Barely passed M2...need to ride ASAP!!!! Anyone brave enough to ride with me??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barely passed M2...need to ride ASAP!!!! Anyone brave enough to ride with me??

Barely passed M2...need to ride ASAP!!!! Anyone brave enough to ride with me??

Completed the course at RTI last weekend...but barely passed....I'm pretty sure I had the most demerit points in the class, so I went and bought a bike 3 days later to practice ASAP!!! I am determined to learn, but I really suck!!

Anyways, bike's being delivered this Thurs!! Can't wait!! And insurance is kicking in the following Monday.

Sooo, is anyone in the Markham area who wouldn't mind riding with a complete noob

Re: Barely passed M2...need to ride ASAP!!!! Anyone brave enough to ride with me??

If you "barely passed" and had the most demerit points, why not just take a 1-day refresher class on a nice, safe closed course? You know, before getting out on the streets with all the craZy cagers.

Re: Barely passed M2...need to ride ASAP!!!! Anyone brave enough to ride with me??

Quote Originally Posted by xin View Post
    Completed the course at RTI last weekend...but barely passed....I'm pretty sure I had the most demerit points in the class, so I went and bought a bike 3 days later to practice ASAP!!! I am determined to learn, but I really suck!!

Anyways, bike's being delivered this Thurs!! Can't wait!! And insurance is kicking in the following Monday.

Sooo, is anyone in the Markham area who wouldn't mind riding with a complete noob
    The more you ride the more comfortable you will get. What bike did you buy?
    You can check the group rides for something local to you. With that being said you should probably spend
    some time riding on your own before you try riding with a group.
    Saturday night is free moustache rides for the ladies, apply within

2009 Black n Orange bike with a bit of a rash
    2009 Blue and White bike SOLD

Congrats on passing. What kind of bike you getting? Take it real easy and get used to your bike before you go out on the main roads. If you can get to a school parking lot that is empty that would be good and practice what they tought you in class. Side streets that are not busy are pretty good too. Good practice for stopping and taking off, also practice getting up to speed before the next stop cause you don't want to be slow on the main road.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

i don't know about RTI but i read on the website for the Humber College course that they have never had a failure http://www.humber.ca/motorcycle/faq.htm#basic5 so how bad do you have to be to almost fail? lol

I agree with the poster above, i would not go on the roads yet if you just barely passed, especially since from what i have heard the course is pretty easy to pass if you are at least somewhat competent. I would take the refresher course and get more practice with the pro's if that was the case.
    Last edited by britor; 07-17-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by britor View Post
    i don't know about RTI but i read on the website for the Humber College course that they have never had a failure http://www.humber.ca/motorcycle/faq.htm#basic5

Anyone know the success/failure rates between RTI, Humber College and Learning Curves? I still haven't decided which one i'm going to go to yet for the M2
    I did my M2 at Humber and there was quite a few people that failed?

When I was at rti 4 out of 22 people failed I believe. So no it's not the easiest thing to pass if you've never riden before. Alot of the guys that passed with me, barely passed, they wont pass you if your really bad. My friend failed it 3 times... They would not let her pass until they felt she would be ok on her own.

I did exactly what I suggested and I took it at my own pace. I stayed on side roads for about 4 rides at about 30 minutes at a time and my 5th time out I felt comfortable enough to go on the main roads. My sixth ride out I did a trip to Newmarket and back.

Mind you everyone learns at a different rate and it might take the OP a longer or shorter time to feel comfortable with the bike. Also depends on the type of bike he is getting. Mine was very fogiving and I felt more comfortable with it than the bikes used in the course.
    Last edited by rafiki911; 07-17-2011 at 11:17 AM.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Thank-you =)

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki911 View Post
    When I was at rti 4 out of 22 people failed I believe. So no it's not the easiest thing to pass if you've never riden before. Alot of the guys that passed with me, barely passed, they wont pass you if your really bad. My friend failed it 3 times... They would not let her pass until they felt she would be ok on her own.

I did exactly what I suggested and I took it at my own pace. I stayed on side roads for about 4 rides at about 30 minutes at a time and my 5th time out I felt comfortable enough to go on the main roads. My sixth ride out I did a trip to Newmarket and back.
    +1 to what he said^
    I got my first bike delivered to my house. No way was I going to ride from Kahuna back to Newmarket with zero experience, and I didn't have any trouble passing the M2. Spent the first few rides putting around the side streets, and then I realized that eventually I will need to get to a gas station.

lol I think GTAM is going to have to get a girl and boy symbols next to our names or something. lol I'm a girl

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaGorilla View Post
    +1 to what he said^
    I got my first bike delivered to my house. No way was I going to ride from Kahuna back to Newmarket with zero experience, and I didn't have any trouble passing the M2. Spent the first few rides putting around the side streets, and then I realized that eventually I will need to get to a gas station.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Thank-you =)

Quote Originally Posted by britor View Post
    i don't know about RTI but i read on the website for the Humber College course that they have never had a failure http://www.humber.ca/motorcycle/faq.htm#basic5 so how bad do you have to be to almost fail? lol
    I think you need to reread that again....

It sounds like they do free retests like RTI does... When I took the RTI course we had 3 or 4 in our class that didn't pass the ministry test the first time out, and after our testing there were 2 or 3 from a previous session who came back to test again...

lol I think GTAM is going to have to get a girl and boy symbols next to our names or something. lol I'm a girl
    What does being female have to do with it???

Quote Originally Posted by stormcat View Post
    What does being female have to do with it???
    Vanilla Gorilla called me a he.... not the first time a member has called me a him/he.

I also don't feel like putting so girly pic up so that people can tell the difference...
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Thank-you =)

Vanilla Gorilla called me a he....
    Oh. I missed that part.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcat View Post
    Oh. I missed that part.
    lol it's all good
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Thank-you =)

I'll ride with you if you don't mind me going super slow

I have a 21 speed bike
    05 Honda cbr 600RR 04.13.2011 - Sold
    09 Honda cbr 125 R.I.P 06.12.2011</3
    11 Honda cbr 250R ABS. 10.01.2011 Cherry <3

Take another riding course. RTI has a intermediate and a technical course. I feel you could benefit a lot more from, rather than practicing on your own or with rider's whose skill is not much better than your own. Some may think parking lot practice or a few laps around your block is enough, but you may just be reinforcing your bad habit's/ technique's with out proper/qualified advice and supervision.
    Last edited by REDBALLS; 07-17-2011 at 01:05 PM.
    Sleeping is my drug,
    My bed is my dealer,
    and my alarm clock
    is the police.

Don't take anything, practice and you will be OK. It is a ministry scoring system that is such a failure, we had a girl that couldn't get a single exercise right and she passed, and another girl who was really good and followed instructions well who did not make it.

I lost all of my 11 points on excercise 1 with a cruiser (that looks like a check mark), then aced the rest, so I too barely passed it but what does that mean? Less than nothing because whether you passed or barely passed if you do not practice you still know nothing. Go out and learn dude, I can ride with you to get used to it if you wish, I am not that far from you. When I was learning (I am still learning) an experienced friend rode with me and provided corrections as we went by.

Learning is one thing you have to do, practice is the way to learn, what hopefully does not happen is you drop your bike, and even if you did you will learn even more, so you are in a win win situation. Go out and terrorize the neighbourhood dogs, Good luck.
    2009 Yamaha V Star 650 Midnight Custom

Did you barely pass the course to get your M2 or the M2 exit? If you barely passed the course to get your M2, I'd suggest you take the course again or a refresher. It's your foundation of basic skill sets that you will build on as you ride more. Without it, the chances of an accident are far greater. If you barely passed the M2 exit, you need to find out where your problems lie - perhaps your foundation lacking, your unfamiliar with the rules of the road or you just have little experience on the road. If it's the later, all you can do is practice, practice, practice. I would expect that people who barely pass be over-represented in accident statistics. You don't really want to be in that group.

Good luck - back when I got licensed, there were no courses. Just get out and ride!
    Last edited by SeaBreez; 07-17-2011 at 10:22 PM.
    ......"Nowhere is one as free as on the road with no destination in mind"

2007 Vulcan 1500 FI - Still Thrillin'
    2003 Honda Shadow Ace (sold)
    1979 Yamaha 650 Special (sold)

No failures means riders quit trying first.