s1000rr lowside, did his guy turn off traction control? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: s1000rr lowside, did his guy turn off traction control?

Re: s1000rr lowside, did his guy turn off traction control?

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Sometimes, its hard to let go of $30k, and it happens so fast you don't realize what's happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by N3WMAN View Post
    It was all peachy until he hit the dirt, that's when it went pear shaped. Must suck to watch that much money go end over end.
    my eyes teared up as i watched that....
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    How do wheel speed sensors detect lateral slide?
    I dont know, how does the traction control in my truck straighten itself out when my rear steps out? I can let it get as sideways as possible, few beeps and it straightens out....

From my limited experience any slide is a loss of traction, loss of traction creates more wheel speed... If your rear wheel is spinning faster then your front your either sliding it or doing a wheelie...I was under the assumption that motorcycle traction control would do something about that, just like it does in cars...Obviously not
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 07-19-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Zilcho View Post
    Seems like he wants to sell it now...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHWjghMVWgs
    If hes lucky his frame isnt broken, I had one in the shop that was crashed pretty good. The bike didnt look that bad but after further inspection the frame had cracked right through on one side...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    I dont know, how does the traction control in my truck straighten itself out when my rear steps out? I can let it get as sideways as possible, few beeps and it straightens out....
    independent braking from the stability control system.

Automotive systems are very different from from Motorcycle-based TC systems, with 4 wheels, you have many more capabilities.

You can't steer a bike with the front or rear brake, applicaiton of the brake on just the left or right in a 4-wheeled vehicle can help steer the vehicle to regain traction.

Just think about the physics behind the situation. A rider on a S1000RR chops the throttle mid corner and upsets the chassis. As a result the rear loses traction and starts to wash out. At 0% throttle what action can the computer controlled TC take that will bring it back? Application of front or rear brake will not help (I'm pretty sure the BMW TC system does not use the brakes anyhow.. the ABS and TC function separately), it can't cut the throttle because it's already at 0%, it won't add throttle because not TC system will ever add throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Metastable View Post
    Ya that's gotta hurt. Hey Donovan... how does it feel like to crash... ah never mind.
    Bahahahahaha.Love it!
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

How do wheel speed sensors detect lateral slide?
    From my understanding there are sensors in both the front and rear wheel that monitor the spin ratio between the two, if you are hard on gas in a corner and the rear steps out the sensors sense the difference in speed and cut the throttle, so the rear wheel matches the front spin, once that is attained the TC will enable throttle again.
    My top 5 iPhone apps:

#1. Amoveo #2. Angry birds #3. PS Photoshop #4. Real Racing #5. Cut The Rope

2008 Yamaha R6 - CE - SOLD

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/signaturepics/sigpic21557_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by HA3AP View Post
    From my understanding there are sensors in both the front and rear wheel that monitor the spin ratio between the two, if you are hard on gas in a corner and the rear steps out the sensors sense the difference in speed and cut the throttle, so the rear wheel matches the front spin, once that is attained the TC will enable throttle again.
    this has nothing to do with lateral slide

Quote Originally Posted by HA3AP View Post
    This makes no difference whatsoever when the rider has already closed the throttle and sent himself to the moon.

I dont know, how does the traction control in my truck straighten itself out when my rear steps out?
    I don't know about your truck, but BMW's DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) uses gyroscopic sensors to monitor the position of the car relative to the line of driving. It will use brakes to bring the car back to alignment when a skid is detected.
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

Personally...I don't see him chopping the throttle....the rpm's drop after the rear washes out...meaning he let off the throttle after the bike slid out.

What I do see...is him getting on the throttle at excessive lean angle and doing so before the apex with no sign of DTC activating. If he got on the throttle while leaned too much and too early in the turn the gyroscope and DTC should of kicked in before the rear wheel completely washed out.

You guys are pointing out that he let off the throttle around 0:28...isn't the bike already sliding out at that point?
    ----
    2011 Thunder Grey BMW S1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by nwilliams View Post
    Personally...I don't see him chopping the throttle....the rpm's drop after the rear washes out...meaning he let off the throttle after the bike slid out.

What I do see...is him getting on the throttle at excessive lean angle and doing so before the apex with no sign of DTC activating. If he got on the throttle while leaned too much and too early in the turn the gyroscope and DTC should of kicked in before the rear wheel completely washed out.

You guys are pointing out that he let off the throttle around 0:28...isn't the bike already sliding out at that point?

The DTC only deals with wheel spin, even at extreme lean angle if there is no spin, the DTC should not activate, wheelspin in a corner like that is often required get the bike to turn

There was no wheelspin condition in this crash, so the DTC cannot do anything to remedy.

I had no idea that just rolling off would do this till I sat here and thought about it. Also that strobe light/shift light....wtf?

You can't steer a bike with the front or rear brake, applicaiton of the brake on just the left or right in a 4-wheeled vehicle can help steer the vehicle to regain traction.
    Can't say I agree with this 100%... if you scrub speed off the rear tire the bike wants to pivot around a turn tighter. Same goes for gently applying the handbrake in a car while turning, it tightens the radius.

Obviously to apply this to the real world requires ultimate finesse, but from my experience it works both in cars and on bikes. If you're running wide, slowing the rear wheel(s) can tighten up your line. No?

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by mmmnaked View Post
    Can't say I agree with this 100%... if you scrub speed off the rear tire the bike wants to pivot around a turn tighter. Same goes for gently applying the handbrake in a car while turning, it tightens the radius.

Obviously to apply this to the real world requires ultimate finesse, but from my experience it works both in cars and on bikes. If you're running wide, slowing the rear wheel(s) can tighten up your line. No?
    His turn was tightening. You can see by the degree that he has the bike countersteered during the slide.

If he doesn't know not to chop the throttle does anyone think that he would know how to get back on the throttle gently enough to not go over the other way? It seems to me that knowing just how much and how fast to get back on the throttle to save it, is a more advanced skill than not chopping the throttle.
    Last edited by Baggsy; 08-08-2011 at 04:22 PM.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

I'm not talking about the video, I'm responding to the quoted text.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmnaked View Post

This is correct.

He rolled of the throttle..you can hear and see him do it.
    NOMFuP, Not My ****ing Problem. - Malcom Tucker

i don't think he rolled off the throttle until the slide was already happening - which only exacerbated it, of course.

Anyway. I think he pegged it. He's taking the corner too hot.
    1972 Triumph Daytona
    1978 XS650 Standard (Now with more cc's and an uneven firing order!)
    2010 BMW K73

he was not even trying to hand of the side. you can see the reflection of his head on the tach.
    his entire body is over the bike.
    center of gravity was way off, not enough speed maybe. probably the result of a few things.
    kinna just looks like he ran out of tire.