Honda CBR 125r

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda CBR 125r

Honda CBR 125r

I don't even have my M1 yet, but I'm interested in riding. I'm 18 and I was wondering if this bike is a good beginner bike compared to the Ninja 250 and the CBR 250. I can buy it for maybe 1.5k cheaper (used) than a ninja 250 or a CBR 250. The max speed on the CBR125r is 125km/h, and most highways and roads in Toronto don't go above that. Am I making a mistake choosing this as my first bike over the 250s?

Also, Just wondering but what would insurance look like (per year) for a new rider like myself?

Re: Honda CBR 125r

The CBR125r is a wonderful bike. I really enjoy mine and I believe it's a perfect "beginner" bike. Personally, I don't/won't ride on the highway, yet. However, I also don't have the need to do 125km/h on a motorcycle. Doing 80-90 is just fine for me.

As for insurance, your best bet would be to call around, get some quotes.
    2007 Honda CBR125r
    Prov. 15:1
    John 8:7

If you can go 250+, do it. Everyone I know/see on this forum with CBR125 get tired of this bike by the end of the summer, some even earlier. You'll be really pushing that bike (i.e. pinning the throttle) to go 110 on the highway. Imagine what will happen if all of a sudden you need to accelerate on the on-ramp to merge or to pass a transport truck doing 120. Like you already know, there is Ninja 250R and CBR250 in 250cc sports bike range, and Suzuki GS500F and Ninja 500R in the 500cc beginners range. I started on GS500 almost 2 seasons ago and I never pushed it to its limit. The only reason why I upgraded because I found a really good deal on a bigger bike and I now have an affordable 600cc insurance.

The 125R is a good bike. You'll find out when you take your motorcycle course.
    125R is mostly for city riding but it's still able to do highways with no problem.

Back when I was 19 with an M2, I was looking for a CBR125R and I was quoted
    at $2800 full coverage. Even more expensive with a 250R at $3500.
    Call around and find the best possible quote.
    Winter: '04 Acura TSX
    Summer: '06 Ninja 650R
    Daily: Coming Soon

I love how people who never ridden a 125 before complain how slow it is lol. I am still riding mine after 2 seasons... do 125km/h as you mention just fine, sometimes 115km/h when windy and 130km+ when no winds. Bike does not shake at highway speeds as some claim it does. Perfect bike not just for beginners but those who are looking to save money on fuel and insurance

Get one! you will not regret.

This is not a 400-series hwy. bike. She's lot of fun until 110km/h, after that she's screaming. You won't have much power at highway speed to react in emergency situations (yes you can shift down, but this takes time). If choosing between this and a 250 I would go with the 250.
    Last edited by beataataeb; 07-21-2011 at 08:05 AM.
    cbr125 '08-season 3

Quote Originally Posted by beataataeb View Post
    This is not a 400-series hwy. bike. She's lot of fun until 110km/h, after that she's screaming. You won't have much power at highway speed to react in emergency situations (yes you can shift down, but this takes time). If choosing between this and a 250 I would go with the 250.
    Paying double for a 250cc for extra 10km/h is not worth it in my book... save your money and get a cbr125 or a 600

Quote Originally Posted by rg0r View Post
    Paying double for a 250cc for extra 10km/h is not worth it in my book... save your money and get a cbr125 or a 600
    There are a lot more bikes out there than your CBR125 or 600. You know that, right?

This is my 2nd season with the CBR125 and I love this bike. I weigh around 140lbs, and I can cruise at 120 on 400-series highways without any problems. I can even pass transport trucks. If you're riding mostly in the city with some occasional highway trips then this bike will be fine, but if you're doing mostly highway then the 250 might be more comfortable with those speeds.

I road my CBR125 down from Orillia on Sunday. Mainly 80-100 km per hr, and the ride basically took the same amount of time as it would have on either of my bigger bikes, but I like to keep within 20 km of the limit. On a 2 3/4 hour ride I was surprised how well it held up, and seems to run better now at higher speeds with more km on the clock.
    Any day spent riding is, by definition, a great day!
    2010 Ducati MultiStrada 1200 Touring
    1997 Triumph Trophy 900
    2008 Honda CBR125R = Baby Bike

Bump

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    ... Everyone I know/see on this forum with CBR125 get tired of this bike by the end of the summer, some even earlier...
    Definately not "everyone". I'm certainly not tired of riding mine. But then again, riding for me is not about being able to (or the desire to) ride well above the speed limit.
    2007 Honda CBR125r
    Prov. 15:1
    John 8:7

Quote Originally Posted by skitta View Post
    Definately not "everyone". I'm certainly not tired of riding mine. But then again, riding for me is not about being able to (or the desire to) ride well above the speed limit.
    Well said.

