"M" class license test... taking mine soon.. tips??? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "M" class license test... taking mine soon.. tips???

Re: "M" class license test... taking mine soon.. tips???

Last edited by nfq; 06-24-2011 at 08:30 AM.
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

Take the test in Aurora!

When you bring your bike in to take the test do you guys back into the spot or drive in? If so does the tester make you park it the opposite way when you are done? Much like the G2 test or G test? So if you are on your bike and the test has started and its running and you are walking it backwards, you would have to put ur corresponding blinker on to leave the parking spot? Is that relevant here?Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevestang View Post
    When you bring your bike in to take the test do you guys back into the spot or drive in? If so does the tester make you park it the opposite way when you are done? Much like the G2 test or G test? So if you are on your bike and the test has started and its running and you are walking it backwards, you would have to put ur corresponding blinker on to leave the parking spot? Is that relevant here?Thanks
    When I did my test in Durham, my bike was parked in the spot, nose first. The instructor came out, introduced himself, asked to see the lights on the bike (turn signals, brake lights, horn) made sure they all worked. Made sure the brake light came on independently via front and rear brake. Once that was done, he explained what was gonna happen. "Here's the radio, slip it in your jacket, the earbuds fit most people. Adjust the volume now, if you can't hear me or you didn't understand what i said, tap the top of your helmet with your left hand. If we need to pull over, we will do so at the next available street or plaza. Ride as you normally would, don't try and make sure we're following you. Any questions?"

I just asked him what he expected for the emergency stop, and that was that. I didn't use any turn signals until i was moving forward and in front of the chevy aveo they were following me in. Pulled the bike out, moved it forward 2 feet, waited for them to get behind me and that's when the test started. Used turn signals even in the parking lot to navigate outta there (all the other car testers in the same lot).

hope that clarifies it a bit.
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

Exaggerate the head movements i.e. shoulder and mirror checks. I never tried this, but a few others have recommended using reflective tape along the side of your helmet so the appraiser can see that you are moving your head around.

Approaching intersections - you want to show the appraiser that you are using caution when approaching an intersection by looking both ways. They always want to see that you are keeping an eye out for pedestrians so again, shoulder checks and mirror checks.

If you are taking the test in Aurora be warned, there is a railway crossing component during this test that is kind of tricky. Make sure you plan ahead of time and practice the test route. If you don't know the route, ask someone to show you the route.

When I came across a red light or a stop sign, I believe I had one foot on the ground. Right foot on the brake.

AND When in doubt, please refer to the motorcycle rider training manual. It'll help freshen your memory on the rules of the road and proper riding techniques. Hope this helps.
    Mystique
    It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by stevestang View Post
    Had mine nose in, backed out. When we came back they just told me to park it and that was it - designated testing spaces were all taken, so I looped around and parked a few cars down from the chase car. Used my signal when backing out just to be on the safe side.

Oh yeah, Stevestang - you'll want to wear more gear than your avatar photo or they'll bounce you then and there for not having proper gear. Goodbye $75 registration fee.
    Kohlarbonez... 'Cause Running Wide, Front Brakes and Grass Just Don't Mix....

Quote Originally Posted by Bigevildoer View Post
    Oh yeah, Stevestang - you'll want to wear more gear than your avatar photo or they'll bounce you then and there for not having proper gear. Goodbye $75 registration fee.
    No they won't. I've seen people take the test in t-shirts. Especially cruiser riders. There is nothing in the handbook or law about having to ride in a jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    No they won't. I've seen people take the test in t-shirts. Especially cruiser riders. There is nothing in the handbook or law about having to ride in a jacket.
    Well, when I booked it over the phone, they specifically told me that I need to wear proper gear or they will not administer the test and I would have to rebook it just like if I had failed it.

So, he can take his chances I guess... Personally, I don't care if the rider doesn't wear gear - I squirm when their passenger doesn't, 'cause they have no control over the situation.
    Kohlarbonez... 'Cause Running Wide, Front Brakes and Grass Just Don't Mix....

Passed my test 3 weeks ago.

TIPS:

Move your helmet around when looking into mirrors, blindspots or looking at hazards.
    Make a complete stop at stop signs/red lights when turning
    When stopped have 1st engaged with the clutch pulled in, leg on rear break
    When doing emergency stop. Shut off bike. Put stand down and get off the bike.
    Turn off turn signal max 5 sec. allowed.

If you do all of this you will pass. Good luck!
    My top 5 iPhone apps:

#1. Amoveo #2. Angry birds #3. PS Photoshop #4. Real Racing #5. Cut The Rope

2008 Yamaha R6 - CE - SOLD

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/signaturepics/sigpic21557_1.gif