Want to appeal conviction but 15 days have passed

Thread: Want to appeal conviction but 15 days have passed

Want to appeal conviction but 15 days have passed

Last year I got 2 tickets, 1 for speeding (70km in a 50 zone) and 1 for not having my insurance with me. So I decide to fight the tickets since I do have insurance and go to court in Toronto to request a court date, got my tickets stamped, etc. But the thing is I never received a notice of trial and now I'm passed the 15 day limit to request an appeal (I'm guessing this might be due to the postal strike). Is there anything I can do here or am I SOL?

Re: Want to appeal conviction but 15 days have passed

technically its 15 days from the day u found out about the conviction, not from the day of the conviction. so due to the postal strike u should be ok

Do you know, for certain, that there has been a trial?
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

No, I'm not sure. Won't be able to call them until later so I'll confirm then.

Quote Originally Posted by phunksouljah View Post
    No, I'm not sure. Won't be able to call them until later so I'll confirm then.
    Once, five of my friends were chased down by an over zealous OPP officer (he was the most dangerous thing on the road, that day) and presented with tickets for speeding at 100 Kmh over the limit. Said officer had never laid eyes on them; apparently he was relying on his ears to judge the speed. My friends hired local paralegals, to represent them, who ultimately determined that the tickets were never even submitted.

So make sure that the charge actually exists and that, indeed, there has been a trial.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tribal250 View Post
    technically its 15 days from the day u found out about the conviction, not from the day of the conviction. so due to the postal strike u should be ok
    no. 15 days from conviction. pleading ignorance doesnt work, even if its true.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Once, five of my friends were chased down by an over zealous OPP officer (he was the most dangerous thing on the road, that day) and presented with tickets for speeding at 100 Kmh over the limit. Said officer had never laid eyes on them; apparently he was relying on his ears to judge the speed. My friends hired local paralegals, to represent them, who ultimately determined that the tickets were never even submitted.

So make sure that the charge actually exists and that, indeed, there has been a trial.
    I didn't get to speak to anyone but got a response to my email. My court date was on June 16 in morning. I was told to go see them if I wanted to discuss this further.

its actually 15 days from when u were made aware of the conviction

Banned

show me where it says that.

So I went to the courthouse and was able to speak to the JP. Wanted this done and over with so I took a deal. They withdrew the charge for failing to surrender my insurance and dropped the speeding to 15 over with no points. This is the first speeding ticket I've gotten in over 20 yrs of driving (only the last 3 have been on a bike). Crossing my fingers that it doesn't affect my insurance.

11. (1) A defendant who was convicted without a hearing may, within 15 days of becoming aware of the conviction, apply to a justice to strike out the conviction. 2009, c. 33, Sched. 4, s. 1 (16).

This is taken from the Provincial Offences Act
    Quote Originally Posted by rukus View Post
    show me where it says that.

Banned

fair deal