Home made indicators

Thread: Home made indicators

Home made indicators

Im making my own indicators, but Ive seen things where the indicator was DOT approved or off-road only.

Is there something to make it DOT approved or as long as they are amber is it good?

Re: Home made indicators

I doubt you can get it DOT approved, it probably requires expensive verification and testing. That being said, most undertails are the worst pieces of crap ever made and wouldn't meet any approvals. Go for amber, make it obscenely bright and you should have fewer problems than 90% of the other people that replaced the stock signals. There are rules in Ontario for distance between the signals (Rob has posted them before). If they are too close together, they become less useful (and more dangerous for you).

Quote Originally Posted by gnatwest View Post
    Im making my own indicators, but Ive seen things where the indicator was DOT approved or off-road only.

Is there something to make it DOT approved or as long as they are amber is it good?
    Look up CMVSS 108. That's the standard to which vehicle lighting is required to conform to.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Look up CMVSS 108. That's the standard to which vehicle lighting is required to conform to.
    Brian is spot on. I wish you luck understanding all the photometrics in the some of it is pretty brutal.

The reality is though, that only manufacturers and importers actually need to comply of CMVSS. Even a Canadian manufacturer if they are manufacturing in one province and not shipping across a provincial boundry do not need to comply with federal standards, only the provincial standards. It is how T-Rex got their start in Quebec, by not importing the vehicle or shipping across provincial boundries.

Therefore if you would not really have to comply with federal standards, only meet the provincial standards.
    You can't fix stupid

haha, yea that was a little too complex. Ive fitted my indicators, at night they will certainly be acceptable, but I havent had a chance to review what they look like under sunlight. Better than no indicators I think. I had to take mine off to fit my Givi Rack.

Quote Originally Posted by gnatwest View Post

i'd like in on this. i've looked around quite a bit at a lot of after-market stuff. and quite frankly most of it is *****! so let's build some nice stuff eh?! i like the potential of some of this stuff... http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...rake-turn.html

let's make some wicked indicators!
    Street: 1994 Honda CBR 900RR Fireblade, black/charcoal
    Track: 2004 GSX-R 600 red/white/purple #27

My new ones are installed now. Cost me roughly $15 in parts from Active surplus. I just dont know how they will look in the sun yet. If they arent bright enough I will just modify the LED portion. I made them totally modular. no cutting to my wiring harness, they just plug in like stock.

I'll take some pictures later.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw_1979 View Post
    The reality is though, that only manufacturers and importers actually need to comply of CMVSS. Even a Canadian manufacturer if they are manufacturing in one province and not shipping across a provincial boundry do not need to comply with federal standards, only the provincial standards. It is how T-Rex got their start in Quebec, by not importing the vehicle or shipping across provincial boundries.
    Well, that's somewhat incorrect. If you are manufacturing vehicles intended for sale in Canada, you must meet Transport Canada standards even if your sales will not cross provincial boundaries.
    http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/t...4-menu-685.htm