2006 GSX-R 750, Akrapovic exhaust set-up...

Thread: 2006 GSX-R 750, Akrapovic exhaust set-up...

2006 GSX-R 750, Akrapovic exhaust set-up...

To anyone that has a similar set up or knows someone who does, your input is greatly appreciated!
    Here's my question, I am looking into buying the Hex. slip on for my bike, not sure if the slip on eliminates the catalytic converter or not.
    I called Sportbike Track Gear and asked their sales rep. and his answer was "I don't think any slip-on eliminates the cat." He didn't sound so sure so I'm hoping to get an answer here...

Here's a picture of the stock exhaust...

Here's a picture of the Akra slip on...

Here's a picture of the slip on itself...

To me, It looks like the slip on eliminates the cat. I just want to get confirmation before I order, I contacted Akrapovic but I haven't received an answer yet.

Second question: Is a power commander required to tune the bike after installation or is it pretty much plug and play? I know it's pretty much mandatory if you're installing a full exhaust, but would the same apply for a slip on?

Thanks for your input.
    Mina

Re: 2006 GSX-R 750, Akrapovic exhaust set-up...

Quote Originally Posted by 2live&ride View Post
    To anyone that has a similar set up or knows someone who does, your input is greatly appreciated!
    Here's my question, I am looking into buying the Hex. slip on for my bike, not sure if the slip on eliminates the catalytic converter or not.
    I called Sportbike Track Gear and asked their sales rep. and his answer was "I don't think any slip-on eliminates the cat." He didn't sound so sure so I'm hoping to get an answer here...

Here's a picture of the stock exhaust...

Here's a picture of the Akra slip on...

Here's a picture of the slip on itself...

To me, It looks like the slip on eliminates the cat. I just want to get confirmation before I order, I contacted Akrapovic but I haven't received an answer yet.

Second question: Is a power commander required to tune the bike after installation or is it pretty much plug and play? I know it's pretty much mandatory if you're installing a full exhaust, but would the same apply for a slip on?

Thanks for your input.
    The info is right on the Akrapovic site, not to mention its pretty obvious from the pics that the cat is no longer on the bike with the Akra.....Here is the install instructions online in PDF, and yes it shows that you DO remove the cat, and their link pipe goes right to the header...
    http://www.akrapovic.com/typo3conf/e...06-2007_ii.pdf

I reccomend a PC or other FI tuning unit because you are removing the cat, it will affect the way the bike runs more then one that doesnt....
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 06-09-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    The info is right on the Akrapovic site, not to mention its pretty obvious from the pics that the cat is no longer on the bike with the Akra.....Here is the install instructions online in PDF, and yes it shows that you DO remove the cat, and their link pipe goes right to the header...
    http://www.akrapovic.com/typo3conf/e...06-2007_ii.pdf

I reccomend a PC or other FI tuning unit because you are removing the cat, it will affect the way the bike runs more then one that doesnt....
    Thanks Johnny, I appreciate it.
    So many FI tuning units out there, which one should I go for?
    Mina

Thanks Johnny, I appreciate it.
    So many FI tuning units out there, which one should I go for?
    I have a PCV and Autotune on my 09 ZX6R and really like that setup, although I got my 09 really early and that was the only thing on the market. I actually pre ordered it and got one of the first units in Canada...If it wasnt for that I would only consider the Bazzaz unit, when I Emailed them it was a few months before they would have the R&D done for the 09 ZX6R....

I installed a Bazzaz for someone off this site on a 08 GSXR 600, and there was a little problem with the unit at first as it would not connect to my computer...Even thou Bazzaz said there was nothing wrong with it when I sent it back, they re-flashed it and sent it back and it worked right away when I plugged it back in...It was going on with a Yosh full system and he also bought their o2 sensor tuning unit.
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 06-09-2011 at 03:10 PM.

I spoke to somebody at motomummy.com and they said they can program the powercommander before shipping it out... does that make it a plug and play application? (looking at the dynojet pc5).... would it be a bad idea to have it programmed before installation?
    Mina

Idealy, you want to match your air intake and exhaust (flow) to the fuel injection, without a dyno or a measurement of how much more air are moving through your engine, maybe you can email Akrapovic and see if you get an answer of how much increase in % and then you would want to match the fuel supply so you don't run rich/lean.

With butt dyno, you can adjust it until there is no back fire after the engine is reved up and on on it's way to idle. Back fire is the pop you hear when you let go of the gas and rev going down. It simply means there are unburn gas that got pumped out into exhaust valve and it burn in the header or close to the head or some times in the mids of the exhaust pipe.

It makes engine run hotter especialy header pipe, Harleys with straight pipe is notorious for back fire and you see their header pipe turn blue in no time.

If you tune it just right, your header should turn golden and into more of a dark copper tone if they are stainless.
    Last edited by wiredbeans; 06-09-2011 at 04:35 PM.

The headers on the bike are stock, I'm guessing this is something that needs to be professionally done... (not very mechanically inclined, so I won't even try to take on something like this)
    I've read on the forums that people recommend Rider's choice for dyno tuning. Just not sure what their rates are like.
    Mina

The headers on the bike are stock, I'm guessing this is something that needs to be professionally done... (not very mechanically inclined, so I won't even try to take on something like this)
    I've read on the forums that people recommend Rider's choice for dyno tuning. Just not sure what their rates are like.
    Z1 CycleTech are very competent of the Dyno. They tuned my '07 750 with a full race pipe and PCIII and Ignition module and found a little more power despite the "preloaded" map. Call the shop for estimates.
    Pi, Novice 728

Thanks for the all the advice and feedback guys, I really appreciate it...
    Z1 and RC both quoted me 300$ for dyno tuning, which sounds some-what reasonable.
    Now, I just have to order and wait for the parts to arrive
    Mina