Stunting on an e-bike?

Thread: Stunting on an e-bike?

Stunting on an e-bike?

Hey guys,

I just took another glance at the HTA and a thought came to mind: HTA 172 specifically applies to 'motor vehicles', and e-bikes are specifically designated as bicycles and excluded from being classed as 'motor vehicles'.

It seems to me like you could stunt on an e-bike with relative impunity, and the worst ticket they could give you is the 'Careless driving' charge for bicycles (http://www.toronto.ca/cycling/pdf/hta.pdf) - a $490.00 fine which is a huge pain in the ***, but no impact on your license or insurance and no impounding.

I guess a street-legal e-bike probably isn't even any good for stunting, but I haven't tried it yet. Clearly you can't do nearly as many cool stunts as on a real bike, but it might be a way to get some cheap fun in without the risk of getting HTA 172-ed.
    2007 Black/Silver GS500F, naked, 0.80kg/mm Sonic Springs.

Re: Stunting on an e-bike?

Seriously dude?
    Vivere est vincere

priceless!

Dude I can pull better wheelies with pedal power...

Quote Originally Posted by Varment View Post
    ...Are you going to want a full size casket or a pizza box to hold whats left of you later?
    Moving to Barrie? I can help! Download my contact info here: http://contacts.lucbouillon.com/download

Thumbs up Re: Stunting on an e-bike?

Good luck, hope e-bike stunting works out for u!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sx5lCJopc8

Nice find on the Stunting loophole.
    I WANT A RUSSIAN GIRLFRIEND BUT IS STUPID!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bombshelter13 View Post
    I just took another glance at the HTA and a thought came to mind: HTA 172 specifically applies to 'motor vehicles', and e-bikes are specifically designated as bicycles and excluded from being classed as 'motor vehicles'.
    Nice try, but bicycles are HTA 'motor vehicles', as many (many) cyclists have found out the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by bombshelter13 View Post
    Hey guys,

It seems to me like you could stunt on an e-bike with relative impunity, and the worst ticket they could give you is the 'Careless driving' charge for bicycles (http://www.toronto.ca/cycling/pdf/hta.pdf) - a $490.00 fine which is a huge pain in the ***, but no impact on your license or insurance and no impounding.

I guess a street-legal e-bike probably isn't even any good for stunting, but I haven't tried it yet. Clearly you can't do nearly as many cool stunts as on a real bike, but it might be a way to get some cheap fun in without the risk of getting HTA 172-ed.
    I don't see how any judge could justify a careless driving charge when you're performing any stunt that requires attention, care and control far beyond that of the reasonable person. That's probably why there's a stunting charge. But that's great to know. I always wonder about that when I'm doing wheelies on my mountain bike.

Quote Originally Posted by promac View Post
    I don't see how any judge could justify a careless driving charge when you're performing any stunt that requires attention, care and control far beyond that of the reasonable person. That's probably why there's a stunting charge. But that's great to know. I always wonder about that when I'm doing wheelies on my mountain bike.
    Wont fly in court, I got charged with dangerious driving for a very controlled wheelie. The judge called me out on how I could think it was not dangerious when I cant control the bike on one wheel, I explained I can slow down, speed up, change lanes, signal, check my blind spot, or even wheelie in a circle around a car. Didnt matter, in their eyes wheelies are dangerious or careless no matter how good you are at them. If anything it just ****** her off

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Wont fly in court, I got charged with dangerious driving for a very controlled wheelie. The judge called me out on how I could think it was not dangerious when I cant control the bike on one wheel, I explained I can slow down, speed up, change lanes, signal, check my blind spot, or even wheelie in a circle around a car. Didnt matter, in their eyes wheelies are dangerious or careless no matter how good you are at them. If anything it just ****** her off
    Were you on a motorcycle or bicycle? I'm assuming you were on a bicycle. Was it a judge or JP? Nonetheless, holy ****! That sucks! Kids can't have any fun anymore - it's no wonder they need Ritalin and antidepressants. I remember building ramps on the street and doing all sorts of crazy ****.
    Last edited by promac; 06-14-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by promac View Post
    Were you on a motorcycle or bicycle? I'm assuming you were on a bicycle. Was it a judge or JP? Nonetheless, holy ****! That sucks! Kids can't have any fun anymore - it's no wonder they need Ritalin and antidepressants. I remember building ramps on the street and doing all sorts of crazy ****.
    Sorry nevermind it was a motorcycle, didnt think you guys would be talking about bicycles in here...Although I wouldnt doubt there is some *** hat cop out there that would charge a bicycle rider

Imagine, a poor kid having to work all summer just to take his bmx out of impound

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Sorry nevermind it was a motorcycle, didnt think you guys would be talking about bicycles in here...Although I wouldnt doubt there is some *** hat cop out there that would charge a bicycle rider
    I would like to see it done... but not to me... not that i can wheelie to save my life....
    x

I can't see stunting on a scooter style bike, but maybe you could do some tricks with the power assist on a bicycle style ebike. In the end it will probably only give ebikes more of a bad name. Then what will you ride when your motorcycle license is suspended?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by harald View Post
    Nice try, but bicycles are HTA 'motor vehicles', as many (many) cyclists have found out the hard way.
    Bicycles are defined as being "vehicles", not motor vehicles, under the HTA and ebikes as defined by MTO regs are generally treated the same as bicycles.

However under the Criminal Code, ebikes are considered to be motorized vehicles. That means that you can still be charged with dangerous driving and impaired driving when on them. The dangerous driving could include stunting if done in a manner that could cause damage to property or injury to other people.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Dude I can pull better wheelies with pedal power...
    This guy looks pretty relaxed:

There's this posted on an bike rider forum. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpBX0...e_gdata_player