Barely passed M2...need to ride ASAP!!!! Anyone brave enough to ride with me?? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Barely passed M2...need to ride ASAP!!!! Anyone brave enough to ride with me??

Just barely passing doesn't mean much. You can almost fail just from being .5 seconds slow on each section. You should instead focus on what the coaches told you to improve on. I took the RTI m2exit and they gave everyone one on one advice.

That said I'll gladly go out riding with you if you're out after 2am.

Re: Barely passed M2...need to ride ASAP!!!! Anyone brave enough to ride with me??

Don't get down on yourself for barely passing. At least you passed. When I took my test there were people sho failed imagine how they must have felt. Taking the test is stressful and we all deal with stress in different ways. It's just a darn test in a parking lot. The name of the game is practising and learning from your mistakes. It's only after you've put in some time on your bike that you will be able to decide if motorcycling is for you or not.

First- Get frame sliders installed on the bike (ASAP)
    Second - Go to an empty parking lot (especially with an experienced rider to practice) Do this for a few sessions.
    Third - Take the side streets to pracitce starts, stops and turning.
    Fourth - Only venture out on the main roads when you are VERY comfortable
    Fifth - Build up your confidence and GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by Pedagogue; 07-17-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Re: Barely passed M2...need to ride ASAP!!!! Anyone brave enough to ride with me??

Do you have the necessary skills to apply to the road?

I'm sure there are a lot of people here on the same boat as you who felt they barely passed the course. The best thing to do is to find someone to take you around the small neighborhoods and practice there. If you feel not confident at all, the best thing to do is what (I think) Raffiki suggested - practice in a parking lot with someone. I think a lot of people here have done it - I have, when I got my first bike. I wouldn't recommend taking the course again. I think you need to build confidence. If you still feel uneasy, then rethink about taking the course.
    Mystique
    It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives.

Don't worry about what your score was, focus on how comfortable you are on a bike with other drivers.

I took the test at Sheridan and passed with a perfect score, but I still spent quite some time in parking lots and around suburbia when I got my bike.

+1
    I passed @ Centennial with a perfect score but still spent a fair amount of time in the local vacant lot before venturing out.
    Until I got my M2, I rode on out in the sticks on those 80km/h roads to get used to some speed and then when I got my M2, I was ready for the highways.

I think prior driving experience helps out a lot when you're new at riding. The ability to read drivers and forsee problems saved my bacon more than enough times.

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post
    Don't worry about what your score was, focus on how comfortable you are on a bike with other drivers.

I took the test at Sheridan and passed with a perfect score, but I still spent quite some time in parking lots and around suburbia when I got my bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    My neurosurgeon said "If I had 9 lives, I've used up 8"... when I showed up to one of my post accident follow up appointments on my new bike, he looked at it out the window and said "Remember, what I told you about your 9 lives? ... that'll use up the last one!"

Honestly, its a waste to take another course after just finishing one. If u passed, it means ur safe enough to be on the streets. I never did a course but i learned to ride on dirtbikes from 8 years old so i have it a bit advanced compared to you. But riding off road is almost completely different than on the road due to traffic and stupid driving cagers. When i got my first/current bike, my Katana 600, i first rode it in the escarpment where there is little traffic, but enough to get you a bit more comfortable with cars around you. Go ride in the country for a bit and get used to your bike. I personally try to avoid riding in traffic, but you still have to know how, so when ur comfortable on ur bike, go back to the city and practice. Then u might be able to find more people to ride with
    "Anyone can open the throttle and go fast, but it takes real skill to bank a motorcycle around a corner so that you feel like if you get any lower, you might **** your pants."

Quote Originally Posted by Giti View Post
    I hate cars that provoke bikers to speed or race. The outcome is always the same. We win.
    1997 Suzuki GSX-R 600
    1995 Honda XR650L
    1993 Suzuki RMX250R
    1994 Suzuki Katana GSX 600 - SOLD

Welcome!!

welcome fellow Markham new rider.
    if you're in markham the GO Train station (@ Kennedy/407ETR) is a good place to practice.

i m in markham and can ride with u....holla at ur bwoi
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/signaturepics/sigpic29682_1.gif

I was not a part of that class.

