first track bike never done this before lots of questions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first track bike never done this before lots of questions

first track bike never done this before lots of questions

Hey everyone I have bought a 2003 gsxr 600 the bike was 1000$ with 2700kms on it yes 2700original i bought it rear ended needed rims and still needs farings witch im getting in a couple weeks has a clean title came with a full hindle exhaust, woodcraft rearsets, PCiii usb, and its already wire tied off so i think i got a pretty good deal on this bike as im not able to ride of the street anymore i was thinking about getting into racing. The bike came with a set of metzler track tires on it looks like there is still lots of meat on them would they be okay to used a 2nd time at the track and what pressure would i want to set them at. Due to having to pull alot of stuff off of the bike i had to remove alot of the wire tie what do you reccomend i put back on and where do you buy it?. I was thinking about getting out to a few lapping days before the end of the season but as i said it will be my first time on a track with a bike would do people get mad if there is rookies going around slower than most should i just rent it one day. I know i have to just put straight distilled water in the cooling system and my fariings are already track farings. I set my suspention up for 25mm of sag and set the rebound and dampning to stock for now.any other reccomendations you can make will definetly help

Re: first track bike never done this before lots of questions

A good start would be to read the "sticky" at the top of this forum.If you can't find answers to your questions,then post up the specific questions.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

already read it and the questions are posted here already..

U bought a track bike without ever doing a track/lapping day?

How old are the tires?

Safety wire and pliers can be picked up from just about any bike shop.

You don't need to safety wire to do track days. You can save that project for later when (if) you actually get into racing.

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    U bought a track bike without ever doing a track/lapping day?
    did you read my post?> would you have passed up a deal like that

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    How old are the tires?

Safety wire and pliers can be picked up from just about any bike shop.
    im not to sure to be honest now that you mention it i should just buy some new ones what do you recommend

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
    You don't need to safety wire to do track days. You can save that project for later when (if) you actually get into racing.
    well every bolt on the bike is already drilled so i might aswell do it plus i get bored all the time it gives me something to do, Well i have kind of wanted to race my whole life i was into cars for quite some time got my first bike last year and now i have the cars what cars mind set I LOVE RACING

Tires - Buy quality race scrubs. No need for new one. Reciprocity usually have good supply of scrubs.

Quote Originally Posted by cutsheal5 View Post
    im not to sure to be honest now that you mention it i should just buy some new ones what do you recommend
    Not many people use Mez's so I'd guess they're not that new. I'm a little biased.. i like Dunlops.. bu there are tons of choices for good tires to use on the track.

Hey everyone I have bought a 2003 gsxr 600 the bike was 1000$ with 2700kms on it yes 2700original i bought it rear ended needed rims and still needs farings witch im getting in a couple weeks

has a clean title came with a full hindle exhaust, woodcraft rearsets, PCiii usb, and its already wire tied off so i think i got a pretty good deal on this bike as im not able to ride of the street anymore i was thinking about getting into racing.

1. The bike came with a set of metzler track tires on it looks like there is still lots of meat on them would they be okay to used a 2nd time at the track and what pressure would i want to set them at?

2. Due to having to pull alot of stuff off of the bike i had to remove alot of the wire tie what do you reccomend i put back on and where do you buy it?.

3. I was thinking about getting out to a few lapping days before the end of the season but as i said it will be my first time on a track with a bike would do people get mad if there is rookies going around slower than most should i just rent it one day.

4. I know i have to just put straight distilled water in the cooling system and my fariings are already track farings. I set my suspention up for 25mm of sag and set the rebound and dampning to stock for now.any other reccomendations you can make will definetly help
    Now, isn't that A LOT cleaner?

1. The bike came with a set of metzler track tires on it looks like there is still lots of meat on them would they be okay to used a 2nd time at the track and what pressure would i want to set them at? Check how old the tires are. Since you may not know how, google it. Typically if you have to ask "are these tires ok for the track" its time to buy new rubber. The piece of mind knowing your tires are good will help you progress in your riding.

2. Due to having to pull alot of stuff off of the bike i had to remove alot of the wire tie what do you reccomend i put back on and where do you buy it?. Safety wire can be had at many retailers that sell anything dragstrip or racing related.

3. I was thinking about getting out to a few lapping days before the end of the season but as i said it will be my first time on a track with a bike would do people get mad if there is rookies going around slower than most should i just rent it one day. No, sign up for beginner, you'll be fine.

4. I know i have to just put straight distilled water in the cooling system and my fariings are already track farings. I set my suspention up for 25mm of sag and set the rebound and dampning to stock for now.any other reccomendations you can make will definetly help.Get out to the track.

check the manufacturing date code on the sidewalls.

did you read my post?> would you have passed up a deal like that
    it depends what you want......I wanted a Zx10 with similar equipment plus ohlins suspension.

........ never mind ........ time waste.

Sounds like you have a good start. Just get to the track and enjoy your new ride. You will learn pretty fast what you need and whats good. I would have a look at the rubber but it may still be good Metzelers are not the popular choice they once were however since Pirelli bought them they are a carbon copy of the Diablos with a slightly different pattern and are good rubber as long as they arent too old. I recently rode a RC51 with Metz slicks that were doing just fine and dont let people freak you about the tires too much. My last two trackdays were riding Stones that I know are at least 4 years old and they did well enough to drag pegs on both sides and did a race weekend with a noob and a school for another just fine. If I dont get my Duc painted they may get another day at Grand Bend on Monday as well.
    Welcome to the addiction.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ible-(*DRAFT*)

I will finish this at some point and repost, hopefully get a sticky.

I can't second the call for good tires any more. Seen a few crashes over the past few years caused specifically by tires that were past their prime or simply not suited to the job.
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Street, Many mods)
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (AM SuperBike)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (CDN SuperBike)
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F
    http://www.kingstonriders.org/

The guy's new to the track. Any tires will do. Touring tires would likely do what he needs tham to do for now.

Take a race school ASAP. The bike is already fast-you need to learn how to make YOU fast. RIding around in circles at trackdays with no instruction will take alot longer for you to learn, than going to an accreditted race school and getting proper instruction and critique.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

........ never mind ........ time waste

whats this supposed to mean?
    Last edited by cutsheal5; 07-29-2011 at 11:37 AM.