"Direct Compensation" or "Collision or Upset"

Thread: "Direct Compensation" or "Collision or Upset"

"Direct Compensation" or "Collision or Upset"

A woman in a hurry backed up her SUV and struck my parked motorcycle (on a street), tipping it over forcefully onto its left side and causing much damage (cosmetic and some structural). There were witnesses.

This is a Direct Compensation claim, right?
    There should be no deductible, right?

Need to know. Thanks.
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Re: "Direct Compensation" or "Collision or Upset"

her fault, not yours, you shouldn't be out of pocket any money.

Police report?? with witness statements? DO you have the witness contact info?

Quote Originally Posted by BusaBob View Post
    tipping it over forcefully onto its left side and causing much damage (cosmetic and some structural). There were witnesses.
    Depending on the value of your bike be prepared for your insurance company to write it off.
    I had a truck just tap mine and knock it over all cosmetic damage and it was over $4,300.
    Depending on the structural damage it could get expensive.
    If they do try to write it off you have the opportunity to keep it for the salvage price and get a cheque cut for the rest of the value, Thats what I did and now my bike is going to get fully fixed plus some money in my pocket.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

didn't bother with a police report, as I didn't know is was necessary to call the police for something like that (even if I did, wouldn't they just tell me to go to a collision reporting centre?)

Got all her information, plus it was witnessed by my friend's across the street neighbour, who happens to ride himself. I also ran into Tybalt71 who just happened to walk up afterwards and chatted with the driver.

I've added up the cost to replace all the damaged parts. It's in the $3500. I really don't want this to be a write off.

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

didn't bother with a police report, as I didn't know is was necessary to call the police for something like that (even if I did, wouldn't they just tell me to go to a collision reporting centre?)

Got all her information, plus it was witnessed by my friend's across the street neighbour, who happens to ride himself. I also ran into Tybalt71 who just happened to walk up afterwards and chatted with the driver.

I've added up the cost to replace all the damaged parts. It's in the $3500. I really don't want this to be a write off.
    You are supposed to report any accident where the combined damage total of all vehicles is over $1000 and it helps the insurance process speed up when it is not your fault as you will probably have to give statements after you make the claim and they will have to look over it as they would have already done it before they contacted you.
    Is the $3500 a quote or your total if you do it yourself?
    You have to get a quote for insurance or have their appraiser go over your bike and check out the damages.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    Depending on the value of your bike be prepared for your insurance company to write it off.
    I had a truck just tap mine and knock it over all cosmetic damage and it was over $4,300.
    Depending on the structural damage it could get expensive.
    If they do try to write it off you have the opportunity to keep it for the salvage price and get a cheque cut for the rest of the value, Thats what I did and now my bike is going to get fully fixed plus some money in my pocket.
    If they write it off it can never be used on the street again. In ontario a salvage bike can not be reigistered as fit.

Is the $3500 a quote or your total if you do it yourself?
    You have to get a quote for insurance or have their appraiser go over your bike and check out the damages.
    that's just the price for the OEM parts that were damaged.

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Yo Bro, couldnt believe it was you, the women was really upset and seems genuine Bob, Up to you how you proceed you wont get dinged, i had a pizza driver knock over my Busa, his insurance replaced everything, just follow the correct protocol when reporting, If you need my info, PM me, i was just passing by with my daughter and saw the busa, so i naturally just go over and say hi and voila it's you, it sucks bro but again my feel was she is visibly upset and she owns responsibility for what happened, it's you're call-Ty

Assuming this happened in Ontario and the other driver had a valid Ontario Automobile Policy on her vehicle this claim would be considered a DCPD claim (Direct Compensation Property Damage). In this case you're entitled to your repairs (or the actual cash value of the motorcycle if it's totalled) plus compensation for the loss of use of the motorcycle (i.e. rental car, rental motorcycle, taxi fares etc...). You are also entitled to be compensated for any contents that were also damaged. Let's preted you had saddle bags on it and the contents inside were also damaged. Those would also be covered.

On the deductible issue. DCPD deductibles are EXTREMELY rare. You probably won't have to pay a cent.

What a great insurance outcome eh!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum Cycle View Post
    What a great insurance outcome eh!!!!!!
    i'd rather not have the entire left side of my bike rashed, the tail crooked and the left side of the front cowl shoved in

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    If they write it off it can never be used on the street again. In ontario a salvage bike can not be reigistered as fit.
    Irreparable"
    • Vehicle has been written-off as a total loss.
    • Can only be used for parts or scrap.
    • Cannot be driven again in Ontario.
    "Salvage"
    • Can be repaired or used for scrap.
    • If repaired, vehicle must pass a structural inspection test and be inspected by an authorized technician in accordance with regulatory criteria.
    "Rebuilt"
    • Vehicle was written-off, branded as "Salvage" and was repaired.
    • Vehicle must have a Structural Inspection Certificate from an authorized technician at a licensed Motor Vehicle Inspection Station in accordance with regulatory criteria.
    2001 CBR F4i

Irreparable"
    • Can only be used for parts or scrap.
    • Cannot be driven again in Ontario.

"Salvage"
    • Can be repaired or used for scrap.
    • If repaired, vehicle must pass a structural inspection test and be inspected by an authorized technician in accordance with regulatory criteria.

"Rebuilt"
    • Vehicle was written-off, branded as "Salvage" and was repaired.
    • Vehicle must have a Structural Inspection Certificate from an authorized technician at a licensed Motor Vehicle Inspection Station in accordance with regulatory criteria.
    Motorcycles only have two states: Clean and Irreparable. There's no "Rebuilt" for motorcycles.

NOTE: Some vehicles are exempt from branding under the new program: trailers, traction engines, farm tractors, road-building machines, bicycles, motor-assisted bicycles, motorized snow vehicles, streetcars and motor vehicles with a model year of 1980 or earlier. For motorcycles, only the "Irreparable" brand will apply.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Motorcycles only have two states: Clean and Irreparable. There's no "Rebuilt" for motorcycles.

NOTE: Some vehicles are exempt from branding under the new program: trailers, traction engines, farm tractors, road-building machines, bicycles, motor-assisted bicycles, motorized snow vehicles, streetcars and motor vehicles with a model year of 1980 or earlier. For motorcycles, only the "Irreparable" brand will apply.
    Interesting as I just went through insurance on a near write-off and they said my options were write-off, cash payour w/clean title, or write-off and buy back as salvage and fix it?
    Maybe they are just a little on the slow side as they did say the honda car dealership is on their prefered list for quotes and I should take it there to get a quote instead of the Honda motorcycle dealership next door?

Thank god I didn't take deal 3
    2001 CBR F4i

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    I'm not certain, but I think that if the insurer sells the damaged vehicle back to the insured (rather than selling it at a salvage auction) then it won't be branded as salvage.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    I'm not certain, but I think that if the insurer sells the damaged vehicle back to the insured (rather than selling it at a salvage auction) then it won't be branded as salvage.
    I did something like that they cut me a check for the value of my bike minus what the salvage place would give them. But I never had to buy it back, They called it "an owner retained cash payout"
    2001 CBR F4i