QUARTER LITRE WITH CHEESE

Thanks for everyone's advice I definitely know what I need to work on...I actually got 9 demerits, so not the full 11 demerits, and I lost points cuz mostly I was too slow and because I cant push steer that well. You guys don't have to worry about me on the roads yet. I was planning to practice in a parking lot anyways first but in about two to three weeks time, watch out for a white power ranger on a green ninja 250 :PI was not really looking for group rides, but merely ppl who are willing to take a noob under their wing because I will need someone to point out my mistakes. Or even a fellow noob who can learn the ropes with me so it's a little bit more fun Its funny how it's automatically assumed I'm a guy...I'm a girl as well, and know absolutely nobody who rides....so also looking to meet ppl I can just ride with to get better and more confident.

Im sure there are other spots, but i would reccomend hitting up the test pattern at hershey centre, mississauga or humber college, etobicoke until youve got it nailed. I rode the course for a total of 4 hours to master it then did my test with 0 points as a result.

Learn on the parking lot tests, dont learn the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by xin View Post
    Thanks for everyone's advice I definitely know what I need to work on...I actually got 9 demerits, so not the full 11 demerits, and I lost points cuz mostly I was too slow and because I cant push steer that well. You guys don't have to worry about me on the roads yet. I was planning to practice in a parking lot anyways first but in about two to three weeks time, watch out for a white power ranger on a green ninja 250 :PI was not really looking for group rides, but merely ppl who are willing to take a noob under their wing because I will need someone to point out my mistakes. Or even a fellow noob who can learn the ropes with me so it's a little bit more fun Its funny how it's automatically assumed I'm a guy...I'm a girl as well, and know absolutely nobody who rides....so also looking to meet ppl I can just ride with to get better and more confident.

I know right! They did that to me too but u learn to surprise them. I find it hilarious when u show up to meet them to go ride and they're all like, "whaaat, girl???" And i ride a heavy-bodied 600 and MISTAKINGLY alot of guys don't think girls can handle them. i'm 16, a girl, and ride a massive 600. Take that! But yay! Another girl! we will definetly have to go riding soon:P
    "Anyone can open the throttle and go fast, but it takes real skill to bank a motorcycle around a corner so that you feel like if you get any lower, you might **** your pants."

Quote Originally Posted by Giti View Post
    I hate cars that provoke bikers to speed or race. The outcome is always the same. We win.
    1997 Suzuki GSX-R 600
    1995 Honda XR650L
    1993 Suzuki RMX250R
    1994 Suzuki Katana GSX 600 - SOLD

Welcome and good luck. Take your time and and practice your skills... it will all come in due time. Ride safe.

Completed the course at RTI last weekend...but barely passed....I'm pretty sure I had the most demerit points in the class, so I went and bought a bike 3 days later to practice ASAP!!! I am determined to learn, but I really suck!!

Anyways, bike's being delivered this Thurs!! Can't wait!! And insurance is kicking in the following Monday.

Sooo, is anyone in the Markham area who wouldn't mind riding with a complete noob
    If you ever want someone to ride with and give you some pointers, let me know. I'd be more than happy to. Remember, we were all beginners at one time or another.

Cheers

Good luck, you'll be more comfortable in no time... and you may want to get some frame sliders for your bike if you don't have them already.
    Last edited by UberCLK; 07-18-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Its funny how it's automatically assumed I'm a guy...I'm a girl as well,
    You're a guy and a girl?

J/K, I know what you mean.

Just take your time to get familiar with the bike. Consider spending a half or full day at CMTS at Horseshoe Valley Resort. www.cmts.org Yeah, it's dirt-bike riding, but it really improves your control, balance and experience on loose surfaces, skidding, going over obstacles (yes, you can clear that cat or racoon), etc.

The CMTS course looks pretty fun!! I definitely need all the safety training I can get!!!

Hey xin,

We've all been where you are, so we know what you are going through. Big parking lots early in the morning are a great place to practice. I'm pretty sure that it is common for new riders to have a lack of confidence in their abilities. Practice makes perfect, so keep at it and you will gain confidence.
    Last edited by ike; 07-19-2011 at 05:21 AM.

I just got my insurance today, so look for me practicing in an empty parking lot near you =)

post pics of the bike pls..