Best trail bike for us - please help?

Thread: Best trail bike for us - please help?

Best trail bike for us - please help?

I tend to think of Honda as making the most reliable dirt bikes, and my wife and I are considering them. Although there are many other companies out there and this makes it confusing. PLEASE HELP US DECIDE.

My wife is 5.1", 100 lbs and a beginner. Maybe a Honda CRF 100F?

I'm 5.7", 170lbs and road a lot when I was younger and have driven many other off road vehicles and standard cars. I was thinking a Honda CRF 150F or 250F for myself.

But there are Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki...

Re: Best trail bike for us - please help?

For the wife - Honda Crf 100f, or 150f
    Kawasaki KLX 140
    Yamaha TTR 125
    Suzuki DRZ 125

(I'd probably go with the CRF100, Yamaha TTR125 or Suzuki DRZ 125. The CRF 150F might be a bit too much along with the Kawasaki KLX 140. Those are the models suited for trails and should be ok for you wife)

For you - Honda CRF230
    Yamaha TTR230

(Either one is good, both reliable machines - just look for the best condition and price) - If you feel comfortable enough with the Honda CRF 250X go for it, but the CRF or TTR 230's are excellent)

Banned

both my wife (5'6, slim build & busty), and i (6"195lb) are riding TTR-230, and work great for us.
    if you're looking for a good trail bike i'd suggest:
    wife
    ttr-125
    klx140L
    crf150
    TW200

I would think you'd be more happy with a mx (250 4 stroke)bike if you've ridden alot and want performance then a small trail bike will get boring quick. For your wife small is better though. I ride an rm250 in the trails (not fire roads, single track) and have no problem (been riding about 15yrs in t he ganny) but it can quickly get away from you but it makes enough power to keep me entertained and not wanting more.

I agree with a 150F for the wife.

For yourself, definitely go for a liquid cooled CRF250 over the more mundane and air cooled 230F.

I have a very tame Yamaha TW200 on hold at GT Bikes. This plan is that we share this one first and then go from there. I'm thinking about getting my licence later this year, so this bike is street ready as well. So ride trails and street should = best of both worlds.

If any one is interested I got a 2006 YZ450F for sale.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIght.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	24980 $3500 OBO

SOLD
    Last edited by S500K; 06-17-2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: sold

WOW... nice bike. Thanks for the offer, but I've decided to get my motorcycle licence so I need a true dual-sport bike.

Quote Originally Posted by S500K View Post
    If any one is interested I got a 2006 YZ450F for sale.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIght.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	24980 $3500 OBO

Excellent choice with the bike, and shop. I bought my street bike from them (I dealt with Jeremey)

How was your experience with them?

So far, so good Carl sold me this bike, but I haven't taken delivery on it yet. I'm looking forward to riding later this year though. Hopefully everything with the bike will be ok. I started it a few times now and it starts on the first go I guess they'll inspect it and tweak it before it's delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by S500K View Post
    Excellent choice with the bike, and shop. I bought my street bike from them (I dealt with Jeremey)

How was your experience with them?

"You tell...and I will smack you like a bad, bad donkey, okay?"- Pepe Prawn

Can't wait to start! I did the short 3 hour introduction to motorcycling course at Durham College last year. The school was using Kawi 140cc dirt bikes. The only thing is that Rod will have to be a bit patient while I practice. He has had a lot more bike time in the past. I love the bike!. Looks super .
    Quote Originally Posted by RodneyBR View Post
    So far, so good Carl sold me this bike, but I haven't taken delivery on it yet. I'm looking forward to riding later this year though. Hopefully everything with the bike will be ok. I started it a few times now and it starts on the first go I guess they'll inspect it and tweak it before it's delivered.

I guess they'll inspect it and tweak it before it's delivered.
    When I got my GSF500 from them, I arrived to a fantastic, blue and white, shinny, amazing bike nicely displayed (at there old location, in the back with the doors open) People asked and wanted to sit on it as they thought it was for sale, I didnt let them. It's mine!!!! Full tank of gas, new oil, fluids etc. I think it was Bob, who spent the whole morning prepping, washing, and waxing my plastics etc. The rims, frame and plastics were still in the same condition when I sold it recently. Amazing what their wax / polish dose.

They took care of everything.