Good Idea?

Thread: Good Idea?

Good Idea?

I'm curious whether its a good idea to hurry up and get my M2 even though I won't actually own a bike for a couple years. Does the insurance go down if you've had your license for 3+ years but never carried motorcycle insurance?

As well I've noticed people saying how they are a tall rider @ 6'1...I'm 6'6 am i screwed?!?

Re: Good Idea?

yes, having the licence does help. it would help if you had moto ins. get a scooter - it's like 2-300 per year and it'll help in 2 years when you get your 'real' bike.

at 6'6 you'll have a hard time fitting on most modern SS bikes comfortably - remember, they're getting smaller and smaller! if you don't fall into the 80% of ppl thinking SS bikes are the best thing since sliced bread, there are tons of nice bikes that'll fit you nicely.
    where's the wind?!

I'm leaving Canada and traveling the world for 2 years. So its not that i'm just not going to get a bike. It just isn't practical.

But you're saying that having had my license will still lower my premium?

they ask how long you've had it, so it must have some impact - just don't know how much. prob actually having insurance is a plus. any insurance counts, i think , so if you can still be 'occasional' on your parents/aunts/grandparents car it's still better than having NO ins history whatsoever.

then again, this is just speculation from what I've seen my friends pay - there are ppl here that work in ins, so they'll know for sure.
    where's the wind?!

Hi Action,
    I did what you were asking, and in terms of the insurance, it DID make a massive difference as mihnea suggested, they ask how long youve had your M2.
    Both SF and Meloche ask if youve had it at least a year, Statefarm stated as soon as u have the M2 for a year it didnt matter if youve had it longer because you passed the 1 yr mark.
    I never had motorcycle insurance but have had my G for 7 yrs? I got quotes for immediately after my M2...compared that to what I paid now (after waiting 3yrs) there was a good $1500-2000 difference in insurance?

With regards to experience though...I got on a bike after 3 yrs of NOT riding and only having ridden as a passenger and at the course... lets just say I dont retain information well.

So with regards to the insurance I say wait, in terms of riding ability, having more recent training is always better?

Quote Originally Posted by mihnea View Post
    6'6 you'll have a hard time fitting on most modern SS bikes comfortably - remember, they're getting smaller and smaller! if you don't fall into the 80% of ppl thinking SS bikes are the best thing since sliced bread, there are tons of nice bikes that'll fit you nicely.
    Although these aren't necessarily beginner bikes, they may interest you anyways:
    -Yamaha fz6r
    -the new cbr600f looks cook. I don't know if they plan on bringing it to Canada though
    -Kawasaki 650r
    -Suzuki sv650
    -Maybe Suzuki Gs500

Also I may have just wasted my time listing all these supersport bikes. If you're a cruiser guy you should be able to find one that fits; although I have no idea what that would be. Maybe these crazy monkey bars would look normal on you :P.

These are 'full sized' bikes with more relaxed geometry. At 6'6'', your knees would likely be super close to your elbows on bikes like an R6 (not too sure about other SS bikes though).

getting your licence now may allow you to ride when travelling
    x

I can't speak for insurance, but in terms of your size an SS might feel pretty cramped. I have the opposite problem, but riders like us who are extreme in size always have to do a bit of extra work when it comes to choosing bikes.

I know that dual sport bikes offer some relief to those with taller inseams. Maybe something like the KLR650, which is also more beginner-friendly. I know someone mentioned the 650R and SV650, but I've heard complaints about their size from taller riders as well. One solution a 650R rider had was to get an aftermarket seat which lifted him an extra inch and therefore relaxed the knee angle somewhat. Cruisers (if you're interested in the style) will only work if you get one with forward controls that allow you to stretch your legs. It doesn't lend well to precise handling. I'm sure taller riders will chime in with their solutions.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

Quote Originally Posted by mihnea View Post
    if you don't fall into the 80% of ppl on GTAM thinking SS bikes are the best thing since sliced bread, there are tons of nice bikes that'll fit you nicely.
    Fixed.

BTW, 80% of non-416/905ers think non-SS bikes are the best thing since sliced bread.