Hot Weather riding - repost from Texas rider

Thread: Hot Weather riding - repost from Texas rider

Hot Weather riding - repost from Texas rider

breaking records all over the midwest and south and this rider is at the heart of it......figured it was good advice for us all given a few of the days recently.

Hot Weather Riding

by Dan Bowman » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:24 08
    Gosh its hot out there as I think our home town, Tyler Texas broke record temps for June and everyday is at or above 100. Some of the things I do to make hot weather riding easier and more comfortable are:

1. I use ATGATT, which to some folks seems like its too hot to wear however, I don't find it unbearable wearing all mesh jacket, pants and gloves. When I'm moving the air flows right thru the material and keeps the direct sun off exposed skin that would otherwise be cooking.

2. Wear a white Nolan N90 modular helmet that I can flip up at traffic lights for cooling, it has awesome ventilation, white reflects heat and allows me to flip it up while moving to drink bottled water.

3. Have a ram mount cup holder for bottled water. The bottles can be frozen as they thaw fairly quickly in the heat and will melt down to nice cool drinking water while on the move. One needs to break the seal on the water bottle before moving otherwise you'll need to take both hands off the handlebars to break the cap seal. I love my ram mount cup/bottle holder that is a brake reservior mount.

4. Evaporative cooling vests are great at keeping your core cool in high heat. I've worn mine at temps at 111 degrees in Big Bend National Park and use it regularly at our local temps of 101-106 degrees. I carry mine in a kayak dry bag and usually wait until after lunch for all day rides when temps become the hotest. I usuallly fill the dry bag up with water and keep the vest wet until needing it later. For shorter rides locally I keep it in the dry bag without water until needing it and then charge the vest with water in the dry bag and let it drip a bit before putting on. I can wear the vest for several hours and even though no moisture can be squeezed from the vest you can feel the cool dampness of the material as it continues to cool for 3-4 hours before needing recharging with water. So far, I've only re-charged the vest once this summer.

5. My Pro gel pad got way too hot as it was burning my butt. Gel does not work well in high heat. I've got to find another alternative like the Alaska sheepskin.

6. Take the helmet and jacket indoors when stopping to eat or shopping. The radiant heat of the sun will bake your helmet and will not be fun to wear (I know, speaking from experience here) and the same goes for the jacket. Try it sometime and see the huge difference it makes at keeping your riding gear cool in high heat.
    http://www.burgmanusa.com/forums/vie...hp?f=1&t=53523
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Re: Hot Weather riding - repost from Texas rider

37.5 on the way to the Shed.

Dropped down 3 degrees by the time I got here.......damn that is hot..... over 40 with the Humidex
    careful with the water intake ....keep it high
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

I find the same thing with my gel seat - it does get hotter as the ride wears on and my sheepskin doesn't seem to change a bit. It's also good to ride with a Camelbak or Platypus or some other water reservoir thing when riding for a longer jaunt in the heat. I've gone through a 2l bag in a 5hrs ride when it's hot out...

I also agree that wearing gear in the intense sunlight makes it much more bearable on the skin. I hate the feeling when my skin feels like it's burning in direct exposure.

Good idea about the white helmet and cooling vest.
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

For long rides I have a bladder that goes in my Rallye 3 jacket, nice fit and no straps, just part of the jacket. For hot weather I remove the sleeves of my jacket. I lose the elbow support, but my spine is still protected and I am willing to live with that. Sunscreen makes the sun all the more bearable. I got burnt a few times last year, and the feeling of your skin cooking when you are a few hours from home is not a good one.

Today's forecast looks awesome - the highest temperature ever recorded in the SWO region. Hotter than Mumbai! Whoo Canadian record breaker!
    Take that India!

need more than just water, gotta keep the electrolytes balanced.
    x