'99 Honda Rebel venting Problem

Thread: '99 Honda Rebel venting Problem

'99 Honda Rebel venting Problem

<span class="Apple-style-span">Hey All,<br><br>I thought I would post my situation to the forum to see what creative solutions I could get. I'm still a noob and don't really know where to look for the answers to my question. I'm going to describe the situation in the best detail that I can.&nbsp;<br><br>Problem:<br> My gas tank is not venting, causing the engine to bog down and&nbsp;eventually&nbsp;cut out while while riding. It is also causing pressure to build up inside of my tank, with the only way to relieve it being to open the gas cap (I believe the term for the situation is Vapor Lock, but I'm not sure. Any clarification on this would be appreciated)<br><br>Details:<br>-the bike is an american model, but not a California model (90% sure about that)<br>-The hotter it is outside the more the pressure builds up. On really hot days it can get to the point that the gas cap almost shoots off when i turn the key. In the morning after a cold night, it is the reverse. It seems that there is a&nbsp;vacuum effect and the gas cap is a little harder to pull off&nbsp;<br>-If the fuel level is low enough and I try riding without the gas cap on, the problem goes away<br>-Over the past weekend when it was really hot the pressure built up to the point that it caused a small leak out of the bottom of the tank. I have since sealed it up (a temporary solution, but it is working) Also, i leave the gas cap ajar when parking the bike during the day to prevent it from happening again<br>-The proper solution to this problem is supposed to be removing the tank and unkinking/uncloging the venting hose underneath the tank. I have taken the tank off and was unable to find any tubes like that. I spoke to the parts department at Markham Outdoor Power and they said it sounds like I am missing those hoses, but I should be able to find the nipple on the underside of the tank that the hoses connect to. They also said that even if the tubes are missing, the tank should still be able to vent. I took my tank off and was not able to find said nipple. I looked all over, it just isn't there. That leads me to believe that my tank is not the stock tank for the bike (any idea how I could confirm this?)<br>-My gas cap looks like it is a stock Honda gas cap, and the key for the gas cap and ignition are the same.<br><br>My Assumptions:<br>After doing some research online, what I think has happened is that at some point through out the bikes life the stock '99 Honda Rebel tank was taken off and replaced with a tank from a model from the mid-80's, which did not have a vented tank but a vented gas cap. I have seen a picture of these vented caps, and they seem almost identical to the non-vented gas cap from the later models that had vented tanks. So I think that what I have is an non-vented tank and an non-vented gas cap, which is leading to the pressure build up. Either that or the tank was just replaced with an non-vented aftermarket tank.<br><br>The soultions I've come up with:<br>-So far the only solution i have been able to come up with is to just get a vented gas cap. The problem is that I cannot find one. i have looked online, but I have been unable to find a vented gas cap for a Honda rebel, OEM or aftermarket. Any ideas where I could find one?<br><br>I am open to any suggestions about how to get my tank to vent, and would really appreciate any&nbsp;</span>advice that can be given.<br><br>Thanks in advance everyone<br><br><br>
    Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.

Re: '99 Honda Rebel venting Problem

Don't know what happened to the formatting, I posted as a new thread that is easier to read
    Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.