Dual dirt bike rack?

Thread: Dual dirt bike rack?

Dual dirt bike rack?

Can anyone recommend a dirt bike rack? I was thinking about getting a rack instead of a trailer because I don't really have the space for a trailer and besides, you have to licence a trailer which equals extra costs.

Oh, another question, is a dual dirt bike rack legal in Ontario?
    Last edited by RodneyBR; 06-08-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Banned

Re: Dual dirt bike rack?

what sort of rack do you speak of?

like this sort of thing?

personally i would not use one of those. hitches are not designed for lateral flex/torque like that

Thanks. Yes, that's what I'm referring to, but one for two bikes.

Banned

that would definitely not be a good idea.

it will probably exceed the tongue weight limit on whatever vehicle/hitch you're using.

I'm with Rukus, turn too quickly and the chance of that snapping off seems considerable. Trailer license is a one time $35 dollar fee. If you pickup up one of the bike trailers with just 2 wheel tracks it wouldn't take much more room to store and would be much safer.

Trailer hitches are designed for a few hundred pounds of load down and thousands of pounds of forward and back loading. With those sketchy tongue racks you are putting a few hundred pounds down and a crapload of torsion in both directions. A double rack would be more than double the torsion loads as the length of the arm increases. It may hold together, but that would be more luck than engineering.

Yea, I kinda figured that

So now I need a trailer: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ikes&p=1574117

check out Harbor Freight over in the US. I picked up a foldable 4x8 trailer with 12" wheels for ~$300-350 (as did many others on this board). Folds up so you can store it away to the side. It'll come in 3 boxes I believe which fit in my Civic.

Nice, do you have their website/tel #. Also, did you pick it up in the USA, or did they deliver?

Is this the one you got: http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb...els-90154.html

I was actually looking at this one, Snowbear 6' Transformer (4060TB) folding trailer: http://www.snowbear.com/index.php?op...113&Itemid=331

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    check out Harbor Freight over in the US. I picked up a foldable 4x8 trailer with 12" wheels for ~$300-350 (as did many others on this board). Folds up so you can store it away to the side. It'll come in 3 boxes I believe which fit in my Civic.
    Last edited by RodneyBR; 06-09-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Yep, that looks like the one I bought. I drove down to buffalo and hauled it back in my civic. At the border I declared them as 'trailer parts' (which they are). Once assembled, had it registered with the MTO as a home-built trailer. Give this site a search and you'll find a bunch of threads specific to this.

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyBR View Post
    Nice, do you have their website/tel #. Also, did you pick it up in the USA, or did they deliver?

Is this the one you got: http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb...els-90154.html

I was actually looking at this one, Snowbear 6' Transformer (4060TB) folding trailer: http://www.snowbear.com/index.php?op...113&Itemid=331

Lucky for me, there is only 5 turns at intersections to get to where I ride up north, its all straight roads (surprisingly) - I have an aluminum one, works good for my single dirtbike. Total with the bike is about 265lbs behind a grand cherokee.

Although, Id pick up a small trailer if I had 2 bikes because yes your talking about 650lbs or so depending on your bikes.

I spoke to a trailer install place today and they said class III hitches are designed for a 400lbs load. So a single dirt bike rack is fine, but a dual one is pushing it

Single-axle, no brakes trailer licensing requires a one-time, $35 fee for the plate. No insurance or annual inspections. Storage space an issue for some, of course.