So I have a "high risk takedown" question

Thread: So I have a "high risk takedown" question

So I have a "high risk takedown" question

I was looking at some motorcycle racing vids and the TV was on in the background. If I heard it right, one or more of the GTA police forces did two high risk takedowns today..... and they kept getting the WRONG couple. So if I understood it right, they were looking for a couple (not sure about the reason) and they took down one couple, then another, and they weren't the right ones. In both cases they showed video of peeps on the ground in the middle of the street and cuffed up. Now I'm not sure if it was the correct footage... but it kinda looked like it.

Anyhoo - question is.... if you are completely innocent and you get tossed on the ground and cuffed up..... if you get hurt or there is property damage done.... do you have recourse for reimbursement?

Re: So I have a "high risk takedown" question

You saw nothing, understand? Now move along before i make an example out of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Metastable View Post
    Anyhoo - question is.... if you are completely innocent and you get tossed on the ground and cuffed up..... if you get hurt or there is property damage done.... do you have recourse for reimbursement?
    depends on,,, like if you're Rodney King... and someone gets the video...

A quick search doesn't show a hell of a lot, of data. I found news stories about a couple of lawsuits, but nothing about final findings. I also couldn't find any judgments. I tend to think that this means settlements were reached though, rather than the cases failing. If they hadn't been successful, there would still be judgments to find.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I saw a gun response from Mississauga Police once and it was efficient, thorough and non-brutal. Some old fart thought it was funny to carry a toy pistol. He may have gotten cuffed temporarily but not taken away so probably no charges. First class by the cops.
    The old guy's daughter came close to getting arrested because she was trying to go to his defence.
    It may have been a different story if the guy looked or acted menacing.
    Can we have the whole story complete with audio / video?

Yes, Just look at the Russell Williams case, the guy was guilty as hell, but the cops still paid for damage done to his home in the search for evidence. So if your innocent, I would think the same rules apply. However just simply being detained in cuffs while your identity is confirmed is well within the scope of the law, if you resist and get hurt, you have an uphill battle on your hands. Normally there is no reason to get hurt in a take-down.
    1990 Fatboy
    Stage 3 EVO

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Ghost View Post
    Yes, Just look at the Russell Williams case, the guy was guilty as hell, but the cops still paid for damage done to his home in the search for evidence. So if your innocent, I would think the same rules apply. However just simply being detained in cuffs while your identity is confirmed is well within the scope of the law, if you resist and get hurt, you have an uphill battle on your hands. Normally there is no reason to get hurt in a take-down.
    Some police are very agreesive and tazer happy. Depends on how they were taken down, what the physical damage is on their body and what witnesses say. Everything is subjective in this world.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

So, you want to dress up like a gangster, hope for some mistaken identity by the police and win the lottery?
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Ghost View Post
    Normally there is no reason to get hurt in a take-down.
    It hurt, it hurt lots: http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../15/c9202.html =(

No resisting on my part!

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    It hurt, it hurt lots: http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../15/c9202.html =(

No resisting on my part!

-Jamie M.

Jamie,

I suprised you're still alive to tell the tale. With that many guns, you'd figure they'd shoot first and ask questions later.

Interesting.... so it sounds like they probably try to keep things hush hush. I dunno man... it would kinda suck for you and your wife to be face down behind your car in the middle of the street.... just because you drive the same make of vehicle as the perps.