Its been a little over 2 months since my accident. Photo heavy....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its been a little over 2 months since my accident. Photo heavy....

Its been a little over 2 months since my accident. Photo heavy....

Just wanted to share my story to warn those about intersections and, I’m lucky to be alive. I always wear full gear. My bike was a MINT condition 1996 GSXR 1100W, big bore, Racetech, and all.

My accident happened on May 21st, 2011. It was a beautiful sunny day, I had just left the house, and I turned right onto Finch from Pharmacy Ave. After making the turn I switched lanes into the left lane and was now headed Westbound on Finch. As I was about to pass the strip mall, a Kia pulls out of the strip mall, cuts across the two Finch westbound lanes and tries to merge to go Eastbound. Clearly, she did not even check the intersection properly as she would have seen that there was no place for her to merge. I only had a split second to react. It was either I hit the centre of the vehicle or the back as she came out so suddenly my distance wasn’t enough to stop. I tried to maneuver around the car best I could, and I almost made it. I remember the crunching into the back of the car and over the handlebars I went, along with the bike. I remember flying through the air and when I was upside down I remember the bike along side me somehow as well. I did a full flip, landed on the back of my helmet and back. I came to rest approximately 30 meters from the impact.

What I found was most surprising as I landed and couldn’t move was, through my visor I could see cars pulling up beside me, look at me and then drive off. There was a select few that assisted making calls and one female was particularly helpful, got my phone out of the tank bag and called my buddy who attended and documented the scene.

Fire arrived shortly after as well as the ambulance. My hand was fractured in three places as well as dislocated. The front portion of the hand came to rest on the back portion. I had to undergo emergency surgery. Pins were put in place to hold the hand together and were removed after 6 weeks. I had stitches put in my knee and a separated shoulder. The knee actually ripped the bumper off the car. I had bruising all over etc.

The driver of the vehicle was charged on the scene with turning unsafely. The bike was a write-off. This is the beginning of its life and transformation: http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthr...738&highlight=

This is what the bike looked like earlier in the day.

The accident scene:

The car in my lane.

Here you can see the distance I went, I actually landed 3 feet in front of the front tire.

Big Gix RIP

Some of my injuries

Last edited by ANDRASTA; 07-28-2011 at 07:02 PM.

Re: Its been a little over 2 months since my accident. Photo heavy....

This one is funny; my friends came to the hospital and had some fun at my expense haha:

Bike at the wreckers:

RIP Bike, glad to hear you are doing better though man!

Don't sweat the gawkers cruising past you lying there....my sister is a paramedic and she says it happens all the time, every time.

I literally saw a guy die while my buddy was working on him (he knew cpr, I didn't...I was calling the paramedics)....this was in a restaurant.
    People didn't even stop eating 5 feet away, they were drinking wine and laughing at their funny stories like we were in an invisible bubble. They did everything but step over the dying guy to pay and leave the place. That's just the sick f'n people that are in this world...it's easier for them to stick their head in the sand then acknowledge that they could help.

That fractured left hand is seriously messed up man. Dude, I am just relieved to see you are ok and your hands are actually doing the typing. Hope you can get back riding again soon.

Thanks guys.

Now that they pulled the pins out of my hand its recovering quickly. I go to therapy etc. Trying to get the clutch hand back in action.

goot to hear youre ok man. amdn good job on documenting everything. pictures say it best.

hope you have a complete recovery. Too bad about your bike.

Thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    My neurosurgeon said "If I had 9 lives, I've used up 8"... when I showed up to one of my post accident follow up appointments on my new bike, he looked at it out the window and said "Remember, what I told you about your 9 lives? ... that'll use up the last one!"

