Is this fender eliminator legal?

Thread: Is this fender eliminator legal?

Is this fender eliminator legal?

I've ordered this fender eliminator (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_738wt_1165) for my Yamaha FZ6, but now I started wondering if it's legal or not. Apparently it's getting rid of the side reflectives?!

Re: Is this fender eliminator legal?

The side and rear reflectors are not an Ontario HTA requirement, although technically since they were original equipment on the bike, they are supposed to be there in order for the bike to pass a safety inspection. Never seen anyone get ticketed for that.

Issues that I can see ...

License plate lighting. It's required to have a white illumination that is not directly visible. (The light goes towards the license plate and bounces off the license plate - the light itself is not supposed to be directly visible from the sides or rear.) You can get lighted LED license plate bolts to fix this.

License plate angle. Some places want the license plate to be vertical or close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    The side and rear reflectors are not an Ontario HTA requirement, although technically since they were original equipment on the bike, they are supposed to be there in order for the bike to pass a safety inspection. Never seen anyone get ticketed for that.

Issues that I can see ...

License plate lighting. It's required to have a white illumination that is not directly visible. (The light goes towards the license plate and bounces off the license plate - the light itself is not supposed to be directly visible from the sides or rear.) You can get lighted LED license plate bolts to fix this.

License plate angle. Some places want the license plate to be vertical or close to it.
    Thanks for the reply! I guess the license plate lighting won't be a problem as this particular FE uses the stock light. From what you've written, I guess the only issue could be the license plate angle as it's slightly less vertical.. anyone can add more info to that?

This kit seems to re use the stock plate light and signals I have a very similar one on my SV and it is great and should never be a problem.

Could run into issues with not having a mudguard, but the hugger might help make it unlikely. Technically it would be in violation.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

From the sounds of it most everything that isn't stock is a mudguard violation.
    Even some stock bikes might be in violation, but since they are allowed to be sold new, it shouldn't be an issue.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    From the sounds of it most everything that isn't stock is a mudguard violation.
    Even some stock bikes might be in violation, but since they are allowed to be sold new, it shouldn't be an issue.
    That's not quite the case but, as BrianP frequently says, the only thing you can be sure is legal would be the stock setup.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde