Upgrading from sport to cruiser - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading from sport to cruiser

Re: Upgrading from sport to cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    Good luck...just thinking that after a sport bike the cruiser might be a let down in the twisties.....
    Seems a sport tourer covers both and may have better seating for your size over the low cruisers.

Depends on your intended use. .....lot of money if you get it wrong
    Wouldn't exactly call the GS500 the sportiest of sports bike...but oh well.

Cruisers are as much fun in the twisties as you want them to be. And when you've been riding for 8 hours with your sport bike buddies...you'll be much happier.

Sorry MacDoc...just gotta represent the tribe ya know? lol
    2007 VRSCDX Night Rod Special - aka. The Bike I wanted in the first place.
    2002 Honda Shadow 750 ACE

Straight Pipes 4 life!

I bow to superior wisdom - just goin' by the title
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Maybe one day joeyjoejoe will upgrade all the way to a scooter.
    Last edited by Baggsy; 07-11-2011 at 09:31 AM.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    No need to shift, super comfortable riding position, TONS of storage?

We can all one day dream of upgrading to a scooter.

Straight Pipes 4 life!

Quote Originally Posted by Myztyk View Post
    VROD is a high demand bike at those demo rides. And given the nice weather, recovering economy....HD rides are way busier than they were last year. I remember being able to get on 3-4 rides in a day last year. Other option is to head down to Niagara to a Clare's demo ride day for HD. Guys out there tend to be less interested in the VROD.

That being said, demo rides are pretty much populated with retards. On a Ducati ride, had some guy sitting about 2 feet off my rear tire like we'd been riding together for years. And Suzuki had this little tiny guy who took out an M109 that was obviously way too big for him, wobbling all over the place. Leave some space in front of you and enjoy the ride...that's my only recommendation.
    I gave the guy in front of me lots of space because he just got his M2... But he rode perfectly. I totally expect a bunch of morons to show up at the Suzuki demo ride.

I changed the title... happy? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    I actaully did ride a scooter last year... and got mocked! I was doing a friend a favour because his wife was pregnant and her Vespa needed an oil change prior to storing it away for the winter. There were these two guys, just hanging around the dealership while we were waiting and they commented on my buddy's Ducati... then they wheeled out the Vespa and they started howling when they realized I was riding it. I got the black helmet with skulls, black jacket, jeans, boots and gloves... and hop on a white Vespa with a pink key chain. Yeah, my buddy owed me big for that one.

On the way back, I figured, I might as well have fun with it... I challenged every car to a race at every red light.

One thing to think about if you are getting a cruiser. Buy an already customized one because the crap is expensive. Like get one with the windshield, saddle bags, engine crash guards, even if it has slightly higher mileage.
    2009 Yamaha V Star 650 Midnight Custom

Quote Originally Posted by MadPoet View Post
    One thing to think about if you are getting a cruiser. Buy an already customized one because the crap is expensive. Like get one with the windshield, saddle bags, engine crash guards, even if it has slightly higher mileage.
    +1 to this!

Straight Pipes 4 life!

Nice read -thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by joeyjoejoe View Post
    I'm riding a starter bike... anything is an upgrade from where I'm at.
    Nothing wrong with downgrading btw.... some people get a big cc bike only to realize they were happier with the smaller bike...

Harley has demos all the time. Just need to head to their website.
    Or send me a PM and I'll get you the local dates and locations
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyjoejoe View Post
    Even though I was there about 45 minutes early, I couldn't get a V-ROD in the early sessions. I went on another bike which was too small for me. I had plans at 11:30am, so I didn't try out any more bikes... Note to self... get to the Suzuki Demo ride much earlier and clear the calendar.
    The demo team is there for 730. Sign up starts at 9 and someplaces the line up starts at 8. The Toronto demo was slow so try coming out to that one. Missiauaga was the busiest I have seen out of the local sites. As for someone pulling stupid **** and going past you etc... REPORT IT TO THE DEMO TEAM PLEASE! Chances are they will get asked to leave. That behaviour isn't allowed and it is an insurance issue for the demo.

+1 to this!
    Or look for second hand parts and repair/repaint yourself as needed.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Originally Posted by Baggsy
    maybe you should too.....it's all going that way instead of ancient tech you are riding......try something modern for a change.....
    twisties to touring

Taking an easy but fun ride through the Santa Ynez Mountains above this coastal city north of Los Angeles, the VFRs proved easy to ride with huge power on tap and effortless handling. Even a lifelong gear-jammer like this rider found a lot to like about the DCT transmission: In automatic mode, it made city driving a breeze and gave a tired left hand a rest. In the two-lane twisties, putting the tranny in sport mode made for aggressive revving and seamless shifts exactly when desired.
    http://content.usatoday.com/communit...r-motorcycle/1

Honda got the picture with the VFR DCT
    Burgman 650 and big Aprilla 850 owners have known it for a while.......

You get to concentrate on the riding ....not gear juggling.

The MANA has been somewhat of a revelation. A motorcycle that offers some of the benefits us scooterists take for granted. For example the MANA has the ability to store a full face helmet where you would normally find the fuel tank, the tank has been relocated under the seat.
    The MANA also boasts the convenience of being able to choose between "full auto" or "semi auto", you make the choice. You can also choose between 3 different engine map settings, sport, touring or rain. All very convenient and different from the motorcycling norm.
    Introducing the Aprilia MANA GT ABS. A new updated version of the previous MANA featuring a touring screen and ABS as standard.
    The MANA GT ABS has all the sporting prowess of a sports bike being light, nimble and fast. Though here is where it all gets interesting....
    The MANA can quickly change roles with the flick of a switch, becoming a twist and go commuters dream. You make the choice, full auto, semi auto, sport mode, touring mode.
    we like having one machine that can do it all in good form and for 10's of thousands of miles reliably.. ( one rider has 140k MILES on his with nothing major ).

There is no doubt that the 650 is faster through the twisties than it's power and weigh would suggest it should be. You can push it right up to the limits of it's suspension and tires without much drama. Why is the bike faster than it looks like it has a right to be. Part of that is it's low center of gravity combined with front end geometry that is more like a sport touring bike than a cruiser.
    I think part of it is also the transmission that lets you forget about gear selection and concentrate on setup and line through the corner. Throw a little body english in to shift your weigh in a corner and you can run surprisingly fast.
    and still carry all the gear you like....not strap stuff on with bungie cords....

some of us understand that you can pretty much have it all......with a big scoot.

So yes maybe he will move up.....
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Get yourself a Harley sportster...just picked mine up and its totally badass. Best and most comfortable easy handling ride out there. Not to mention, it looks SICK.

Quote Originally Posted by izey91 View Post
    Get yourself a Harley sportster...just picked mine up and its totally badass. Best and most comfortable easy handling ride out there. Not to mention, it looks SICK.
    Bike looks awesome dude. However, given the OP's size claim, I wouldn't recommend a Sportster. It's a pretty compact bike and given his height and weight, he will probably be underwhelmed.

Straight Pipes 4 life!

I'm a big boy too and new to biking and I'm starting out with a touring bike - the HD Road King Classic. It's 800 lbs and I'm very careful with it - no funny business. The reason for this bike for me is that I plan on riding with my wife, and I want to use it for long range riding, so it needs to carry a bit of camping gear too.

This bike rides like a dream and has enough power to take me up a steep hill fully loaded with a passenger, but I'm sure it won't win any races. I guess it comes down to what you want your bike to be capable of.

My 2 cents is don't fear the big bikes and if you're going HD and are a big person like me then you might want to skip the Heritage classic (which comes fully loaded to save beaucoup $$) and go right to the biggest class of all - the touring bike. For me the RKC has the looks and if I'm pretty I don't have to be smart ftw.
    We couldn't fix your brakes so we made your horn louder.
    09 Road King Classic Mustang 4 piece super touring, VH 4" round, KN air filter, SERT, Dyno'd, 16" WO apes, various bits of parade chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by ypcat View Post
    I'm a big boy too and new to biking and I'm starting out with a touring bike - the HD Road King Classic. It's 800 lbs and I'm very careful with it - no funny business. The reason for this bike for me is that I plan on riding with my wife, and I want to use it for long range riding, so it needs to carry a bit of camping gear too.

This bike rides like a dream and has enough power to take me up a steep hill fully loaded with a passenger, but I'm sure it won't win any races. I guess it comes down to what you want your bike to be capable of.

My 2 cents is don't fear the big bikes and if you're going HD and are a big person like me then you might want to skip the Heritage classic (which comes fully loaded to save beaucoup $$) and go right to the biggest class of all - the touring bike. For me the RKC has the looks and if I'm pretty I don't have to be smart ftw.
    My dad has an Ultra Glide Classic, great touring machine and the motor is more the adequate power wise in my opinion. Smooth when your moving, shaking like mad when your stopped, and you roast from under the seat while waiting to move again, but once your moving its fine.

I am hooked on the BMW GS bikes though, just moved to my second, a 2010 GSA and I cant imagine a better long range touring bike then that. Great seating position, plenty of power, ESA which is amazing and can be used on the fly and a HUGE 32 L tank giving up and beyond 600 kms a tank. It has everything you could want in a bike save for cruise control, which kinda puzzles me, but doesnt bother me

After a shaft drive I would only buy a bike with a belt drive, I hate chains. Shaft and belt drives are really smooth and zero maintenance.

That's a sexy looking bike. I've seen them on websites where people are touring across the world - places like Africa etc. I'm happy with my bike as it serves my purpose and looks very nice. I'm willing to sacrifice some technical for good looks.

This is my bike with the windshield, backrest and sissy bar and luggage rack removed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-07-08-21.01.14.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	25616
    We couldn't fix your brakes so we made your horn louder.
    09 Road King Classic Mustang 4 piece super touring, VH 4" round, KN air filter, SERT, Dyno'd, 16" WO apes, various bits of parade chrome.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

maybe you should too
    Nah. With the tiny little tires on those things, my knees would be up around my ears. I had that experience on a Canadian made mini bike a long time ago.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ypcat View Post
    That's a sexy looking bike. I've seen them on websites where people are touring across the world - places like Africa etc. I'm happy with my bike as it serves my purpose and looks very nice. I'm willing to sacrifice some technical for good looks.

This is my bike with the windshield, backrest and sissy bar and luggage rack removed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-07-08-21.01.14.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	25616
    I am a big fan of the Road King, my cousin rides a 2009 or 10, cant remember the year. Can be decked out with a top case, plus the side bags, and is a good touring bike. Beautiful bike!

Re: Upgrading from a BEGINNER sport to a PERFORMANCE cruiser

Maybe its going to be interesting for you...i ve got 2011 Suzuki M50....i like it!
    It does everything i need. I am 6.1 and 250 lbs.....Corners- no problem ( check reviews, its a best cornering cruiser bike), 170 km/h - no problem, 2up -no problem. Range with 15.5 L tank - 330 km, i mean real km.....i dont know what to say, cause it does all for me. Contact me if you want to get more of real data...

Re: Upgrading from a BEGINNER sport to a PERFORMANCE cruiser

Nah. With the tiny little tires on those things, my knees would be up around my ears. I had that experience on a Canadian made mini bike a long time ago.
    'I ssee you have an deep understanding of the genre...

••••

JJ I'd look at tricked out used as well. Often half the price of new - this time of year especially there are good deals to be had. The trimming can cost a lot on a new bike.
    The market is soft for the "move up" bikes - so take your time and narrow it down.
    Unless you are after financing - I'd get a nice used machine rather than suffer the tender mercies of the dealers.

Also you will have better luck if you look outside the GTA for the bike you want. Quebec in particular the prices are often significantly lower and the mileage often hilariously low.
    My 2005 had 1900 km on it when I bought in 2010 - was a Quebec bike and others have mentioned the same pricing difference

If you find a model search google Ontario for sale xxxxxxx ( your choice of machine ) - gives you most of the listings
    Then try the same in Quebec. Tough economy and end of season can = super deals.
    Last edited by MacDoc; 08-24-2011 at 09:28 AM.

some of us understand that you can pretty much have it all......with a big scoot.

So yes maybe he will move up.....
    LOL... That picture just made my day...
    something just doesn't add up here. So big, so bulky, automatic, tons of storage... might as well drive a cage...
    The only time a scooter will be considered an upgrade is when... oh... wait... upgrade?... LOL
    I can't imagine how much fun my 750 would be if I didn't have to "juggle" the gears!
    Last edited by 2live&ride; 08-24-2011 at 10:04 AM.
    Mina