If you are riding in the city it's perfect, if you plan to do more a mix of highway and city or more highway in general I'd go with a 250.
    I know a lot of 125'ers that ride on the highway regularly but I've been on a hand full of times and it just doesn't feel comfortable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by w0SS View Post
    If you are riding in the city it's perfect, if you plan to do more a mix of highway and city or more highway in general I'd go with a 250.
    I know a lot of 125'ers that ride on the highway regularly but I've been on a hand full of times and it just doesn't feel comfortable to me.
    Well I'm not gonna race or do anything that requires a top speed bike but, I would like to be able to use the highway when I need it. If the CBR 125 can perform on the highway well, then I guess it's going to be my first bike . So anyone got any info about this on the highway, since its already good for the city?

Quote Originally Posted by huhjunn View Post
    Well I'm not gonna race or do anything that requires a top speed bike but, I would like to be able to use the highway when I need it. If the CBR 125 can perform on the highway well, then I guess it's going to be my first bike . So anyone got any info about this on the highway, since its already good for the city?

CBR125 will not perform well on a 400 series highway. You will have to compensate for the lack of acceleration, lack of power when climbing and side winds or turbulence (due to low weight and skinny tires).
    You can go on the highway with it but it won't be too fun.

Another thing is, I don't know what your dimensions are but do yourself a favour and sit on all the bikes you're considering.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

Quote Originally Posted by rg0r View Post
    Have you ever ridden a 250R (Ninja or Honda)? In your prior post you critize the opinions of others who may not of ridden a 125R yet in this post you claim a 250R is "not worth the extra 10 km/h"? The top speed of the Ninja is approx. 175 km/h that's at least 50-55 km/h more that what you indicate the 125R can do. I'd say that's a big difference and worth it if you intend on travelling on 400 series highways on a regular basis.

I have ridden a 125R, and I will agree that it's an excellent bike for the city - rural roads wher posted max. speeds don't go above 80 km/h.

So I should get a 250cc since once in a while i'd use the highway? I mean... you need the highways to get around... so i'm sure ill end up going on a 400 series sooner or later.. ANd i'd rather invest 3k into a used ninja 250, than 2k into a 125cc cbr and spend another 3k to get another used ninja....

Remember to factor in the following:

Licensing fees, helmet, jacket, gas, maintenance (brakes, oil changes, tires, storage over the winter), HST on the purchase price of the bike.

CBR125 would be a fine bike to start with. Remember, its your first bike, not your last.

Although I've only been riding for a couple of months on a 150cc here are some of my thoughts on your question-

I tried the highway and it's underpowered for it. You can manage, but it won't be fun. It's a little stressful to not have the power to pick up and whip around someone when you need to. Even a cavalier will have more pick up at around 110. Yes the speed limit is 100, but when you need to get into another lane to avoid something, you do want to be able to go a bit faster than the lane you're getting into and then match traffic speed after that.

I find when I'm riding and learning, the highway isn't quite the place to do it. You get on, you ride at a constant speed, do some lane changes, watch out for crazies and get off the highway. On surface streets you get the practice ... braking, cornering, shifting, etc etc.

If you're looking to ride the 400's often, I would try to avoid the 125. It's an awesome bike for everything else, but you'll want to sit in a car if you're getting across the city on the 401 daily. That is if the 401 ever gets to 100km/h during the day with traffic ha!

You don't need to use the highways to get around, and the most fun roads (at a normal speed) aren't highways. But consider if you live in scarborough and want to get to hamilton...the side streets will take a long time. If you plan to do that very often, maybe 125 ain't so good. If you're looking to learn and have lots of fun on a great bike that's able to keep up on all the surface streets and $ is a factor.... like the last poster said...it won't be your last bike. I'm still having fun, and really excited in a couple of years to get something different. I might even just do a 250 as the next bike and take baby steps till I'm on a speed triple haha