Can the police mail you tickets for moving violations?

Thread: Can the police mail you tickets for moving violations?

Can the police mail you tickets for moving violations?

Question: let's say I do a rolling stop at a stop sign, and there's a police car opposite me, can he simply take down the license plate # and then mail me a ticket?

Re: Can the police mail you tickets for moving violations?

How would he be able to prove you were driving the vehicle at that time?

They can send you the ticket.
    Even if you wernt riding at the time, if the car/ bike is yours, the ticket goes to you.
    Do you have used books you want sold?
    Are you looking to buy used textbooks?
    Check out http://gtabookexchange.com/

Lol well basically I was driving my parents car...at like 12:40AM, and I came to a stop sign, at the top of a hill, and the was a police car in the oncoming lane stopping at the sign at the same time, and I did a rolling stop...big deal or no big deal?

yes they can, but its about an hour of work for the officer so not likely to happen. they would not mail you one unless your out of province or a corporation. it would be served by document services.

despite public opinion unless your a traffic unit VERY little of an officers day is giving out tickets. even less is for traffic offences. the few that might be given in a day are for the other provincial statutes.

a stop sign ticket is not a big deal for the average officer so i wouldnt worry.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Big deal. There's not enough traffic enforcement. If you are catching more than a ticket every two or three years, then you need to change your driving style. Maybe take a couple of lessons to identify and correct any bad habits.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

They did it with photo radar and do it with red light cameras. If I am correct the up side is that the owner gets the fine but since the driver isn't identified there are no convictions registered against the driver or anyone therefore no insurance hit. Don't quote me.
    Last edited by nobbie48; 07-29-2011 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    Big deal. There's not enough traffic enforcement. If you are catching more than a ticket every two or three years, then you need to change your driving style. Maybe take a couple of lessons to identify and correct any bad habits.
    EDIT: removed.
    Last edited by d4rktrooper788; 07-29-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

You might want to remove/alter the last post if you are fighting a ticket. You could end up with a different charge. Not a good defense.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    You might want to remove/alter the last post if you are fighting a ticket. You could end up with a different charge. Not a good defense.
    Didn't get a ticket...I'm just saying. But point taken.

An officer can have a ticket served to you.
    I was told this by the lady at the office where I would pay my fines.

I was issued a ticket that had a fatal error on it, the date was off by a month.
    When I went to the office to inquire as to what happens next, she told me:

Any tickets issued by officers have to be submitted in their system within 7 days.
    If it's 7 days and 1 hour, the ticket is automatically cancelled.
    Because the month was wrong on your ticket when the officer submitted it into the system, it was already over 30 days so therefore cancelled.
    However, depending on how serious the ticket was, the officer can rewrite it with today's date and have it served to the address on your license.
    Because it was a 15 over ticket (reduced from actual speed recorded, but she doesn't know the details other than seeing the "R" code), she told me that I will most likely not be re-issued the ticket and that I am in the clear for this one.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

They can't convict you on that, because they can't prove that it was you driving. It's not like those red light cameras, and even those don't show up on your record, it's just a monetary fine. For some arbitrary reason, if you get a summons or something just show up yourself and say that it wasn't you driving. Which is definitely not going to happen. Sleep easy dude.

When i fell off my bike on the street and someone called the police they came to the scene asked my questions came to the hospital asked some more and then the next day they came to my house with a ticket for careless driving. So answer your question I think they need to hand it to you in person so most likely if they don't come to your house within a week I think you will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by 2500Express View Post
    They can't convict you on that, because they can't prove that it was you driving. It's not like those red light cameras, and even those don't show up on your record, it's just a monetary fine. For some arbitrary reason, if you get a summons or something just show up yourself and say that it wasn't you driving. Which is definitely not going to happen. Sleep easy dude.
    If you say "it wasn't me driving" then they will say "well who was driving?" then what do you say "I don't know who I lent my vehicle to?"
    If you can't or don't want to tell them who was driving your vehicle then you are taking liability for anything that happened to that vehicle (ie Ticket, accident..)
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    If you say "it wasn't me driving" then they will say "well who was driving?" then what do you say "I don't know who I lent my vehicle to?"
    If you can't or don't want to tell them who was driving your vehicle then you are taking liability for anything that happened to that vehicle (ie Ticket, accident..)
    On top of that, there are many HTA offences for which either the driver OR the registered owner can be charged, regardless of who was actually at the wheel. For those charges, they don't necessarily need to identify who the actual driver was at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    On top of that, there are many HTA offences for which either the driver OR the registered owner can be charged, regardless of who was actually at the wheel. For those charges, they don't necessarily need to identify who the actual driver was at the time.
    He must have copied the license plate down wrong, I wasn't there at that time....it wasn't me.
    Keep the front wheel in the air and the shiny side up.

Guelph
    Past bikes-77 Yam YZ100, 80 Hon CR125, 84 Yam XT600, 86 Hon CR250, 87 Yam TW200, 03 Hon CBR954, 05 Busa
    Current bikes- 08 Busa, 06 Hon CRF50

Quote Originally Posted by zooropa_chris View Post
    He must have copied the license plate down wrong, I wasn't there at that time....it wasn't me.
    Until he gets you on the dash Cam
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Anyone can be charged with anything without proof. The matter is if you're CONVICTED, most people who are convicted actually talked to the cops and admitted their guilt, that's what you don't do. You don't have to prove your innocence anyway's. "IT WASN'T ME." is all you need to say. I have a friend who took off from the cops and had that cop show up on his door. He just denied and all the officer could do was say "I'm watching for you!" and left.

If you need an excuse, just say you were at a meetup with other motorbike enthusiasts and you let some random guy ride your bike while you rode his, again you don't have to prove your innocence, just don't slip up and admit your guilt, that's what they're gunning for you to do, otherwise it will be thrown out in court.

Quote Originally Posted by 2500Express View Post
    Anyone can be charged with anything without proof. The matter is if you're CONVICTED, most people who are convicted actually talked to the cops and admitted their guilt, that's what you don't do. You don't have to prove your innocence anyway's. "IT WASN'T ME." is all you need to say. I have a friend who took off from the cops and had that cop show up on his door. He just denied and all the officer could do was say "I'm watching for you!" and left.

If you need an excuse, just say you were at a meetup with other motorbike enthusiasts and you let some random guy ride your bike while you rode his, again you don't have to prove your innocence, just don't slip up and admit your guilt, that's what they're gunning for you to do, otherwise it will be thrown out in court.
    That's bad advice. If anything, you just say nothing. Lying can only get you in more trouble, because it gives information that can be disproved.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    That's bad advice. If anything, you just say nothing. Lying can only get you in more trouble, because it gives information that can be disproved.
    True enough. SAY NOTHING PEOPLE!