Cayuga - What do I need to know?

Thread: Cayuga - What do I need to know?

Cayuga - What do I need to know?

I'm doing a private track day at Cayuga tomorrow. My only track experience to date was two days at Calabogie under the direction of instructors, so I'm still very wet behind the ears when it comes to riding on a track.

What should I know about Cayuga? Problem spots, bumpy areas, etc? Your thoughts and opinions would be great.

Re: Cayuga - What do I need to know?

Quote Originally Posted by stormcat View Post
    I'm doing a private track day at Cayuga tomorrow. My only track experience to date was two days at Calabogie under the direction of instructors, so I'm still very wet behind the ears when it comes to riding on a track.What should I know about Cayuga? Problem spots, bumpy areas, etc? Your thoughts and opinions would be great.
    Watch some videos, you will see what people are using for lines...The 2nd left hander, being Turn 6, has a big bump... also I find that the exit of the final turn going onto the straightaway has a big dip. In fact, I think even T6 is more of a dip then a bump... so the pavement actually sinks as opposed to being a literal bump.The track is flat, no vertical changes are encountered... you can see very far through the tight parts of the track, with the opportunity to really slingshot yourself out of turn 4/5 by looking well beyond the turn, while just setting up to take the beginning of it.I'm sure there are many other tips others will chime in, so I'll stop here.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Good idea.

I'm watching one now. Please tell me the surface isn't as bad as it looks on the vid. I.e., all chewed up and patched. Aye carumba! It's also so narrow. Yup, I'll be puttering around tomorrow.

Surface is decent. Its just bumpy in some some sections. Exit of turn one, entrance to 2, turn 6 and the last corner before the straight. It's really not that bad. I rode Grattan before the repave and that was sketchy... tar snakes, bumps, dips etc...

Quote Originally Posted by stormcat View Post
    Good idea.

I'm watching one now. Please tell me the surface isn't as bad as it looks on the vid. I.e., all chewed up and patched. Aye carumba! It's also so narrow. Yup, I'll be puttering around tomorrow.
    The surface at Cayuga isn't bad, 'Bogie may have spoiled you though - though to find another track that wide and smooth.
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by sircastic View Post
    The surface at Cayuga isn't bad, 'Bogie may have spoiled you though - though to find another track that wide and smooth.
    Funny you should say that, sircastic. Guess who crashed out on her first lap upon entering T6? Yup, me! Fifth year riding and my first ever crash. I'm glad it was at the track and not on the street. And I'm so glad my first (and hopefully last) crash was a simple lowside as well. Whew! Snapped the clutch lever perch, but Chris at the Turn2 mobile shop had a universal perch/lever for it so I was back out on the track within 2 hours. Yay, Chris! And a HUGE yay to my buddy I was there with and another rider I didn't even know who were on my bike fixing the damages immediately! That was just... amazing.

Ironically, I actually thought of you afterward. "Trust your tires." But I think I should have put more trust in my tires after they were warmed up. I made quite the track newb mistake.

As for being a narrow track, at least my bike didn't have too far to slide before it was in the grass (20' of asphalt sliding since I went down right at the apex). I could not pick up my bike for the life of me, so I had to wait for the track boys to come and pick it up. How embarrassing!

The surface at Cayuga is pretty slick and slippery compared to Calabogie. I didn't start feeling like my tires were grabbing until I had put 3 laps in. Under hard braking in the straight after T2 the rear went all greasy and squirrelly on me as well. That didn't bother me at all though. What did bother me was getting a taste of what a true TD is like with being passed by fast riders constantly. And sometimes they were so close to me (including on the inside of corners) that I could have tapped them with my elbow as they went by. By around 3:00 getting passed like that was bothering me less and less. But sometimes it was still annoying because I would want to set up for the next corner but couldn't. I would hold my line because I knew a fast rider was going to slip into the opening and I wanted to remain predictable for them.

Interesting experience, though. I'd go back there for sure.

Me (in front in the white leathers, yellow eyes on the bike) on my first lap after the crash. I was pretty terrified about getting back out there, and it shows. I was feeling better by my last session, but let's just say this is going to be a 2 steps forward, 1 step back kind of learning experience for me.

Last edited by stormcat; 07-15-2011 at 09:14 AM.