Helmet art question

Thread: Helmet art question

Helmet art question

Hello I was wondering if i would have to re-certifie my helmet if i sharpie it.

My idea is to get a white helmet and give it to my friend who is an artist and does great Sharpie work.

cheers

rob
    Last edited by rob_96; 12-03-2011 at 11:34 PM.

Re: Helmet art question

I wouldn't worry about it if it has a DOT sticker on it.

You have to certify your helmet? Since when?!
    Winter: '04 Acura TSX
    Summer: '06 Ninja 650R
    Daily: Coming Soon

Banned
    Ahhhh, no.....

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

CBR 600RR, FZR 600(gone), Banshee 350(sold), Formula 1 Sidecar (Passenger)

Do you really think it would affect the structual integrity? BTW it's Sharpie...

Regulation 610 of the HTA

. A helmet worn by a person, (a) riding on or operating a motorcycle; or
    (b) operating a motor assisted bicycle,
    on a highway shall,
    (c) have a hard, smooth outer shell lined with protective padding material or fitted with other energy absorbing material and shall be strongly attached to a strap designed to be fastened under the chin of the wearer; and
    (d) be undamaged from use or misuse. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 610, s. 1.
    2. The helmet referred to in section 1 shall conform to the requirements of the,
    (a) Canadian Standards Association Standard D230 Safety Helmets for Motorcycle Riders and shall bear the monogram of the Canadian Standards Association Testing Laboratories;
    (b) Snell Memorial Foundation and shall have affixed thereto the certificate of the Snell Memorial Foundation;
    (c) British Standards Institute and shall have affixed thereto the certificate of the British Standards Institute; or
    (d) United States of America Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 218 and shall bear the symbol DOT constituting the manufacturer’s certification of compliance with the standard. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 610, s. 2.

Your helmet cannot be 'recertified'. A batch of helmets is certified by destructive testing of a representative sample, a single helmet could not be certified. The helmet will say don't mark or paint it, but I haven't seen a helmet destroyed by decorations (which doesn't mean it can't happen, it just isn't likely).

Legally, you'll be fine. If you die of head trauma in an accident, and your family sues the helmet manufacturer for failure of the helmet, they may lose.

Using Sharpies on the exterior shell will not compromise the integrity of the hlemet.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Is your friends name Cerwinske? Lol
    It's ok to excuse some ignorance, as we all haven't experienced the same things in life...
    And some people are really "so good" that, maybe you can excuse a bit a arrogance.
    But, one thing that you can never excuse, is arrogant ignorance.....

Super tiny chance that the solvent in the ink (if there's enough ink) could do something to a plastic shell but probably not a fibreglass or composite shell. Even then sharpies are used for drawing on plastic surfaces without any problems that I know of.