Can am spyder - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can am spyder

Re: Can am spyder

After checking out comparison pricing between a used miata and a used spyder .....and weighing the fact my girlfriend ain't all that crazy about being out in the elements all day long during a touring vacation. I'm definitely leaning toward a miata convertible. Although the spyder might have more storage...lol.
    I'm the biker...she ain't, but I do giver her credit she climbs on my Buell for a couple hour tour on occasion.
    I seen a 00 Sprint for sale....that would be a nice 2nd bike.

Excellent suggestion. Recently, I was out for a solo ride and ran into older gentleman with his wife cruising down the highway in a cobra replica. The look on his face said it all - he had a smile on his face ear to ear the whole time. This is a timeless design and gets thumbs up from EVERYONE. Personally, I have absolutely no desire to ride a can am spyder, but one day, I WILL own a factory five cobra.

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    Sportbike performance, convertible, head turning, and all automotive enthusiasts love this car, regardless if they are into old cars, drag racing, auto cross, road racing, etc........and if you are mechanically inclined, you could build one for a little more than a Spyder would cost.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderings View Post
    How tall are you? I know some pretty small, height wise, people who ride goldwings with no issue.
    Lil Mel's user name is very fitting. A GS would be out of the question.

Here's my 2 cents. I put 27,000kms on a Ural in a year and a half. And like the Spider it was the worst of both worlds, but it was still a 'real' motorcycle with a heavy steel sidecar attached.
    My son and I did a trip to the East Coast with the Ural loaded down with camping equipment, tools and lots of spare parts. On Hwy 132 in Quebec we came accross a guy riding a Spider with his daughter. My Ural's 38 hp and 1300lb GVW couldn't keep up with him in the straights but I was able to catch up to him in the gentle sweepers. His traction control wouldn't let him go fast on curves, while my only limitation was the tip over point of my bike, which was up to me to test. Now, the Ural sucks in curves and really, really, sucked in Twisties. But on this day, on some cool sweeper turns, a Spider was even worse.
    I have heard that it is possible to turn the traction control off on certain models of Spiders.

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    Sportbike performance, convertible, head turning, and all automotive enthusiasts love this car, regardless if they are into old cars, drag racing, auto cross, road racing, etc........and if you are mechanically inclined, you could build one for a little more than a Spyder would cost.

NICE .... Ha no I can't I don't have the talent to build one......

I'm not a fan of the spyder myself, But yea go test ride it and see if you like it.
    My Ride: 2009 Ninja 250R SE

4"11 almost 5 and thanks it sure is fitting hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by RichinOville View Post
    Lil Mel's user name is very fitting. A GS would be out of the question.
    Your Friends are your Family ..Your Bike is your Best Friend .Throttle That *****!!!! ..(as the hubby says) haha
    2003 Suzuki Savage LS 650

I have never seen a Ural before lol i think your right you can turn the traction control of I am pretty sure but i dont know if im willing to pay that for a snowmobile on wheels ,i think it looks hot and stability is a huge pro on it .But i don't think i want to give up the bike feel .
    Quote Originally Posted by RichinOville View Post
    Here's my 2 cents. I put 27,000kms on a Ural in a year and a half. And like the Spider it was the worst of both worlds, but it was still a 'real' motorcycle with a heavy steel sidecar attached.
    My son and I did a trip to the East Coast with the Ural loaded down with camping equipment, tools and lots of spare parts. On Hwy 132 in Quebec we came accross a guy riding a Spider with his daughter. My Ural's 38 hp and 1300lb GVW couldn't keep up with him in the straights but I was able to catch up to him in the gentle sweepers. His traction control wouldn't let him go fast on curves, while my only limitation was the tip over point of my bike, which was up to me to test. Now, the Ural sucks in curves and really, really, sucked in Twisties. But on this day, on some cool sweeper turns, a Spider was even worse.
    I have heard that it is possible to turn the traction control off on certain models of Spiders.
    Your Friends are your Family ..Your Bike is your Best Friend .Throttle That *****!!!! ..(as the hubby says) haha

For almost the same money you could get a Goldwing trike that is maybe 2-3 years old. Probably a much better ride. Check the autotrader online, there was a bunch of them.
    99 R1, SS Swing Arm, Mag rims, wolf undertail exaust... and more toys not going to mention.
    02 Gsxr 1000

Quote Originally Posted by RoadHogg View Post
    For almost the same money you could get a Goldwing trike that is maybe 2-3 years old. Probably a much better ride. Check the autotrader online, there was a bunch of them.
    You really have to test drive both to determine if you like the handling of either. I admire anyone that rides a trike or spyder but, the only thing they have in common is three wheels. After that, it's a completely different story.

I think if I get to a point that I can't do 2 wheels anymore, I'd look to a spyder over a trike. Even though a trike keeps most of the "bike".

But, then again, I'd probably go with a Mustang/Corvette convertable before making the step towards 3 wheels. I may have a different perspective when I get to that point though.

Bottom line, if it works for you, go for it. Damn anyone else's opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by nakkers View Post
    You really have to test drive both to determine if you like the handling of either. I admire anyone that rides a trike or spyder but, the only thing they have in common is three wheels. After that, it's a completely different story. I think if I get to a point that I can't do 2 wheels anymore, I'd look to a spyder over a trike. Even though a trike keeps most of the "bike". But, then again, I'd probably go with a Mustang/Corvette convertable before making the step towards 3 wheels. I may have a different perspective when I get to that point though.Bottom line, if it works for you, go for it. Damn anyone else's opinion.
    That sums it up I'm not ready To give up my 2 wheels yet lmao

I have test ridden 2 Spyders....one of them I had for a half day.
    You cannot turn off the driving aids. They are VERY intrusive, and put and end to the party very well. CanAm did this of course for legal reasons...they don't want to be sued by idiots who tip machines over in traffic etc..... They have made the stability management, traction control, and ABS, all integral to eachother. It will actually go so far as to begin braking one outside wheel for you, and cutting power to the drive wheel, all by itself, even if you do not touch the brakes, should you start tipping one wheel off the ground, going too hot into a turn, etc.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

I discussed the spyder with a friend of mine who rides sportbikes and who took it out for a good test drive. He pushed it to it's cornering limits and said that he could push it quite far before the wheel came off the pavement in the corners or the safeties kicked in. I think it's an option for Mel as I don't think she's the type to push it that far. As far as snow machines....I grew up owning one and luved it. If anyone has looked at the links I posted, that company offers a trike conversion that including the price of a new bike would almost be the same as a spyder. I think it would look better, and out perform any spyder out there. There's a small add on that will make the suspension lean into the turns so that your sportbike trike will still perform and feel like a regular bike. I'm going to look into this alot more. Failing this option, I'll look at the spyder again.....
    Ride it like you stole it...

I tested a Spyder and didnt like it. The front wheels are just far enough apart so that it darts around between the "tracks" in the car lanes - kind of disconcerting when there is an 18 wheeler coming at you! Also, they dont lean...steering seemed like quite a chore. Give me a bike any day! It would be nice if Bombardier would put some of that engineering expertise into a touring motorcycle instead.