court appearance reimbursment

Thread: court appearance reimbursment

court appearance reimbursment

I couldn't find anything in a search...
    A while back, I saw a person near a motorcycle when the alarm went off.. someone else actually yelled at the person, who ran away.
    The owner of the bike came out a minute later.. and heard the alarm. by this time I was closer to the situation, and I said ,, yup, some "guy" was touching your bike,, but got scared off.
    We were chatting for a minute, then the cops came,, so I walked away , back to loitering with my coffee..
    then the cops walks over and ask a couple questions... what did you see ? etc.
    I told them I did see a person near the bike.. but couldn't say anything else ,, I was too far away to see if it was male, female,, and the person ran the other way

Ok,, now I got a supoena to appear as a witness. I called the Crown and stated I really have no evidence to report,,, someone touched a bike.
    The supoena says for theft under and possesion.
    so they caught the guy,, and he still had the goods... I didn't even know he took anything.??
    Crown says I MUST APPEAR ????
    ok,, I take the day off work, no holiday pay or sick day allowed,, and travel 100km to court... and I ask the Crown again,,, why I am here?
    SHE asks a few questions , then says,, I'll might not call you to testify then" but wait around... Fawk! for what,, I have things to do that is costing me money! Fawk!
    ok,, now it is past noon! and I am upset enough to go find the crown again,, gone for lunch, but the secratary tells me,, the guy plead guilty first thing this morning!!!!!

so I can go!

ok...... I asked for money to cover time and expenses! .... Nope..nothing we can do about it.... we don't pay wages, time, only travel and not for locals!
    FAWK!

You know what will happen next time..... I was in the washroom sir... didn't see a thing!

For some reason I was under the impression they paid a pitttance to appear? I was paid by the crown, AND the defence many years ago , to appear for the same case, they explained that wasn't allowed, or normal, but both gave me $25 ea..
    can anyone elaborate on the payment ?

Re: court appearance reimbursment

Which court?

A quick search shows......

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...es_90c52_e.htm
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 06-17-2011 at 02:45 PM.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Thanks Rob, Ontario Criminal Court
    if I read correctly,, that links to http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...es_90a06_e.htm Administration of Justice Act which states the fees,,, and that says,, only payment to people out of ONTARIO!
    wow....
    Last edited by meester_jamie; 06-17-2011 at 03:15 PM.

Unfortunately I believe that is correct. I was called back several times, for the same case, and was never compensated.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

... and one wonders why the police have trouble finding witnesses.

Ontario is bigger than many countries. Hell, it's 5x bigger than my old country before it split up into 6 1/2 pieces. Unless it's bloody murder, you'll be hard-pressed to see me testify anywhere beyond Richmond Hill or Hamilton.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

We on one hand complain that nobody gets caught stealing motorcycles, but also complain when we assist the system that nails a guy doing stuff to a bike?

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    Ontario is bigger than many countries. Hell, it's 5x bigger than my old country before it split up into 6 1/2 pieces. Unless it's bloody murder, you'll be hard-pressed to see me testify anywhere beyond Richmond Hill or Hamilton.
    Understandable. If a visitor from Thunder Bay had to return........ 4 days driving, 4-5 days hotel and meals, car expenses = well over $1000 + lost wages.

What is disgusting is the OP wasn't told immediately that they were no longer required in court.

The deal wasn't made, until that morning. Sure, he should have been told that he could go, once that was determined, but how do they hunt down someone they don't know the appearance of? Page? Sure. Catch him when the case is called? Easy. If he didn't check in, with the desk, then he wouldn't know until they did contact him. That means he would have showed up for court, at any rate.

Blame the accused, for not pleading guilty until that morning.

I am thinking that the crown said to the defence.... there is a witness here willing to testify... and the defense said to the criminal,, looks bad for you,, better plead guilty and try to look like a sad puppy and say you won't do it again...

Likely true, and essentially what happens with all of those people who take their traffic tickets to court, hoping that the cop won't show up. I was rather ****** when the "mobility products" salesman, who hit me at a stoplight, filed for a court date and then didn't bother to even show up. So was the cop.

That's weird. I have personally witnessed people getting reimbursed for going to court in Milton when they only came from Guelph. It's nothing compared to wages/time off etc. but it was at least something to cover travel costs.
    Con - Brantford