old motorcycle insurance help

Thread: old motorcycle insurance help

old motorcycle insurance help

I did a search on the site for classic/vintage/older motorcycle insurance rates, it looks like most of the posts have said that Jevco or SF seems to be the only ones that insure older bikes.

I'm looking for insurance on a late 60s ('68 or 70s cruiser.

Basically I just wanted to confirm what I've read and wanted to ask if there are any brokers or someone at Jevco or whereever that any of you have dealt with and would recommend?

"We are motorcycle people; we walk tall and we laugh at whatever's funny." -Hunter S. Thompson

Re: old motorcycle insurance help

Is it going to be a show bike or a regular rider?
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    Is it going to be a show bike or a regular rider?
    mostly weekend... maybe some weekdays (1 or 2)

"We are motorcycle people; we walk tall and we laugh at whatever's funny." -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by pei View Post
    mostly weekend... maybe some weekdays (1 or 2)
    It doesn't sound like it would qualify for an antique policy then. You could ask your broker/agent about antique policies and their restrictions though.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

What constitutes "show bike"? Its state or value?
    Is there any show in particular that is "required"?

I ask this as I thought that there is an appraiser who actually determines does the bike qualify for vintage insurance and not just statement over the phone (show or occasional use) or someone who might not be familiar with bikes (history of bikes rather) at all.

I am looking (as one can see from the above) for the answers on this as well...

Yep Jevco and SF are the only ones. everyone else is looking for the loooong VIN number which none of the older bikes whether imported or not will have.

Quote Originally Posted by n416 View Post
    What constitutes "show bike"? Its state or value?
    Is there any show in particular that is "required"?

I ask this as I thought that there is an appraiser who actually determines does the bike qualify for vintage insurance and not just statement over the phone (show or occasional use) or someone who might not be familiar with bikes (history of bikes rather) at all.

I am looking (as one can see from the above) for the answers on this as well...
    Assuming the requirements are the same for old cars and bikes, if you put the historic plates on it severely limits how you can use the vehicle. You can only drive to the mechanic, a car show, or an organised cruise. You can't just take it our for a spin (although some people will do this and if they crash, call other friends with classic cars and say they were on a cruise). I think there may also be yearly limit on km's, but I am less clear on this one.

As far as appraisal goes, MTO gave me historic plates no problem with no paperwork other than the ownership. They just care about age of the vehicle and you agreeing to the conditions of the historic plate. Once I figured out the restrictions on them, I very quickly returned them and got real plates. I needed appraisals for the MTO to decide how much tax to pay (I bought the car 'not running' so the price was lower than would be expected) and to get the insurance company to give me a quote (and now I have non-depreciating insurance).

I have a policy through Aviva, broker is Dalton Timmis (Hamilton, Burlington). I had to get a professional appraisal, ($120?) good for 5 years. Gives me full appraised coverage, had a not at fault accident, they paid up, and no real issues. No restrictions that I am aware of. It is about same price as basic from Jevco.