first track bike never done this before lots of questions - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first track bike never done this before lots of questions

Re: first track bike never done this before lots of questions

thanks for all the input to the guys who actually want to help, seems to be alot of fourm trollers posting too i don't need to hear your input if you dont want to help don't post.

I will definetly go out and check the dates and the coding on the tires to see exactly how old they are.

I was planning on signing up for a racing school next season i have heard they are very imformative and can really help you get the feel of things alot faster and you have a guy who knows what hes doing giving you pointers and what not.

Another thing i couldnt seem to find anywhere is about the guage cluster can it be on the bike or must it be removed i have heard mixed reviews on it,

so the safty tie i can just get from a bike shop in town here

Welcome and congrats on getting off the street and onto the track, might be the best choice you've made regarding riding. Get out to one of the track while there is a track day going have a good look at what people are doing introduce yourself and start asking questions.

Taking a track day/race school is highly recommended. As pointed out, if you're just cruising around aimlessly you're wasting time and you will soon see, wasting money also. When you evaluate the cost per lap, you want to get the most out of every lap.
    2011 R.A.C.E. Middleweight Twins Champion
    www.bulletmotoracing.com
    Thanks to: Motovan, Durham Top Quality Collision, Hindle exhausts, OGK Kabuto Helmets, Vortex Racing, Impact Safe-T-Armor, Suzuki of Newmarket and Orion Motorsports

The cluster can stay on. I'm guessing if this is a track bike that the mirrors/reflectors and all that crap has been remvoed.

The safety wire can be bought from Z1 cylcetech (Bayview and John) Rider Choice (QEW and Dixie) or Pro6 Cycle, possibly Bramptom powersports.
    2011 R.A.C.E. Middleweight Twins Champion
    www.bulletmotoracing.com
    Thanks to: Motovan, Durham Top Quality Collision, Hindle exhausts, OGK Kabuto Helmets, Vortex Racing, Impact Safe-T-Armor, Suzuki of Newmarket and Orion Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by cutsheal5 View Post
    thanks for all the input to the guys who actually want to help, seems to be alot of fourm trollers posting too i don't need to hear your input if you dont want to help don't post.

I will definetly go out and check the dates and the coding on the tires to see exactly how old they are.

I was planning on signing up for a racing school next season i have heard they are very imformative and can really help you get the feel of things alot faster and you have a guy who knows what hes doing giving you pointers and what not.

Another thing i couldnt seem to find anywhere is about the guage cluster can it be on the bike or must it be removed i have heard mixed reviews on it,

so the safty tie i can just get from a bike shop in town here
    Problem is mate, most people on this sub forum end up bumping into each other at the track at one point or another. Being an arse with a bad attitude on here means, most likely, you'll be an arse at the track. It also means you'll be treated like an arse on here and receive crap, or no, advice. Remember, the people you're pissing off now are the ones who will (or will not in your case) be the ones helping you fix your bike after a crash. They'll be the ones sharing their stuff with you because you're a noob and haven't a clue what's going on.

Not sure where the chip comes from but why don't you wind you neck in, learn where the full stop is and ask nicely (no need to kiss ***) for advice from people who have 100's of years track riding experience between them? I know I did and I know I get good advice when I ask for it and I appreciate that.

Just to get specific about Omnivores line. He's right, you're new to the track and unless you're a Valentino Rossi awaiting his first laps, your tire choice is fairly irrelevant. There are guys on here who run red group and will openly admit they can't outride the tires they're on. Don't take it personal.

There's so much good advice already posted here you could almost answer all your own questions just by sitting down and reading. You could foam at the mouth to your hearts content then without pissing everyone else off in the process.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

well I can see how this fourm is thanks for the advice from the guys who actally wanted to help.

Hey I was in the same position as you last year but I'm a bit shy so I didn't ask questions, which actually probably hindered me a bit for my first track day as my bike didnt' pass tech, but that got sorted. Asking questions isn't an issue, and you've caught on on how to write on the forums which is good. Keep searching your questions, and if you can't find answer, ask. Also search "first track day experience", there are some peopel who did write ups, and may provide good insight for you.

I did a write up on my first trackday experience for future new trackday goers like yourself. Not sure if you came across it but if you didn't, take a look http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-lots-of-words if you like it, then post a reply and bump it up, it can't hurt new riders.

Keep in mind not every trackday is like this, but this was my experience, straight up, new rider, new to bikes, new to everything, didn't know a soul in the community. I had no knowledge of tire brands, tire specs, tire models etc. I ran, as posted in my thread, used michelin 2CT street tire, a tire people will tell you suck but it's absolutely fine. It's good enough to inspire confidence in me to drag knee first day, and drag knee all day long at my second trackday at Shannonville. Like omnivore said, your tires aren't your greatest concern, so don't' concern yourself over it. If you like the review I did and keen on reading more similar stuff but different tracks, different organizers you can read my blog (link in signature) about my other experiences with track riding, different organizers, different tracks, people, etc. Look at last year stuff in May specifically, those were my first few trackdays ever. I have lots of write ups/pics/videos and I do it to inspire confidence in people wanting to ride.

Good luck and most importantly ride safe and smart when you do
    Last edited by Jia; 07-29-2011 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cutsheal5 View Post
    ........ never mind ........ time waste

whats this supposed to mean?
    Ben's a university professor and you're in grade school, you need a couple of years experience before he can help you.

As Fiery254 mentioned, a thin skin won't get you far, lots of good advice so far but more are waiting to see if you can listen.
    Last edited by franz131; 07-29-2011 at 08:48 PM.
    "I think you'll like Mat Mladin--if he's on your side. If he's not on your side--you don't like Mat Mladin." - Bob Hanna
    http://www.goloracing.com