My 2nd TD and 1st ever crash - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: My 2nd TD and 1st ever crash

Re: My 2nd TD and 1st ever crash

Quote Originally Posted by stormcat View Post
    I had the front completely loaded from hard braking and wasn't on the gas in time as I leaned in. The rear went light and whooooosh! out it went.
    This doesn't make any sense to me. But what do I know...

BrianP, Reciprocity, Caboose...have a lot of time "in the seat" as racers....they know what they're talking about....BenG too....there are more. Bike setup is very important as its a consistent baseline. Lines will change as your speed and race craft builds. Body position is important too. Not everyone drags a knee. Smooth is fast!!
    Last edited by spinto; 07-21-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightcycle View Post
    \

You are not alone .... by this theory I'd be going down in every corner whether it's street or track riding.

The only way I could see this happening is if you basically stood the bike up on the front wheel and turned at the same time. I doubt you did that or that you were breaking that hard. I guess some things cannot be explained providing all the information given is correct.

Just an update to this and the suspension saga:

Took the bike down to be seen by Ryan at Condor Racing. It actually needed very little adjustment. The springs are 4mil too soft, apparently, but balanced between front and rear. He upped the damping though, and found that the guy who redid my forks last had left them uneven in height. But not so badly that I would have really noticed.

He checked my front tire tread and also thinks it's fine. All in all, he thinks the bike is set up fine for street and novice level track days without any further adjustment. That makes me feel better.

Lastly, I described the crash to him and he echoed my theory. I had the front completely loaded from hard braking and wasn't on the gas in time as I leaned in. The rear went light and whooooosh! out it went. Live and learn.
    I'm a little confused... You said in an earlier post that your front tires were at the wear bars, how is this okay for the track or street? If they are close it's still time to chuck them.
    Your theory is all messed up... it makes no sense what so ever, I can't see someone agreeing with that especially someone who has knowledge about track and street riding.
    Last edited by R1Guy; 07-21-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redridernl View Post
    There are some nasty bumps out there that will upset any suspension. I got sacked on the way home... No joke.
    but she wasn't talking about nasty bumps, just bumps.

i've got my suspension set up for "sporty" firm and i only feel the nasty bumps
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

I'm so glad I don't have testicles.
    they're a lot of fun to have hanging around :P

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Took the bike down to be seen by Ryan at Condor Racing. It actually needed very little adjustment. The springs are 4mil too soft, apparently, but balanced between front and rear. He upped the damping though, and found that the guy who redid my forks last had left them uneven in height. But not so badly that I would have really noticed.

He checked my front tire tread and also thinks it's fine. All in all, he thinks the bike is set up fine for street and novice level track days without any further adjustment. That makes me feel better.

Lastly, I described the crash to him and he echoed my theory. I had the front completely loaded from hard braking and wasn't on the gas in time as I leaned in. The rear went light and whooooosh! out it went. Live and learn.
    If the bike is okay then the crash has to be attributed to operator error. (P.S. This is not a slam in any way. I have not had a single crash on the track - and I've had a few of them - that was NOT due to operator error in some way - sometimes my error, sometimes someone else's. It happens.)

I couldn't tell you which. On the ride home from Hamilton to Brampton it was slightly better but regardless of how much I grip the tank (and I have Tech Spec on it too), any biggish bumps still knock my butt off the seat.
    That bike ain't your granddad's Cadillac.

Quote Originally Posted by 00ninja View Post
    Glad to hear you got the suspension sorted out. Fairly easily too. Nice! BTW, did you take that baffle back out of the exhaust? I don't remember if you posted whether or not it passed tech inspection or if you needed to tinker some more with it at the track.
    I left the dB Dawg in. The noise limit at Calabogie is 96, mine was 94.1 at 10k RPM, so it was fine. I know it would have been well over the limit with the dB Dawg out. I kind of don't mind having a quiet bike for a change.

BrianP, I'm not taking it as a slam at all. As a matter of fact, I'm glad the cause of the crash has been determined, and that it was determined to be my fault. It's easier for me to work on my own error and not repeat it, than have to worry about whether or not my bike is safe. If that makes sense.

As for the suspension, perhaps having a Ninja500 with a squishy, inferior suspension as my first bike has led me to believe that's how bikes are supposed to feel. Live and learn.

As for the suspension, perhaps having a Ninja500 with a squishy, inferior suspension as my first bike has led me to believe that's how bikes are supposed to feel. Live and learn.
    A reasonable theory. My 10R rode like a dump truck when set up properly.

For what it's worth, all of my unscheduled dismounts were 100% my own doing.
    Last edited by caboose483; 07-26-2011 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BusaBob View Post
    but she wasn't talking about nasty bumps, just bumps.

i've got my suspension set up for "sporty" firm and i only feel the nasty bumps
    I would imagine a Busa would have a more plush ride.

I got thrown from my bike after clipping the curb on my highside and into a gaurdrail. I ended up in the ICU for a week. Got back on 5 and a half weeks later. Streeter is still in need of parts but have been playing in the dirt with my 650 enduro. I still get nervous when i get around corners but i'm happy to be back on. Glad your okay
    "Anyone can open the throttle and go fast, but it takes real skill to bank a motorcycle around a corner so that you feel like if you get any lower, you might **** your pants."

Quote Originally Posted by Giti View Post
    I hate cars that provoke bikers to speed or race. The outcome is always the same. We win.
    1997 Suzuki GSX-R 600
    1995 Honda XR650L
    1993 Suzuki RMX250R
    1994 Suzuki Katana GSX 600 - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Mavelick95 View Post
    I got thrown from my bike after clipping the curb on my highside and into a gaurdrail. I ended up in the ICU for a week. Got back on 5 and a half weeks later.
    Ouch!!! Glad you're ok too. I'm not sure I'd ever get back on a bike again after being in ICU for a week, so a huge kudos to you!

Quote Originally Posted by redridernl View Post
    I would imagine a Busa would have a more plush ride.
    and you would be correct, if the springs weren't changed for heavier ones more appropriate for me.

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by Lightcycle View Post
    It's possible but uncommon. Jorge Lorenzo is king of the corner entry highside, turning in while still keeping substantial pressure on the front brake keeps the rear unloaded.. it's easier for it to slide and come around under these conditions... but still, pretty uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    It's possible but uncommon. Jorge Lorenzo is king of the corner entry highside, turning in while still keeping substantial pressure on the front brake keeps the rear unloaded.. it's easier for it to slide and come around under these conditions... but still, pretty uncommon.
    That's too much front brake, the OP was talking about "not getting on the gas in time", which makes no sense at all.

IDK. But I do know it was my error, and not the bike. I clearly need lots of saddle time at the track and perhaps some private lessons.

I finally watched Twist of the Wrist II the other day. Seems my "SRs" are taking over. And my perception of speed is highly disconnected from actual speed. I already knew this because I consistently over brake for corners. And there are concepts that I simply don't understand.