Quote Originally Posted by Spiider View Post
    this was in a restaurant.
    People didn't even stop eating 5 feet away, they were drinking wine and laughing at their funny stories like we were in an invisible bubble. They did everything but step over the dying guy to pay and leave the place. That's just the sick f'n people that are in this world...it's easier for them to stick their head in the sand then acknowledge that they could help.
    no trying to sound harsh, but what would u like the patrons to do instead? u said it yourself u stood there cuz u didn't know cpr. chances are they didn't know cpr either. so would u rather them all just stop what they were doing and gather around the victim? kneel down and pray?
    Last edited by SkyRider; 07-28-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Well written man, i'm sorry to hear yet another story about an idiot driver taking out a rider because they are too stupid to be behind the wheel.
    Hope it all turns around in your favour and you're back to 100% soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyRider View Post
    no trying to sound harsh, but what would u like the patrons to do instead? u said it yourself u stood there cuz u didn't know cpr. chances are they didn't know cpr either. so would u rather them all just stop what they were doing and gather around the victim? kneel down and pray?
    The psychological term behind this is bystander empathy. There have been case studies of a town that watched a woman die in the middle of the street because nobody called for help; they thought others would.

Even if I didn't know CPR, and I saw someone like that, I would at the very least ask how I could help. I owe my own life to doctors and to the two bystanders that called my parents and 911 when I had a major accident way back from a hit in run while I was jogging.

@OP

Hope you are feeling much better now and haven't lost the ability (or should I say mentality) to ride. No one will blame if you have, however.

Quote Originally Posted by 油井緋色 View Post

Hope you are feeling much better now and haven't lost the ability (or should I say mentality) to ride. No one will blame if you have, however.
    Thanks,

Never.

I already bought another bike. Still working on the full recovery for the clutch hand. My new bike has a race clutch so its a bit stiffer.

wow, hope you get back to riding sooner than expected and you heal up good...glad to hear you're staying with us...

Your a lucky SOB man so glad this isnt in the fallen riders section. Heal up quick and back out there.
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

newrider1979

I have felt your pain, literally. Exact same thing happened to me in '96. Broken left hand and messed up right knee. Your injuries are worse than mine were though. Glad to hear that you are for the most part ok.

Quote Originally Posted by 油井緋色 View Post
    The psychological term behind this is bystander empathy.
    it's actually "apathy".
    "empathy" means the opposite: caring.

Newrider: wishing you a speedy recovery.
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by BusaBob View Post
    it's actually "apathy".
    "empathy" means the opposite: caring.

Newrider: wishing you a speedy recovery.
    Oops, sorry, haven't taken psych since first year university long ago.

Just wondering but...did you manage to sue her for anything? I hope she pays out of her *** and stays off the street.

Yes, Pace Law. Time will tell the outcome.

Gyad dang rudebwoy! I am sorry to see this. Good to see you are relatively ok. I do hope you recover quickly from the injuries and get back to riding soon!

Rip the Big Gix!
    Leave him alone Lock!
    Dyna Coils/wires, 750 ECU, Dyna Rev Limiter, Orient Express Drag 2nd Gear replacement, Rebuilt Tranny, Mikuni RS 36 Flatslides, BMC Pod Filters, GSXR 1000 '01 Titanium Header and Exhaust, Oil cooler base Mod,Busa Rear Shock, Braided SS Brake Lines &Clutch Line, Busa Clutch Master, Busa Clutch Slave, FP Clutch Detent Spring, Ape Manual CCT, GSXR K1 Fork Caps/Adjusters, Race Tech Springs,

glad to hear you're ok; thanks for sharing your story.
    I take that route everyday to and from work. The exit to go eastbound onto Finch from that strip mall is very dangerous, as you have very poor visibility. I always take the long way around and don't bother making a left there. They city should really do something about that section there....

Wish you a speedy recovery
    Schmitt Tuning
    Automotive repair & custom fabrication - Best rates in town!
    Tires (installation & balancing)
    Hwy 27 & Rutherford Rd.
    schmitt.tuning@yahoo.ca

GTAM members get discounted rates!! Msg me for more info