heading north west

Thread: heading north west

heading north west

Heading north west on monday. because time is of the essence going out there taking the trans-canada and not exploring any back roads.
    x

Re: heading north west

Have a safe and awesome trip CG
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

Made it to wawa, they've been straightening out 17
    x

what route ? Manitoulin or around?
    was going to go that way up to North of Sault and then across to Chapleau but no riding partner confirmed so might do Ottawa Valley instead.

Damn you here honkin to make that in a day.

Oops saw you were out of Trenton - so over 17 I guess.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    what route ? Manitoulin or around?was going to go that way up to North of Sault and then across to Chapleau but no riding partner confirmed so might do Ottawa Valley instead.Damn you here honkin to make that in a day. Oops saw you were out of Trenton - so over 17 I guess.
    Left from west toronto, took 401 to 400 straight up (time is of the essence). Followed 69 to Sudbury and west on 17. There were a few short cuts I could have taken but unsure of gas availability on 6xx roads. Gas stops are taking 20+ mom because I need a new seat. Been sticking to about limit +15 but occasionally follow some one doing a little more. Was mindful of speed around blind river, sault saint marie, upsala and ignace. Observed heavy police activity at the first two, was warned about the latter two. They have twinned more of 17 getting rid of some curves in the process.Construction isn't too bad, gas is ~1.30-1.50 depending where you stop (some times 10c difference in 100 feet). Pulled up to one pump, 1.49, the pumps were rusty and the price was listed as manual number dials that spun (was surprised they went that high, the pumps had to be 40+ years old)If anyone asks those 5 hour energy vials do work and better than redbull. They also suppress one's appetite. I had considered taking the ferry but it would have cost me 2 more hours in travel time, maybe on the way back.Ran into a storm on the first day, huge rain slowed me down to about 65 from 95-105.I am getting under 5l/100km, on the 401 I usually see ~6l/100km because traffic is moving about 130-140.When first planning the trip raf was supposed to come along but I think we would have been at odds about the (lack of) stops for senic vistas (I did get a few pics with my cam mounted on the bars)I have 800km left until I get to my aunt's place in Saskatchewan (2600+ km one way) and did ~900km each of the first two days.Weather was hot but humid on Monday, with a long sleeve shirt under my mesh jacket (I forwent the mesh pants because they are warmer than regular ballistics due to engine heat venting) I was able to remain cool. Yesterday was chilly until about 1 and until it warmed up I had put the liner in my jacket. Once I got past thunder bay it became a dry heat.Been drinking lots of Gatorade and water. sticking straight to water can put you in the hospital as you need to replace the salts and other minerals you sweat out. Sadly diet has suffered as I'm not even stopping for meals other than breakfast sandwich in the morning and a small meal at the end of the day, been snacking on granola/oatmeal bars while riding.
    Last edited by CruisnGrrl; 07-20-2011 at 04:11 AM.
    x

Wow formatting was ignored, too much a pain to edit on my phone. Will try to do something when I get to a real computer
    x

Very readable
    Very impressive run ..
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Nice trip. On your way back, a Camelbak or some other hydration filled with electrolyte solution might work well to drink while riding... I also found that eating at Subway in the morning (get a foot long) was good for the late breakfast and I would save 6" for a nice soggy dinner.

Ride safe.
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

Estimate 2700 km over 3 days. I need a new seat.I am thinking of this mess to come home http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Reg...ia=1,2,3,4&z=8
    x

I came that way last week, and was wishing I was on 2 wheels, some nice roads, even on the Trans Canada. If you're looking to make good time, note that I saw a traffic cop just across the border into Manitoba, and didn't see another one until Medicine Hat, AB. Not saying to go WOT but I think there's just too much road to cover out there. Travel safe...

Alan

17 is a great road, very scenic. Beware wildlife especially at night.
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Quote Originally Posted by shanekingsley View Post
    Nice trip. On your way back, a Camelbak or some other hydration filled with electrolyte solution might work well to drink while riding... I also found that eating at Subway in the morning (get a foot long) was good for the late breakfast and I would save 6" for a nice soggy dinner.Ride safe.
    Have a camelbak but I only put water in it to keep it from absorbing flavours I love grape but not in everything. With the modular helmet getting a drink (or a bite) is easy. The subway thing is something I've done in the past, had about 10 free subs saved up
    Quote Originally Posted by BdaGolfer View Post
    I came that way last week, and was wishing I was on 2 wheels, some nice roads, even on the Trans Canada. If you're looking to make good time, note that I saw a traffic cop just across the border into Manitoba, and didn't see another one until Medicine Hat, AB. Not saying to go WOT but I think there's just too much road to cover out there. Travel safe...Alan
    Saw one RCMP about 30 minutes past the sask border, I was fighting a crosswind and hanging off the bike while doing 10 over (120) I figured he was going to stop me for hanging off the bike (trying to keep it upright for even tire wear). He didn't stir.
    Quote Originally Posted by boooya View Post
    17 is a great road, very scenic. Beware wildlife especially at night.
    Yup both nights bike was parked at dusk, was more worried for the rare moose charging thAn jumping deer.
    x

Safe trip hun!!!
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Rode from Regina to fort frances, went briefly through the USA, took nearly 45 minutes to cross the border from Canada and coming back it took about 5 minutes. *The road through Manitoba was straight, with the odd bend here and there. I managed to get 294.5km with 1.5 liters left in the tank. If I had known where the next gas station was and exactly what was left in the tank I could have broken 300km. I'm getting about 5.5l/100km which will translate to about 370 in gas for the round trip.*Enjoyed my cousins wedding and my aunt's birthday, would have liked to have spent more time with them in a more relaxed setting.Fort Frances smells. I think it's the bacteria in the water. Hope to get to thunder bay tomorrow. Camped right in the city at the park, office was closed will have to pay in the am.Sault Saint Marie is just over 1000 km from here, going to be a long trek, *** is doing better, can't wait for a new seat.*No cell service, will have to snag free wifi and post later.Note to self, the train comes at 4am and has a level crossing, woot woot.
    x

Hi CruisnGrrl,

With envy, I will enjoy reading of your adventures. I, many moons ago, was a carefree vagabond and have criss crossed North America on many occasions. Safe travels. (big smile).

SeaBreez
    ......"Nowhere is one as free as on the road with no destination in mind"

2007 Vulcan 1500 FI - Still Thrillin'
    2003 Honda Shadow Ace (sold)
    1979 Yamaha 650 Special (sold)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...a197751a&msa=0

that is more or less the route I took.

I omitted the odd little back track (like the back tracking for the camp ground outside kenora) and the day trip to moosejaw.
    x