fighting helmet laws.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sikhs are at it again: fighting helmet laws.

The Sikhs are at it again: fighting helmet laws.

http://www.mississauga.com/news/arti...e-their-rights

"Safety is not an issue. It's the issue of equality, fairness and the freedom of religion," said Bal. "The government is aware of it and, as we have now handed them over a resolution, we expect a response from them."
    For me, I wouldn't ride without a helmet, but it should be me making that decision, not the government. In a way I wish the Sikhs would win this fight, as long as equality exists and if one can ride sans helmet, then anyone could -- although I would rarely if ever use that freedom of choice.

I completely disagree with them about the 'safety is not an issue' though -- safety trumps any freedom of religion claim any day, as far as I am concerned.

Re: The Sikhs are at it again: fighting helmet laws.

see if they still sing the same tune after a few crack their heads open from wrecks. next thing u know they wanna carry a blade into the airport cuz "it's their religion". law is the law. the canadian government didn't beg them to come, so if they want to live in a place where they dont have to wear helmets, they can move to a place without helmet laws, like usa.
    Last edited by SkyRider; 07-29-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Let it pass, don't bother me. Although, I want one of these high tech safety turbans, much better then what's on the market now

Let them sign a waiver against not using OHIP in case they're brains end up painting the floor and it's all good with me.
    Current: '04 Suzuki SV650n
    '06 Honda CBR F4i
    '06 Suzuki GS500F: Gone but not forgotten

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Nah. Just put them on a special insurance rate separate from the rest of us.
    Would it be more or less expensive you think?
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    My neurosurgeon said "If I had 9 lives, I've used up 8"... when I showed up to one of my post accident follow up appointments on my new bike, he looked at it out the window and said "Remember, what I told you about your 9 lives? ... that'll use up the last one!"

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
    Let them sign a waiver against not using OHIP in case they're brains end up painting the floor and it's all good with me.
    Florida has it right, have to be over 21, and have health insurance. Get separate insurance apart from OHIP, ride helmetless, that wouldn't both me in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
    Let them and everyone else do it. Helmets save lives, so the OHIP has to bear the recovery costs. Without a helmet chances of survival are slim. A corpse doesn't cost the OHIP anything. Heck we might even score some organs.

i dont think i would want to be on the rode with someone that says safety is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rina View Post
    i dont think i would want to be on the rode with someone that says safety is not an issue.
    so then in reality, you won't be riding with anyone. Motorcycling is dangerous, gear or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    so then in reality, you won't be riding with anyone. Motorcycling is dangerous, gear or not.
    that would be perfect, more space for me!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shoe View Post
    Well, that was no helmet at all. The question here is, what sort of protective effect would a properly-wound turban provide? For at least some sorts of falls and crashes it would provide at least some protection.

Clearly a rider who chooses to go without a helmet endangers nobody's safety but the rider's own. The greater potential impact is from the societal costs that arise from rider's who die or whose injuries are exacerbated from lack of helmet use.

One such potential cost is the financial hit to our health care system. However Sikhs are a very tiny minority even if you include non-observant Sikhs. The number of strictly observant Sikhs who actually ride and who might forgo a helmet in favour of a turban would be an even smaller number, and the ones who crash resulting in medical care arising from lack of helmet would be an even smaller number. The potential hit to the province's overall health care budget wouldn't even register as a blip.

The article notes that Sikhs in British Columbia have won the right to wear a turban in place of a helmet. It would be interesting to see what the net experience is of Sikhs involved in helmetless crashes there.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rina View Post
    There are two types of safety at play here. Regard for the safety of others, and regard for one's own safety. As long as there remains proper regard for the safety of others, some latitude can be given to allow a person to decide their own level of personal safety.

Similar to construction, where helmets are considered a 'bonafide occupational requirement' by law (as opposed to say a policeman's hat) motorcycle helmets should be a requirement.

Anyways, we are free to make our own call either way this goes.

Welcome to Canada. Live by our rules or get the **** out. Reminds me of when I went for an MRI just a few months ago. An Arab guy had a necklace on that I guess was religious and wouldn't take it off for the MRI machine. The MRI technician finally said look, these are the rules, if you don't take off the metal garments, you'll have to leave, so he did. Everyone just thinks they are special, and unfortunately it's not the case. I'd just hate to see one of these morons on a Super Sport, get a juicy bug off the face and slam into an innocent driver beside him.
    Last edited by Dr.Manhattan; 07-29-2011 at 07:37 PM.

" Run as fast as you can, then jump and slide on the pavement. Now think of traveling at 80 MPH and doing the same. Don't be a squid, wear proper gear. "

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Manhattan View Post
    Welcome to Canada. Live by our rules or get the **** out. Reminds me of when I went for an MRI just a few months ago. An Arab guy had a necklace on that I guess was religious and wouldn't take it off for the MRI machine. The MRI technician finally said look, these are the rules, if you don't take off the metal garments, you'll have to leave, so he did. Everyone just thinks they are special, and unfortunately it's not the case. I'd just hate to see one of these morons on a Super Sport, get a juicy bug off the face and slam into an innocent driver beside him.
    That's the way it should be.
    99 R1, SS Swing Arm, Mag rims, wolf undertail exaust... and more toys not going to mention.
    02 Gsxr 1000

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Clearly a rider who chooses to go without a helmet endangers nobody's safety but the rider's own.
    Two can play this game. What if the rider get's hit in the upper forehead by a rock flung up by a car/truck, is rendered partially blinded/unconscious, and veers off the road into a bunch of kids waiting for a school bus? It COULD happen. For god's sake, think of the children.
    So it's ok for hooligan riders and drivers to endanger the lives of impaired drivers?
    Unfortunately, since we seldom put people in jail for traffic offences

Quote Originally Posted by FullMotoJacket View Post
    Two can play this game. What if the rider get's hit in the upper forehead by a rock flung up by a car/truck, is rendered partially blinded/unconscious, and veers off the road into a bunch of kids waiting for a school bus? It COULD happen. For god's sake, think of the children.
    Where are the gear Nazi's? They should be drooling over this. They freak out if you don't have your full leathers on to go to the corner store.
    99 R1, SS Swing Arm, Mag rims, wolf undertail exaust... and more toys not going to mention.
    02 Gsxr 1000

Well, that was no helmet at all. The question here is, what sort of protective effect would a properly-wound turban provide? For at least some sorts of falls and crashes it would provide at least some protection.

Clearly a rider who chooses to go without a helmet endangers nobody's safety but the rider's own. The greater potential impact is from the societal costs that arise from rider's who die or whose injuries are exacerbated from lack of helmet use.

One such potential cost is the financial hit to our health care system. However Sikhs are a very tiny minority even if you include non-observant Sikhs. The number of strictly observant Sikhs who actually ride and who might forgo a helmet in favour of a turban would be an even smaller number, and the ones who crash resulting in medical care arising from lack of helmet would be an even smaller number. The potential hit to the province's overall health care budget wouldn't even register as a blip.

The article notes that Sikhs in British Columbia have won the right to wear a turban in place of a helmet. It would be interesting to see what the net experience is of Sikhs involved in helmetless crashes there.
    Sounds like you've read this article.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...e671381/page1/
    Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    My neurosurgeon said "If I had 9 lives, I've used up 8"... when I showed up to one of my post accident follow up appointments on my new bike, he looked at it out the window and said "Remember, what I told you about your 9 lives? ... that'll use up the last one!"

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by FullMotoJacket View Post
    If he were to get brain damage from the rock, would he have to prove it wasn't a pre-existing condition to the insurance company?
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.