GS500 max speed in top gear? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GS500 max speed in top gear?

Re: GS500 max speed in top gear?

Quote Originally Posted by mma01 View Post
    Why is everyone mentioning weight when referencing their top speed? Sure, weight plays a big role in acceleration, but unless you have a limited distance to achieve top speed, it will largely be irrelevant to terminal velocity. Of course, if you are really are a fat bastid, it may affect aero.
    http://www.dragsource.com/index.php?...s&calctoview=7

Horsepower to weight ratio is the amount of weight every 1 horsepower on your car has to push. Your power to weight ratio will appear here once you input your Wheel Horsepower and Curb Weight above. Don't forget to include your body weight.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    http://www.dragsource.com/index.php?...s&calctoview=7Horsepower to weight ratio is the amount of weight every 1 horsepower on your car has to push. Your power to weight ratio will appear here once you input your Wheel Horsepower and Curb Weight above. Don't forget to include your body weight.
    mma01 was talking about top speed, not acceleration, how did you miss that?

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    mma01 was talking about top speed, not acceleration, how did you miss that?
    Yeah a bike will acheive top end speed regardless if a rider is 100 pounds or 250 pounds.

Yeah a bike will acheive top end speed regardless if a rider is 100 pounds or 250 pounds.
    Exactly, one would just take longer to reach that speed.

Saying you need a more powerful bike cause you are using the wrong gear - says you don't actually need a more powerful bike.
    Well put. Still getting used to downshifting to overtake. Don't need it on normal streets where I am under 80km/h, at most. Seems to be more relevant on highway. Still would like a little more umph.

Exactly, one would just take longer to reach that speed.
    Yep and that's why bigger riders often drop the rear sprocket by a tooth. Of course that wouldn't affect top end speed would it?

Yep and that's why bigger riders often drop the rear sprocket by a tooth. Of course that wouldn't affect top end speed would it?
    You probably mean INCREASE the rear sprocket by one tooth, but changing gearing will obviously change both the acceleration rate and top speed. Also, I've never heard of it being common to select a sprocket size based on the riders weight. This is new to me. Are your posts serious? I can't tell of you are simply making mistakes, or trolling?

You probably mean INCREASE the rear sprocket by one tooth, but changing gearing will obviously change both the acceleration rate and top speed. Also, I've never heard of it being common to select a sprocket size based on the riders weight. This is new to me. Are your posts serious? I can't tell of you are simply making mistakes, or trolling?
    After 4000 posts and a member since july 2007 and you are confused on sprockets 101? Not to worry I will help you out. Often heavier riders have a tough time accelerating and maintaining highway speeds with stock gearing. To compensate they will go to a sprocket ONE TOOTH smaller! My bike has 15 T front sprocket. A heavier rider will change the Front sprocket to 14 T to help with acceleration and maintaining highways speeds. Doing this, the bike will be operating at Higher RPM. Going to a smaller sprocket you lose Top End Speed. On the flip side if you went to a 16 T sprocket your Top End would increase. Here's the kicker your bike has to have the torque to propel The Bikes Weight and Your Weight to take advantage of top end gained by a larger Front Sprocket. In your world, the weight of the rider has no effect on the acceleration and top speed of bike. WTF. Are your posts serious?

After 4000 posts and a member since july 2007 and you are confused on sprockets 101? Not to worry I will help you out. Often heavier riders have a tough time accelerating and maintaining highway speeds with stock gearing. To compensate they will go to a sprocket ONE TOOTH smaller! My bike has 15 T front sprocket. A heavier rider will change the Front sprocket to 14 T to help with acceleration and maintaining highways speeds. Doing this, the bike will be operating at Higher RPM. Going to a smaller sprocket you lose Top End Speed. On the flip side if you went to a 16 T sprocket your Top End would increase. Here's the kicker your bike has to have the torque to propel The Bikes Weight and Your Weight to take advantage of top end gained by a larger Front Sprocket. In your world, the weight of the rider has no effect on the acceleration and top speed of bike. WTF. Are your posts serious?

Dude - in your post #26 in this thread - you are talking about a smaller REAR sprocket - and I tried to correct you. Now you are talking about a smaller front sprocket as if that's what you said all along. (are you seriously calling me out on sprockets 101?)

and, I've tried to be very clear, but you don't seem to get it. in my world (the real world), acceleration is most definately affected by weight and power to weight ratio - no-one in this thread ever said otherwise. Top speed however, for all intents and purposes - is not affected by rider weight.

After 4000 posts and a member since july 2007 and you are confused on sprockets 101?
    I didn't realize that posting on the board gave magic knowledge. I joined more recently and have a lower post count. Clearly, the wise "ItIsWhatItIs" will edumacate me on the finer points of "Sprockets 101"

Top speed however, for all intents and purposes - is not affected by rider weight.
    @#!%$
    Last edited by ItIsWhatItIs; 02-20-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Yeti View Post
    I didn't realize that posting on the board gave magic knowledge. I joined more recently and have a lower post count. Clearly, the wise "ItIsWhatItIs" will edumacate me on the finer points of "Sprockets 101"
    no concept of inference.

In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit. Perhaps by post 6000 you will get there.
    lol... Sprockets 101 again I see....
    I assure you, if you reduce by 1 tooth in the rear, and compare with reducing by 1 tooth on the front sprocket, those 2 scenarios will have the opposite effect.

It absolutely makes a difference which sprocket you reduce the teeth from

please stop "schooling" everyone with your non-sense.

please stop "schooling" everyone with your non-sense.
    Oh and your sense a 500 lb rider or 100 lb rider will achieve the same top end speed on a bike. WTF, the kettle calling the kettle black.

Oh and your sense a 500 lb rider or 100 lb rider will achieve the same top end speed on a bike. WTF, the kettle calling the kettle black.
    500 lb rider vs 100 lb rider is a little excessive, but essentially, yes - it would just take much much longer.

For all intents and purposes (meaning a 120 lb rider or a 220 lb rider) - same/similar top speed - but not the same acceleration.

And FYI - the expression you are incorrectly using here is "pot calling the kettle black", not kettle calling a kettle.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_cal...e_kettle_black

Quote Originally Posted by itiswhatitis View Post
    in any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. E.
    fail

Weight has direct influence on tire's rolling friction. That is one of the friction forces your engine should cancel out to keep the bike speed constant (zero acceleration).

When you add weight to the rider, the rolling friction is increased. Since your maximum engine force is constant, your maximum speed drops up to the speed where the new rolling friction is cancelled out by engine force.

Keep in mind that rolling resistance is proportional to speed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by koorosh View Post
    Weight has direct influence on tire's rolling friction. That is one of the friction forces your engine should cancel out to keep the bike speed constant (zero acceleration).When you add weight to the rider, the rolling friction is increased. Since your maximum engine force is constant, your maximum speed drops up to the speed where the new rolling friction is cancelled out by engine force. Keep in mind that rolling resistance is proportional to speed as well.
    So minuscule compared to the wind resistance. On my GF's GS500f, top speed with me on it VS top speed with both of us on it is virtually indistinguishable on her analogue speedometer. The acceleration rate is immediately noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    fail
    In another thread on GTAM where it went into flame mode the concept of Forum Trolling was revealed to be not what people thought it was. Trolling means the same as devil's advocate.

Trolling?

In another thread on GTAM where it went into flame mode the concept of Forum Trolling was revealed to be not what people thought it was. Trolling means the same as devil's advocate.Trolling?
    I am guilty of feeding the troll

http://www.urbandictionary.com/iphon...?term=trolling