Sporty non-ss Bike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sporty non-ss Bike

Sporty non-ss Bike

So heres my dilemma. Just got my 2008 ninja 250r this year and starting to outride it. Hoping to upgrade during the winter for next year.
    BUT. i am currently 21 and jevco gives me the best rate. But their surcharge on SS bikes are ridiculous.
    I dont really like the sv gs or fz6. Are there any other sporty maybe half fairing fairly powerful and lighter bikes?
    Hoping this will be my main summer ride til i get to the good ole past 25

Re: Sporty non-ss Bike

grab something 95 or older if you want full faired...

What kind of bikes *do* you like? There's plenty.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

you just got it this year and you're already outriding it...? In a straight line maybe, but I'm sure you got lots more to learn, hell if you just started this year you probably haven't even ridden in some nice rainy conditions with the drought we've been having...

you still have much to learn young padawan...

jokes aside look into a SV-650 or something along those lines for fall next year.
    I have the same bike and am 21 also with Jevco...I know exactly how it feels but its also my third season and I've done well over 30k km but I no realistic plans for an upgrade any time soon.
    Then again I don't wanna **** around in between, probably go straight to 1000cc but not necessarily SS.

I said starting to outride :P
    I do quite a few highway KMs and i feel like im killing the 250 most of the time. damn this giant city. everythings so far.
    its not that i dont like those bikes just wanted to see if there were any good choices other than the ones listed.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

If you're doing lots of km on the highway you might want something that can go a little further than an ss on a tank of gas.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

I second the SV650, a lot of friends have them and love them. If you are OK without a fairing, there are a number of naked bikes that are awesome (perhaps a Triumph Street Triple).

Also consider a sport-tour. Some are plenty sporty; probably too large a jump from where you are now. Often fairly heavy though.

im 22, sv650 is a great bike, way more power then a ninja250 i went from a 250 to a 600cc pretty fast so i dont blame you, but i think im going to pick up a 1000cc sport touring soon. if you want a sweet sv650 there are some in the forsale section. including mine currently
    2008 Kawasaki ZZR600 Black (ZX6R)
    2006 Kawasaki ZZR600 Silver (SOLD)
    2007 Suzuki SV650 "R" (SOLD)
    2004 Suzuki GSX600 Katana (SOLD)
    2001 Kawasaki ZZR250 Ninja (SOLD)

Check out the Ninja 650.
    Winter: '04 Acura TSX
    Summer: '06 Ninja 650R
    Daily: Coming Soon

I moved from a Ninja 250 to a VFR750 after three seasons on the 250. The VFR makes triple the power-to-weight of the 250, so it's quite a bit of a jump though (although not as big as jumping to a 600 SS). It's an AWESOME touring bike, very comfy, bulletproof, and just feels well put together. You could consider one of the newer VFR800 bikes.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    I moved from a Ninja 250 to a VFR750 after three seasons on the 250. The VFR makes triple the power-to-weight of the 250, so it's quite a bit of a jump though (although not as big as jumping to a 600 SS). It's an AWESOME touring bike, very comfy, bulletproof, and just feels well put together. You could consider one of the newer VFR800 bikes.
    And the single sided swing arm is sexy as hell
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

you said you don't like the sv's and fz6's i assuming because they aren't full fairing bikes. check out the FZ6R, GSX650F, and the Ninja 650R. of those three I've rode the FZ6R and Ninja 650R. I really liked the Yamaha (inline 4, seating position much closer to the ninja 250) over the Ninja 650R. it's not as torquy down low as the 650r, but I still liked it better. The GSX650F I haven't rode yet, but it's a really heavy bike according to specs, so I don't know that I'll bother looking at those.

If you want SS power without the SS riding position. Look for a z750 or z750s.
    they can be found cheap and are not considered SS, although they have the engine of an SS.
    cheers
    06-z750s

Ninja 500R perhaps?

From my research it seems like a natural upgrade.

how about fz6rs? the insurance is awesome on those and i read that its just a de-tuned r6 engine. and damn they look sexy.

I have an FZ6r. Great bike. Its not comparible to an r6 though. Not as powerful, but alot more comfterable. I can ride 4 hours without a problem. Cruises on high way in 6th at about 7000rpm at 130. That puts it right in power band. Alot of fun in the corners.
    Look in the tunk, I think he means trunk.

Zzr600. It uses an
    Older zx6r motor but still no ss surcharge. Exact same as an sv650 to insure

Quote Originally Posted by brockmx View Post

ZZR600. It uses an
    Older zx6r motor but still no ss surcharge. Exact same as an sv650 to insure
    what he said
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa