Idling bylaw 1 minute

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idling bylaw 1 minute

Idling bylaw 1 minute

Did a search for this one...didn't see any posts regarding this.

What if it takes on average 3 minutes for your bike to warm up? I really don't want to ride it before it is ready.....is there an exemption for motorcycles? (non-injected, City of Toronto)

Re: Idling bylaw 1 minute

dude i wait longer idling at red lights sometimes. I dont thing theyll be after you for letting your bike idle for a warm up period.
    2oo2 gsxr600

Useless law

There is no exemption from this bylaw, unless you're in a select group including police, fire, etc.. Even BOATS are not exempt.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I can't see police enforcing that in all but the most extreme circumstances.

There are occasional blitzes, in which they tag anyone that they see.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Could you not just shut the engine off, wait a minute, then start her up again, to be legal and get a full warm up?
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    Could you not just shut the engine off, wait a minute, then start her up again, to be legal and get a full warm up?
    Why would you even need a "full" warm-up anyways? I've got an older carburated bike. I get on it, start it in the garage, push it back it out of the garage while still sitting on it, and I'm on my way. I doubt that takes more than 30seconds. I just ride it easy for the first few minutes while it's getting fully up to temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Why would you even need a "full" warm-up anyways? I've got an older carburated bike. I get on it, start it in the garage, push it back it out of the garage while still sitting on it, and I'm on my way. I doubt that takes more than 30seconds. I just ride it easy for the first few minutes while it's getting fully up to temperature.
    Another one of those rare cases where I fully agree with turbo's premise (even though I'm not so sure about the bike ownership thing)
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

If it isn't running, then it's cooling off.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Yes, but you run it longer than you let it cool off.

Could you just turn it off and right back on again or is that a grey area of the law that could go either way?

Some older bikes take longer than 3 minutes to warm up.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Banned

Some older bikes take longer than 3 minutes to warm up.
    True, but is that the same as saying that they are incapable of being operated until fully warmed up? You probably don't want to push the bike hard until everything is warmed up, but running it gently shouldn't cause any harm to the engine and tranny, and it should also help bring the bike up to temperature a bit quicker. It's not like you need to worry about a windshield defroster or heater to start functioning before setting out.

I probably have one of the most notoriously cold blooded bikes. I can start and go pretty much at any kind of temperature. I adjust the choke for the first few blocks as it warms up. It's warm within a few blocks.

No issues what so ever. And I generally only do this in the morning at home.

Otherwise, start it, put on helmet/ear plugs etc. By the time I'm ready sit on the bike, she's pretty well ready to go. 2 minutes tops.

My carburated bike is 20-21 years old.. I fire it up under full choke, put on my lid, put on my gloves, push in the choke and take it easy for the first couple of minutes. The whole procedure (minus the taking it easy part) takes under a minute. If your bike won't go after a minute of idling, you need to do some wrenching on it.

Where this law pisses me off are turbo'd vehicles. Some might take a bit more idling to cool down sufficiently. There should be an exception made in those cases.
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578

I don't think starting it should be an issue. It's not like you're going to be riding it hard right away, like a few others have said.. just take it easy for the first few minutes then everything is warm so let'er fly.

I'd be concerned for anyone driving a turbocharged car. My Talon TSI had a turbo-timer. Depending on my driving it would idle the car for up to two minutes even after i turn the ignition off, get out, arm the security system and walk away. I think the average idle time was about 1m15s.

when bike not fully warmed up u can still ride just keep the rev low, dont redline it.

its more of a taxi law when they are waiting for pick ups. do you think soccer moms waiting for their kids at school give a ****. their kids are breathing that air. cops could easily hang out in front of schools. its more of a downtown deal. not an issue for bikes.
    first bike 1986 FZ 750 had for 3 years
    Second 1991 FZR 1000 had for 8 years
    currently 2008 R6 enjoying my 4th year
    2009 aprilia rs125 2nd year

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

It's so dumb. Think of all the people idling down the 401/404/403 every day because of how over capacity the roads are. Fixing that would reduce pollution WAY more.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Quote Originally Posted by unL33T View Post
    It's so dumb. Think of all the people idling down the 401/404/403 every day because of how over capacity the roads are. Fixing that would reduce pollution WAY more.
    One measure costs money while the other makes money.. Guess which one will be chosen

I don't think that our roads are as badly over capacity, as you might think. Part of the problem is all of the morons who think that they are more important than everyone else, force their way ahead in traffic, and then bog EVERYONE down. If we could get some traffic enforcement for things other than speed, I think that you'd find commute times would come down a fair bit.