canadian/ontario law regarding motorcycle warranties???

Thread: canadian/ontario law regarding motorcycle warranties???

canadian/ontario law regarding motorcycle warranties???

so for example, new ducati user manual says service must be done by authorized dealer. say you buy a new ducati and you changed oil yourself. you have receipts for factory the oil/filter you bought. within the warraty period the engine starts to leak oil from head gasket, or the engine blows up. you bring bike to dealer and dealer checks and goes "oh you didn't do first service here. it's your fault. warranty denied."

can dealer legally deny a warranty claim because you DIYed?

Re: canadian/ontario law regarding motorcycle warranties???

I think you could win in court if you could show that the failure wasn't related to the quality of your service.

A lot depends on what is covered by a first service. They might torque some exterior bolts but they aren't stripping the engine to check the con rod caps. A first service might include a number of re-settings and not just be an oil change.

Do you have an official Ducati service manual that lists the items covered?

Do you have the tools and expertise to do the work?

Do you keep a regular journal of your mechanical endeavors? Courts can be impressed by a well used set of records taken over a long period of time. It shows that you are diligent and organized.

Do you have a real problem or is this theoretical?

FWIW My habit is to go with the first checkout at the dealer to see how they treat me and to determine the hassle factor of appointments, waiting etc. I rarely go back. The exception would be if I thought the vehicle had a lemon feel to it.

Re: canadian/ontario law regarding motorcycle warranties???

Usually they do a lot of stuff for the first service. If you miss all the others this isnt the one to miss. They are checking for metal flakes from casting the engine, changing filters, checking all the bolts etc.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/