Will I never ride?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will I never ride?

Thumbs down Will I never ride?

Well, let me clarify when I say "never". I mean never as in a few years from now. I'm 19 years old with a G2 and I don't even have my M1. To me it seems like insurance will be my greatest downfall to riding, since I won't be able to afford it at my age and experience level. I plan on getting a CBR 125 or a Ninja 250 cc, you may have seen my thread about getting a Honda CBR 125 (I still don't know what to get yet). I'm okay with making a one time payment on gear and the bike, but insurance seems like it won't let me ride till I'm 25...

Re: Will I never ride?

You'll ride some day...

Hell, you can ride right now if you really wanted to... but you better have money to burn or else you mind as well get an e-bike or wal-mart scooter (and hack that baby!).

Under 25 and without your full G, riding a motorcycle is considered a luxury.

But you seem to know this already. Not quite sure what you want us to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnie View Post
    You'll ride some day...

Hell, you can ride right now if you really wanted to... but you better have money to burn or else you mind as well get an e-bike or wal-mart scooter (and hack that baby!).

Under 25 and without your full G, riding a motorcycle is considered a luxury.

But you seem to know this already. Not quite sure what you want us to say...
    So the closest age I'll be able to drive at is 25, and its best if I get my full G? Also, would my insurance be less if I was insured for a car (as a secondary under my parents)?

dude I've been riding since 19...insured and licensed at least. Theres plenty others like me...if you really want you'll make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRonin View Post
    dude I've been riding since 19...insured and licensed at least. Theres plenty others like me...if you really want you'll make it happen.
    How did you manage?

Best bet is get your G and M1 asap so you can do your M1x wait until next riding season. It will be more affordable then after first season of riding ir when you turn 21 having held your G and drivers license for 5 years go to statefarm and apply for better insurance quotes

Don't kids have patience anymore? I got my M2 at 23, rode for two months without insurance cause I couldn't afford it. Decided to wait 5 years so I could afford it and got my M at 28 and rode for the season (with insurance) and then sold the bike. Only got a bike again two years later this season.

Riding a bike at 19 is definitely a luxury.
    Ecto • 2006 Honda VeeFourRoad 800A (Pearl Black)
    I'm too sexy for my turban.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLona View Post
    Best bet is get your G and M1 asap so you can do your M1x wait until next riding season. It will be more affordable then after first season of riding ir when you turn 21 having held your G and drivers license for 5 years go to statefarm and apply for better insurance quotes
    Agreed. Focus on finishing 1 licence first, then go for your M1. I got my bike at 23 and bled a bit of cash for it, but I felt it was worth it and that I could afford it. If those 2 conditions aren't met by the insurance quote you get, then wait. Also, you may want to try getting a separate policy under your parent's plan (often large discounts are given that way if your 'rents have good records).

It's pretty easy to write the M1. I'd save up for the rider's course and enroll in the spring. Write the M1, go to rider training, get M2. In the next couple of years, work on the full G. Get a bike when you're 24-25, Get your full M before it expires. I know a few young fellas with their M2 but, don't have a bike yet. At least start working on your licence.

If I were you, I would ride dirt for a few years (bonus points if you live in the boonies already). It'll give you time to get a feel for shifting and balance, plus you'll learn about fixing up your bike. You can get a decent dirtbike relatively cheap, and keep it after you start riding street.

Many great suggestions here. Get your G ASAP, get some money and do the M1X exit course too. Many insurance companies only care about the number of years of experience on the bike (number of years you held your license and number of years insured). Also, why are you looking to get a new(er) bike? Why not get something old, like mid-80s 250-350-450cc bike? Those bikes do not get surcharged like modern bikes, they cost less, so the insurance will be lower. Yes, you will have to either spend money fixing it or will have to work on it yourself, but personally, I consider working on my bike is a bonus .

Quote Originally Posted by nakkers View Post
    It's pretty easy to write the M1. I'd save up for the rider's course and enroll in the spring. Write the M1, go to rider training, get M2. In the next couple of years, work on the full G. Get a bike when you're 24-25, Get your full M before it expires. I know a few young fellas with their M2 but, don't have a bike yet. At least start working on your licence.
    exactly my plan. I can't afford a nice bike/insurance right now, so I just got a helmet and did my M1x .
    once I save up some cash I think I'll still have to stick to a 250 due to insurance costs, but hey, at least I'll have A bike.

so get everything else done, and sit on it, plus get listed on another policy like CFunk said, it helps to build your history.
    Just make sure the people on the policy are realiable, ie. no cancellations for non-payment or bunch of accidents.
    til then you'll just have to drool every time you see a bike on the street

