Honda CBR 125r - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honda CBR 125r

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Honda CBR 125r

Quote Originally Posted by rg0r View Post
    Paying double for a 250cc for extra 10km/h is not worth it in my book... save your money and get a cbr125 or a 600
    Have you ever ridden a 250R (Ninja or Honda)? In your prior post you critize the opinions of others who may not of ridden a 125R yet in this post you claim a 250R is "not worth the extra 10 km/h"? The top speed of the Ninja is approx. 175 km/h that's at least 50-55 km/h more that what you indicate the 125R can do. I'd say that's a big difference and worth it if you intend on travelling on 400 series highways on a regular basis.

I have ridden a 125R, and I will agree that it's an excellent bike for the city - rural roads wher posted max. speeds don't go above 80 km/h.

So I should get a 250cc since once in a while i'd use the highway? I mean... you need the highways to get around... so i'm sure ill end up going on a 400 series sooner or later.. ANd i'd rather invest 3k into a used ninja 250, than 2k into a 125cc cbr and spend another 3k to get another used ninja....

Remember to factor in the following:

Licensing fees, helmet, jacket, gas, maintenance (brakes, oil changes, tires, storage over the winter), HST on the purchase price of the bike.

CBR125 would be a fine bike to start with. Remember, its your first bike, not your last.

Although I've only been riding for a couple of months on a 150cc here are some of my thoughts on your question-

I tried the highway and it's underpowered for it. You can manage, but it won't be fun. It's a little stressful to not have the power to pick up and whip around someone when you need to. Even a cavalier will have more pick up at around 110. Yes the speed limit is 100, but when you need to get into another lane to avoid something, you do want to be able to go a bit faster than the lane you're getting into and then match traffic speed after that.

I find when I'm riding and learning, the highway isn't quite the place to do it. You get on, you ride at a constant speed, do some lane changes, watch out for crazies and get off the highway. On surface streets you get the practice ... braking, cornering, shifting, etc etc.

If you're looking to ride the 400's often, I would try to avoid the 125. It's an awesome bike for everything else, but you'll want to sit in a car if you're getting across the city on the 401 daily. That is if the 401 ever gets to 100km/h during the day with traffic ha!

You don't need to use the highways to get around, and the most fun roads (at a normal speed) aren't highways. But consider if you live in scarborough and want to get to hamilton...the side streets will take a long time. If you plan to do that very often, maybe 125 ain't so good. If you're looking to learn and have lots of fun on a great bike that's able to keep up on all the surface streets and $ is a factor.... like the last poster said...it won't be your last bike. I'm still having fun, and really excited in a couple of years to get something different. I might even just do a 250 as the next bike and take baby steps till I'm on a speed triple haha

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    There are a lot more bikes out there than your CBR125 or 600. You know that, right?
    Yep, I know you want what you want right now but look around for a cheap cb400 or something. You can ride that forbade few years before you move up to a 600. Insurance won't be bad either. It doesn't have be a CB. There are plenty of older 400cc bike. I.M.O. they are perfect starter bikes

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Dem man nah realize de way I do de technology way don't I identify dey oola dem idiot sound bwoy already ya nah rude bwoy

Quote Originally Posted by Venom01 View Post
    Yep, I know you want what you want right now but look around for a cheap cb400 or something. You can ride that forbade few years before you move up to a 600. Insurance won't be bad either. It doesn't have be a CB. There are plenty of older 400cc bike. I.M.O. they are perfect starter bikes

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    you know the OP is 18 right? insurance is going to be bad even on the cbr125

a friend of mine has a cb1 (400cc twin with gear driven cams) for sale at $2900, how ever an 18 year old will pay through the nose. give you an idea put your stats as an 18 year old rider that just got their m1 (and g1) in one of those online quotes. keep a defibrillator handy.
    x

If the insurance is significantly cheaper on the 125cc, than go for it. Or else id have to say get the 250!