vintage bike racing suggestions

Thread: vintage bike racing suggestions

vintage bike racing suggestions

Hi all. i am a relativity new motorcycle rider, and completely new to the motorcycle racing.

I am thinking about turning a 1974 CB200T into a race bike. i thought it would be perfect. but i thought i would get a few opinions before i get my sights set on racing it, and start plunking down money on it.

the bike would obviously be on the vintage circuit, but does anyone know if these are race worthy bikes?

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Re: vintage bike racing suggestions

Check with these guys: http://www.vrra.ca/

or maybe even these guys: http://www.cvmg.ca/

Test Report on the CB200

http://www.abacuscaralarms.co.uk/bik...st_report.html
    Last edited by Baggsy; 07-11-2011 at 07:45 PM.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

With the VRRA you would be racing water cooled TZ250s... and ME! The little thing wouldn't stand a chance.
    A CB200T would NOT make an competitive vintage race bike... actually it would be a slug.

not a chance huh? i am more interested in the experience of racing old bikes, not necessarily to win, or even to place. however that being said any other ideal bike suggestions ?

you need an all mighty Honda cbr600f1 hurricane. 25 years later its still surcharged by insurance companies.

FZR400 is the way I would go to get into the vintage side...and talk to "Brian P" to get started, if you are serious. I think he has one almost ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by wesnile View Post
    not a chance huh? i am more interested in the experience of racing old bikes, not necessarily to win, or even to place. however that being said any other ideal bike suggestions ?
    It is not fun getting blown away by EVERYthing else. It is not safe being on the track with something in which everything else is going twice your speed. Do you want to spend money and effort building something which has next to no resale value as a race bike (because it is not competitive)? A race bike always has to be built with consideration towards what class it is going to be in.

And, I do have an extra FZR400 that I'll sell at the right price. Currently a street bike, but it has been a race bike in the past and would be easy to change over. It would make a competitive Period 4 Formula 3 bike for VRRA, a competitive Lightweight Sportsman bike for RACE, and a competitive Vintage Lightweight bike for SOAR. It is not a basket case and it is not a pristine museum piece. Lowballers need not waste their and my time, but I'm open to a reasonable offer for it.

If you just want to have fun racing a really small bike, look into the CBR Cup class, or talk to Fawaz at www.racer5.ca and just ride a modern CBR125. It'll probably be faster than that CB200T anyway, and it will certainly handle better, and be more reliable, and you can order parts at the dealer and they will actually be able to get them ...