Look at Jevco or TD for a 250cc bike, if you've saved up enough then you should be able to ride

Quote Originally Posted by dadur View Post
    exactly my plan. I can't afford a nice bike/insurance right now, so I just got a helmet and did my M1x .
    once I save up some cash I think I'll still have to stick to a 250 due to insurance costs, but hey, at least I'll have A bike.

so get everything else done, and sit on it, plus get listed on another policy like CFunk said, it helps to build your history.
    Just make sure the people on the policy are realiable, ie. no cancellations for non-payment or bunch of accidents.
    til then you'll just have to drool every time you see a bike on the street

I'm 19 and am in the same boat. Ive got my G license and M2, already afford a car on my own and and getting a Ninja250 next spring. Get your G and m2 asap. Its the best you can do at this age unfortunately. Also, Jevco will reduce your rate significantly after one year of having your bike license REGARDLESS of whether or not you were insured for that period.
    I got my:
    g1 at 16
    g2 at 16 (did a driver training course which let me take it within 8 months)
    G at 17.
    M1/M2 at 19.

I'm closer to having a bike over all of my friends my age simply because I got the licenses early. At this rate, I'll be able to get insurance with Statefarm at the age of 21 if all goes well. Till then i'm scooting around on my brother's SV650.

Just keep your mind on getting the license/money in order, and the bike will come.
    When you get discouraged, just think about it, down the line one day you'll be paying a few hundred every YEAR instead of every MONTH.

just turned 20 last month but got my 2011 ninja 250 at the beginning of the season i have my G2M2 im paying around $160 a month for insurance if u can save up enough money pick up an old bike to start and u'll only have to worry about insurance cost... The only "luxury about riding at 19" i can see is if your on a 600+.... Work hard and save ur cash u'll be on a bike in no time!

Quote Originally Posted by 2500Express View Post
    If I were you, I would ride dirt for a few years (bonus points if you live in the boonies already). It'll give you time to get a feel for shifting and balance, plus you'll learn about fixing up your bike. You can get a decent dirtbike relatively cheap, and keep it after you start riding street.
    It would be nice for him to ride dirt but he's still spending MORE money. Yes, it's good to learn about fixing up your bike but if you start picking at every little thing on your bike, you would probably have to spend a lot in the end to really get it fixed.

OP, have you gotten quotes for the bikes you've selected? What's 'not affordable' to you? With the bikes you've selected, you're probably looking at around $3000+ a year for a beginner rider. Just get your M1 as soon as possible and after your 1 year licensed, Jevco will give you, I believe, a 40% discount which should be affordable for a 20 year old with no bills to pay.

Good luck.

Winter: '04 Acura TSX
    Summer: '06 Ninja 650R
    Daily: Coming Soon

If you can't afford the insurance/bike, at least get your license now!!!

By the time you are 25, you will have 5-6 years of "experience" and your insurance company will be able to offer you much lower rates than if you got your M1 at 25.

The course is roughly 500$ after taxes, available pretty much everywhere and the season is starting to close out for courses.
    Do it now!!! You will save yourself a ton of money later by spending 500$ now.

My gf wants a bike but is pretty sure it won't be til next year.
    I made her do the course last week so that hopefully by the time she gets a bike she will have had her license for one year and her insurance will be a bit easier on her.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

RIDE DIRT! If you can afford a used dirtbike that's in decent shape the insurance is cheap and the experience you gain will be alot more useful than what you'll learn on the street. I actually enjoy dirt better than touring around on the street, no police and you can actually RIDE the bike not just coast around. Atleast you'll be riding this way.

Quote Originally Posted by nakkers View Post
    Yea that's the best way to do it; get your m1, then get your m2 through a riding course since you don't need to own a bike and you use theirs it's a win win. In that you'll have your M2 after the course and 60 mandatory probation period. Once you have your m2 it lasts for the 5 years so if at any point during that time you find you have enough money to afford insurance you'll already have your licence and be able to ride any time without having to wait to get licenced. and riding on the m1 when you just get a bike really sucks!!! getting your G will help keep insurance cheaper. Getting a 125 or 250 would be the cheapest bikes to insure and also good bikes to learn on.

Quote Originally Posted by joonuge View Post
    just turned 20 last month but got my 2011 ninja 250 at the beginning of the season i have my G2M2 im paying around $160 a month for insurance if u can save up enough money pick up an old bike to start and u'll only have to worry about insurance cost... The only "luxury about riding at 19" i can see is if your on a 600+.... Work hard and save ur cash u'll be on a bike in no time!
    How in the world are you paying only $160...?

I'm a GM2, 1 month from 25 y/o, and I pay $170 a month. (with statefarm)