Parking Locations

Thread: Parking Locations

Parking Locations

Where can I park my bike? Can I park it anywhere I deem it safe (e.g. like a bicycle on the side of the sidewalk like in Europe) or does it have to be in a designated parking area?

Re: Parking Locations

Quote Originally Posted by f_guz View Post
    Where can I park my bike? Can I park it anywhere I deem it safe (e.g. like a bicycle on the side of the sidewalk like in Europe) or does it have to be in a designated parking area?
    Read up your local traffic by-laws. Just assume that you must park your bike as you would your automobile.
    2006 Black Tribal Honda CBR600RR - Current
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F - SOLD
    1992 Kawasaki Ninja 500 - SOLD

2006 Acura TSX 6MT
    2002 Honda S2000

Most cities have bylaws against the sort of thing that you're describing. Toronto definitely does. You must park ion designated spaces but, as stated in the sticky post on the top of this forum, you can park free in on-street pay and display spaces, in Toronto.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Thanks! Yeah, I'm located in Toronto. Why not allow sidewalk motorcycle parking here, we have amply wide sidewalks?

Quote Originally Posted by f_guz View Post
    Thanks! Yeah, I'm located in Toronto. Why not allow sidewalk motorcycle parking here, we have amply wide sidewalks?
    Not to put too fine a point on it but because sidewalks are for walking not parking. If they were meant for parking , then they'd be called sideparks. We've been given the privilege of parking in places, where cars have to pay. Flouting the law just makes us look bad, making it possible that this cash strapped city might withdraw that permission.

The pictures, on this site, don't look like people are parking on the sidewalk.

http://ukfrancebikers.com/2010/11/16...n-westminster/
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Not to put too fine a point on it but because sidewalks are for walking not parking. If they were meant for parking , then they'd be called sideparks. We've been given the privilege of parking in places, where cars have to pay. Flouting the law just makes us look bad, making it possible that this cash strapped city might withdraw that permission.

The pictures, on this site, don't look like people are parking on the sidewalk.

http://ukfrancebikers.com/2010/11/16...n-westminster/

Agreed, on the sidewalk/sidepark issue! Obviously by the link included there are more provisions being made for motorcyclists in Europe and elsewhere for many reasons. I'm a noob to riding, that's why I'm here to get informed so I don't flout the law :s

Thanks!