Complete newbie needs hand held with first bike >.<

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complete newbie needs hand held with first bike >.<

Complete newbie needs hand held with first bike >.<

Okay, so recently having been stripped of my car for family reasons and not because my driving was poor, I am now looking into becoming a Rider.

So here's my scenario:
    - Had my G2 for the last 13 months.
    - Have not yet attained my M1 but plan to as soon as possible. Am in the middle of looking for my lost MTO Motorcycle Handbook.
    - Do not have a bike, nor do I know exactly what bike I want. I would prefer to get a Vespa, but whatever I can get that's good for a beginner rider, cost-effective, functional, and relatively appealing to me aesthetically will do. I will try my best to keep an open mind with the appearance because of my other requirements. It will absolutely need to be something with a capacity of ~330lbs, as I plan to make grocery shopping trips. Price is my biggest concern other than that.
    - worried about insurance; I have heard that State Farm will not insure any M licensee without five years with a G license. I have heard with some limited-speed vehicles insurance is not needed but I have nothing to confirm this by.

So I'm now wondering what my options are - when I get my M1 license, what are my options regarding a vehicle that I can get insurance for, if I need it? I'm not sure if I'm going for a full-fledged motorcycle, a scooter/moped or if I need to look at one of those 30 kmh excuses for a scooter, or if it's best to buy new or used, etc...

Am totally at a loss, and my research hasn't helped much.

Please help. >.<

Re: Complete newbie needs hand held with first bike >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Ichida View Post
    Okay, so recently having been stripped of my car for family reasons and not because my driving was poor, I am now looking into becoming a Rider.

So here's my scenario:
    - Had my G2 for the last 13 months.
    - Have not yet attained my M1 but plan to as soon as possible. Am in the middle of looking for my lost MTO Motorcycle Handbook.
    - Do not have a bike, nor do I know exactly what bike I want. I would prefer to get a Vespa, but whatever I can get that's good for a beginner rider, cost-effective, functional, and relatively appealing to me aesthetically will do. I will try my best to keep an open mind with the appearance because of my other requirements. It will absolutely need to be something with a capacity of ~330lbs, as I plan to make grocery shopping trips. Price is my biggest concern other than that.
    - worried about insurance; I have heard that State Farm will not insure any M licensee without five years with a G license. I have heard with some limited-speed vehicles insurance is not needed but I have nothing to confirm this by.

So I'm now wondering what my options are - when I get my M1 license, what are my options regarding a vehicle that I can get insurance for, if I need it? I'm not sure if I'm going for a full-fledged motorcycle, a scooter/moped or if I need to look at one of those 30 kmh excuses for a scooter, or if it's best to buy new or used, etc...

Am totally at a loss, and my research hasn't helped much.

Please help. >.<
    Depending on your age, hand holding would be considered pedophilia.

Considering I was in the samse situation as you two years ago, as soon as you get your M1 book your riding course ASAP. Pass it, get your M2 and wait a year for your insurance premium to go down.

If you can't wait, do the same as what I said above except the waiting part. I cannot help you with the choice of scooters as I am not knowledgable of those. If looking for a sporty bike, go with a CBR125R.

And regarding State Farm, 5 years from when you received your G1 is when they will insure you.

Btw, how old are you?
    Winter: '04 Acura TSX
    Summer: '06 Ninja 650R
    Daily: Coming Soon

Enough of the handholding jokes, it was a poor metaphor, I get it. :P

I'm 23 next week.

I was not part of that hand holding class. (You'll get it sooner or later)

When did you get your G1?

I can't remember exact date but I know I did wait the whole five years duration of my G1 to get my G2 because I knew as soon as I had my G2 my family would have me running ragged doing errands for them, which did happen, so I should be safe in that department.

State Farm would be your best choice then.

Probably also because my father has some policies with them. :P I just emailed them to provide a quote for me.

I'm unsure whether someone has mentioned, but maybe an electric is the best value option? You don't require insurance. Obviously, the ego is a little less satisfied, and some will debate the points of safety, but I believe that anything on 2 wheels is an adventure in risk tolerance. Cheers! ~ Adam
    Street: 1994 Honda CBR 900RR Fireblade, black/charcoal
    Track: 2004 GSX-R 600 red/white/purple #27

Get a Yamaha R6

Quote Originally Posted by Full Tuck View Post
    Get a Yamaha R6
    Fail..don't listen to that guy up there.

What you really want is a turbo charged Hayabusa with Nos, just like from Biker Boyz.

Quote Originally Posted by adamwest View Post
    I'm unsure whether someone has mentioned, but maybe an electric is the best value option? You don't require insurance. Obviously, the ego is a little less satisfied, and some will debate the points of safety, but I believe that anything on 2 wheels is an adventure in risk tolerance. Cheers! ~ Adam
    Is there anything electric that will go more than 80km in one charge? <.<;

if you don't need to use faster than say, 80 km/h , a scooter would be ideal and cost effective.

It really depends on your needs/finincial situation. You need to weigh the pros/cons and see if it is worth it. I'm also 23 and just got my first bike this year. To be honest, you need to add almost $3000, if not more, onto the purchase price of the bike for gear/insurance/M2exit etc... Also take onto account that if you got your M1 today, you wouldn't be able to ride full time until Mid August at the earliest. once snow hits the ground, you gotta park the bike, especially if your a noob like me.

From the sound of your situation, you would be better off getting your M1+M2exit under your belt this year and buying a car or an e-bike to get around in. Then wait until February/march to start looking online for cheap used starter bikes (people tend to list them a little better at that time of year as opposed to when riding weather hits) and be ready to ride first thing next year.

I did it the way where you et your M1, buy the bike then upgrade to M2. if you think taking the bus sucks now, try doing it when your shiny new (to you) bike is sitting in the driveway because you any take it because you only had an M1 and sundown is fast approaching. I know that feeling from experience, it sucks b***s
    Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.

+1 on the scooter. Get one with lots of storage since you'll be using it to run errands. Put your helmet inside when you park and then put your groceries in when you get back. They're cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to insure, fun and in style (especially with a 3/4 helmet).

Book your M2 course first. You can walk in anytime to write your M1. You will want to write your M1 60 days before your M2 so you can go straight to the drive test to submit the application (there is a 60 day wait period after obtaining M1 to upgrade). 90 days and it expires.

you can get a cbr125 for less than $3k easily. I believe you could score one for around $1800. turnaround isn't that great but should still be decent if you trade up in a year or so. Buy some bags ($150?), a scorpion helmet ($150-200) and a jacket ($100-250) and you're good to go.

go ahead and get your M1 through a road course provider (they provide the bike), then get the electric. you can work toward your M2 while saving on insurance. because i don't know alot of 23 y.o. that have the cash to put a gaz bike on the roads. but maybe you do. just sayin. ELECTRIC! i see more and more of them these dayz.

check it out... http://www.daymak.com/bikes-toronto/es/mainsect.html
    talk about it... http://electricscootertoronto.ca/
    Last edited by adamwest; 06-15-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichida View Post
    It will absolutely need to be something with a capacity of ~330lbs, as I plan to make grocery shopping trips.
    WTF are you buying at the grocery store that weighs 300lbs?! And why the hell would you consider putting it on a motorcycle lol.... unless that's combined with your weight.. and if that's the case I'm guessing you're almost 300 lbs and a CBR 125 will not work very well...

'02 ZX6R

^^^ +1 on the heavy groceries

the weight limit is including myself. <.<;

do you have a pedal bike?