Cobra Speedster Shorts - any opinions?

Thread: Cobra Speedster Shorts - any opinions?

Cobra Speedster Shorts - any opinions?

I am looking to get the Cobra Speedster Shorts for my 2010 Vulcan 900 Classic (Fuel Injected). Does anyone have these pipes? I am looking for that deep rumble without going overboard on the sound.

Also, I have a couple of questions:

1. Do these pipes come with or without baffles?
    2. Most people say it is best to install a fuel management system with new pipes. Why is that? I am not looking for any power gains, as long as there is no power loss with these pipes.

Link to the pipes: http://www.cobrausa.com/exhaust_deta...dster%20Shorts

If anyone has any opinion about these pipes, I would love to hear it before dishing out $500 (about $1000 with FMI) on them.

Cheers!

Re: Cobra Speedster Shorts - any opinions?

I've been reading for a Vstar... and most guys are changing jets after changing the exhaust...

has something to do with the motor backfiring...

same thing with fuel injection, except you can't change the jets, that's why you need the FMS...

as for how it sounds, go on youtube, lots of before and after videos

check out Vance & Hines, Bub Jug Huggers also...

Quote Originally Posted by kmawani View Post
    I am looking to get the Cobra Speedster Shorts for my 2010 Vulcan 900 Classic (Fuel Injected). Does anyone have these pipes? I am looking for that deep rumble without going overboard on the sound.

Also, I have a couple of questions:

1. Do these pipes come with or without baffles?
    2. Most people say it is best to install a fuel management system with new pipes. Why is that? I am not looking for any power gains, as long as there is no power loss with these pipes.

Link to the pipes: http://www.cobrausa.com/exhaust_deta...dster%20Shorts

If anyone has any opinion about these pipes, I would love to hear it before dishing out $500 (about $1000 with FMI) on them.

Cheers!
    1, Yes they come with baffles. The baffles are removable if you want louder, or you can get Cobra Quiet Core or other aftermarket baffles if they are too loud for your tastes.

2, Most reports on aftermarket pipes on the VN900's state that a fuel management system is NOT required if your ONLY replacing the pipes. The stock intake on our bikes is much more restrictive the then stock exhaust. If you modify your intake or replace it with a BAK then you will need to upgrade the fuel management. My advise would be to swap the pipes, check the plugs and run it for a bit and recheck the plugs. Of the few hundred threads i've read about pipes on a VN900, I have only read a handful that have claimed to have required a FMI.

You will notice some popping (backfiring) on deceleration with aftermarket pipes. It is caused cheifly by the air injection system for emissions control. Google "Marbling" to find the fix to that one. The stock pipes backfire as well, you just can't hear it.

The quality of the end cap chrome is the only complaint i have read about the Cobras. They have a lifetime warranty so the replace them no hassle. But it can be bit of a pain to have to send them back for replacement every other season.
    VN9008CF - Candy Lime Green.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I was speaking to my dealer/tech and he also said that most people he knows who have installed after market pipes on the vulcan did not have to install the fmi. And yes, all I am doing is swapping the pipes and nothing else.....so I don't think I will be going with the fmi unless I really find the back firing REALLY annoying.

Thanks.

Hmmmm....I looked up on marbling and there seem to be mixed reports. Some say that fixed the 'popping' some say it didn't.

I had these pipes on my vulcan 1600. They sound really good IMO. No mods to fuel map & yes there is popping under deceleration, but it never bothered me.

I think Torrens write up is on the money.

Mine only pop's when it's cold... and even then it's not very often.

Let me know what you end up going with. I'd like to hear them. I was looking at a set of HK's or Speedster slashdown's for mine. I cheaped out and went with a stage 3 debaffle for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Torren View Post
    Mine only pop's when it's cold... and even then it's not very often.

Let me know what you end up going with. I'd like to hear them. I was looking at a set of HK's or Speedster slashdown's for mine. I cheaped out and went with a stage 3 debaffle for now.
    I had hk big straights on my v2k, excellent build quality, and also sounded great, but not quite as good as the cobras. They also dont have the cross pipe like the cobras do.

Id go cobra for your application. I bought the hks, cause nothing else looked right on the v2k IMO.

Thanks guys.....

I am going to go with the Cobras (just the pipes) once I am back from my vacation. If the popping noise didn't bother you, I doubt it will bother me. If it does, I'll look into a solution.

the link I posted earlier actually has a sound bite. However, you got to log into the site first. I'll be happy to report back mid-June on this and get you a sound bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Zed-X-Rex View Post
    I had hk big straights on my v2k, excellent build quality, and also sounded great, but not quite as good as the cobras. They also dont have the cross pipe like the cobras do.

Id go cobra for your application. I bought the hks, cause nothing else looked right on the v2k IMO.
    I agree

I prefer the look and sound (slightly) of the HK's.. but i like that crossover pipe and non-welded baffles better. Got to go with function over form.

Installed Cobra Speedster Shorts on my Vulcan 900 Classic. No mod to intake and no power commander installed, just the pipes. LOVE the deep, throaty sound. Not too loud, not too soft....just perfect.

Installation was ok. Took me about 2 1/2 hrs as I had to bend a lot since I don't have a m/c jack. Had some problems with the heatsheild clamps that go around the header pipe. Other than that, it was ok.

The first time I took the bike out, I hear a lot of popping....and loud. Loud as in "wow...that woke me up" loud. The second day the popping sounds were still there but not as loud and not as frequent. They don't bother me at all actually. In fact, I kinda like them.

Since I am not mechanically inclined, I took the bike to 109Cycle (Danforth Rd. and Warden) the next day and had Peter look at it, just to make sure I had installed the pipes properly. He noticed a very slight leak from the front exhaust port but said that should be nothing to worry about. He told me to re-tighten the bolts (header pipes to exhaust ports) one more time when the bike was stone cold. Did that, but did not notice a significant difference.

Used my iPhone to record the before and after exhaust sounds. As soon as I can figure out how to extract voice memos out of my iPhone, I will post the two sound bites here.

Thanks!

Did you install new collector seals when you installed your pipes? You get them from the dealer, they are a 1 time use crushing type seal. They might not look to bad, but by all reports that i have read they will leak if reused and may also lead to increased popping.

how much did u pay for it?i have 07 shadow aero and i want to put lo-boys long shots...did u notice if the bike is running lean?have notice any difference instead sound??????

Quote Originally Posted by Torren View Post
    Did you install new collector seals when you installed your pipes? You get them from the dealer, they are a 1 time use crushing type seal. They might not look to bad, but by all reports that i have read they will leak if reused and may also lead to increased popping.
    No, I did not use collector seals. However, I did replace the gaskets. Dumb question, but...are the collector seals used in place of the gaskets?

Quote Originally Posted by drummerbr23 View Post
    how much did u pay for it?i have 07 shadow aero and i want to put lo-boys long shots...did u notice if the bike is running lean?have notice any difference instead sound??????
    I honestly cannot tell if the bike is running lean. I see no noticable difference. At first, I thought I may have lost power just a bit. But when accelerating, I look down at the speedo, its at 40 km/hr in no time; almost as fast as with stock pipes.

How can I tell if my bike is running lean? Will it ride differently?

As for the price, I got these at Snow City for $569.00 plus taxes.

I am not sure if you are asking me if I noticed a difference in sound. If so, DEFINITELY. Loud, but not loud enough to wake up the neighbourhood. Lovely low rumble.

u can tell...u fell that the bike is not running like was before...when u hit the throtlle it takes a bit more to speed up...fells like something's holding u and fmi will cost a least $300 more that's why i'm asking if the bike is running ok.....if u want it louder take the baffles out..when i put mine i will take baflles out my neighbour has a vrod and when he starts the bike it shakes my garage door...awesome

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Do these shorts make your bike fasters like speed holes?
    Are these the ones?
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by drummerbr23 View Post
    u can tell...u fell that the bike is not running like was before...when u hit the throtlle it takes a bit more to speed up...fells like something's holding u and fmi will cost a least $300 more that's why i'm asking if the bike is running ok.....if u want it louder take the baffles out..when i put mine i will take baflles out my neighbour has a vrod and when he starts the bike it shakes my garage door...awesome
    Yes, I definitely 'feel' that something is holding the bike up at acceleration, more so in traffic conditions. However, as I said previously, when I look down at the speedo, it takes apprx the same time to get up to a certain speed as it did with the stock pipes. Thats why I put the feel in quotes.

Before buying the pipes, I had decided to run with them for a while before deciding if I should buy a power commander ($399). In traffic situations, the bike runs differently. I cannot say if its a good different or a bad different....just different. On highways or open roads with no traffic, it feels the same as before....just louder.

I think the sound is just fine so I am going to leave baffles in.