Just found out my bike has a sealed beam headlight...f***

Thread: Just found out my bike has a sealed beam headlight...f***

Just found out my bike has a sealed beam headlight...f***

1982 Honda Sabre V45
    Sealed headlight Anyone know where I can get a replacement that will accept H4 bulbs? Or even a replacement that comes with an HID kit?

Looking for something like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7X6-H...item43a7d0c764

They do not ship to Canada, anywhere in the GTA that would have these?
    Last edited by silverbullet132; 06-23-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Re: Just found out my bike has a sealed beam headlight...f***

You could rent a mailbox in buffalo and go get it. Not sure how it's done but heard of guys doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by dricked View Post
    You could rent a mailbox in buffalo and go get it. Not sure how it's done but heard of guys doing it.
    With the price of gas, this might not be economical. In any case, I use http://www.usaddressinc.com/. One pays $5 to register and $5 for each package received. They are located just 1km beyond the Lewiston border crossing.

To the OP, if you haven't already tried, maybe one of the auto suppliers in the Pacific Mall might have such a bulb conversion or might know where to get one.
    - Robert.
    1988 BMW K100RT
    2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

bosch used to make replacements that took h4 bulbs ,, worked awsome in my 79 blazer

Any bike shop can order you one from the EMGO catalogue.

DO NOT use a car headlight, they are different from motorcycle headlights.

Quote Originally Posted by robmack View Post
    With the price of gas, this might not be economical. In any case, I use http://www.usaddressinc.com/. One pays $5 to register and $5 for each package received. They are located just 1km beyond the Lewiston border crossing.

To the OP, if you haven't already tried, maybe one of the auto suppliers in the Pacific Mall might have such a bulb conversion or might know where to get one.
    Better than waiting for it in the mail.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

Quote Originally Posted by robmack View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's free to register.

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    DO NOT use a car headlight, they are different from motorcycle headlights.
    Really? Why is it that you think that? I have a H7 bulb in my mazda pulled straight from a CBR125.
    STIG 3.0

This is getting way off topic but ... You may be right because it says "free to register" on the web site. However, I know it cost me a one-time $5 fee to register a couple years ago and ... last time I went to pick up several parcels, they tried to charge me again. They said my name wasn't registered in their system. Looking at the package, I found out it was a clerical error on their part (THEIR STAFF transcribed my name improperly onto one of my packages) and I avoided the charge.

There are other mailbox services in Buffalo and Niagra other than US Address that may be better; I know that I am satisfied with these people.
    - Robert.
    1988 BMW K100RT
    2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    Really? Why is it that you think that? I have a H7 bulb in my mazda pulled straight from a CBR125.
    I don't THINK a bike headlight is different than a car headlight, I KNOW it is.
    A car headlight is focused to the right, a bike headlight is focused straight ahead.
    The bulbs are the same, the reflectors are different.

A car headlight is focused to the right, a bike headlight is focused straight ahead.
    I do beleive you are very wrong on this.
    Again............
    Really? Why is it that you think that?
    So are both left and right CAR headlights focused to the right? The link the OP posted was for a car and if the mounting is correct it would totally work with no aiming to the right as a problem.

If I need to learn something here please show me where you learned this, nothing personal but I need more than your say so that this is fact.
    It's too easy to quote fact online with no back up............I don't THINK car headlights are focused straight, I know it is. See how easy that was for me.
    STIG 3.0

So it seems that you might have a leg to stand on but only with the single fact that headlights are focused to the right, but this is not a car vs motorcycle thing. It's about right side drive roads vs left side drive. ALL vehicles headlights are aimed the same based on the country where the vehicle is expected to be driven. The beam does seem to still focus straight down the road with less spill over to the opposite side of the road starting at about 40 Meters.

Buying a headlight (car or bike) that was made for a country with right side drive roads will work here.

STIG 3.0

Car headlights are normally designed to be operated parallel to the ground, if you tip them, your rectangle of light lights up more sky and less road.

OP, when I had my Honda I got a reflector from a company called Candlepower (http://www.candlepowerinc.com). It was an immense improvement (although not without issues). The Candlepower reflector had sharp cutoffs and very little spill, this made for much much better projection, but at night, the spill used to light up a large area (such as ditches) which were then completely dark. It looks like they may only make round reflectors though.

Another alternative would be to add PIAA's as driving lights as they throw a round beam. Make sure your electrical system can stand up to another 110W load before you do this though.

I do beleive you are very wrong on this.
    Again............

So are both left and right CAR headlights focused to the right? The link the OP posted was for a car and if the mounting is correct it would totally work with no aiming to the right as a problem.

If I need to learn something here please show me where you learned this, nothing personal but I need more than your say so that this is fact.
    It's too easy to quote fact online with no back up............I don't THINK car headlights are focused straight, I know it is. See how easy that was for me.
    I have an idea.
    Instead of making a fool of yourself here, tonight, go outside and turn on the headlight of your bike and compare it's light pattern to the pattern of the headlights on your mom's car.

I have an idea.
    Instead of making a fool of yourself here, tonight, go outside and turn on the headlight of your bike and compare it's light pattern to the pattern of the headlights on your mom's car.
    WOW!! I'm saying I was wrong and you were correct, just not fully. I learned something today and it seems that you're not big enough to say the same. We all learn things on a daily basis exscept you it seems. So be it.
    Show me where someone other than you says this is limited only to cars cause everything I found said it's about vehicle laws in
    different countries based on side of the road driving and applies to any and all vehicle headlights that have the potential to glare drivers in the oncoming traffic lanes.

And was that a lame attempt at a dig there with the mom comment? My mom's car is my old car, when I bought the new one and she liked my old car so I gave it to her. I could make my own joke with compairing my bikes headlight to your mom's headlights when I'm there tonight but I won't go there, that would be rude.
    Last edited by butters; 06-26-2011 at 08:34 PM.
    STIG 3.0

The ebay seller is located about 40 minutes from me. If this is the only source, paypal me the $$ and I will order the light, go pick it up and ship it to you.