New HOV lanes on the QEW / Green vehicles?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New HOV lanes on the QEW / Green vehicles?

New HOV lanes on the QEW / Green vehicles?

I have seen a few threads regarding the HOV lanes in Toronto, one of them said that bikes are not allowed on the 404 / 403 highway HOV lanes. The QEW through Oakville has a new HOV lane and has a sign that says 'GREEN' vehicles permitted. Would a bike count as a green vehicle? What if I paint my bike green, would that get me out of a ticket?
    My bike is gonna beat the fuel consumption on any Hybrid any day, so who makes up the rules as to what constitutes a green vehicle?

Re: New HOV lanes on the QEW / Green vehicles?

Check this out for the definition of Green:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...n-plates.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by dmode View Post
    I have seen a few threads regarding the HOV lanes in Toronto, one of them said that bikes are not allowed on the 404 / 403 highway HOV lanes. The QEW through Oakville has a new HOV lane and has a sign that says 'GREEN' vehicles permitted. Would a bike count as a green vehicle? What if I paint my bike green, would that get me out of a ticket?
    My bike is gonna beat the fuel consumption on any Hybrid any day, so who makes up the rules as to what constitutes a green vehicle?
    Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".

Wishful thinking! Bikes are not so great looking at ton/mile fuel usage and space. Four people in a sedan take up less space and use less gas than four bikers.

I'm not sure what the true intent of the HOV lanes is. Is it to minimze the number of drivers who were unnecessarily taking up road space or is it the fuel burn / global warming issue?

If the HOVs were only for people who need to drive they should allow commercial vehicles because car pooling doesn't work for plumbers vans etc.

Its good to know that the people driving these huge SUV's that take 85 octane are not legally allowed to be in that lane without a passenger. It was kind of infuriating to think that maybe this type of vehicle was allowed but not a bike. I think the way they have it set up with electric vehicles is fair. Maybe the sign should read GREEN plated vehicles. Anyhoo thanks for the info ddusseld!

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Shhh! Bikes are not particularly green.

Write to your MPP and ask them why we are one of the few countries/states that refuse to allow motorcycles in the HOV lane. Perhaps if you guys join our lobby we can get some of these politicians to listen, it worked in the city of toronto.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    Write to your MPP and ask them why we are one of the few countries/states that refuse to allow motorcycles in the HOV lane. Perhaps if you guys join our lobby we can get some of these politicians to listen, it worked in the city of toronto.
    Hmm maybe they couldn't hear the message over the sound of the loud pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    I'm not sure what the true intent of the HOV lanes is. Is it to minimze the number of drivers who were unnecessarily taking up road space or is it the fuel burn / global warming issue?

If the HOVs were only for people who need to drive they should allow commercial vehicles because car pooling doesn't work for plumbers vans etc.
    HOV lanes were originally intended as a congestion reducing measure. Not environmental, not "green", not "safety" ... congestion. It encourages fewer cars on the roads because there are more people in each one.

An electric car with a single occupant contributes just as much congestion as a gasoline-powered car with a single occupant.

Motorcycles reduce congestion not necessarily when on the highway (the following distances in front and behind by far dominate over the size of the vehicle itself) but they reduce congestion once the vehicle is downtown and it's time to park it. Widespread motorcycle usage in traffic-jam conditions would reduce congestion because then the size of the vehicle does become important, and you can get several motorcycles in the space of a single car in a traffic jam. 'Course, it would help even more if lane-splitting and filtering were allowed, because those actions let the motorcycles pass through in a manner that doesn't appreciably slow down the other traffic.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    Shhh! Bikes are not particularly green.
    My ZX10R bike's consumption is better than my compact Kia Spectra, which is not a green car but one of the better models on fuel. I'm sure any 600cc or less (non R) bike is as good as any "green car".

Quote Originally Posted by alaywa View Post
    My ZX10R bike's consumption is better than my compact Kia Spectra
    "Higher" is actually worse...
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    it would help even more if lane-splitting and filtering were allowed, because those actions let the motorcycles pass through in a manner that doesn't appreciably slow down the other traffic.
    I agreed with everything stated but this secton. Lane spliting should never be legally allowed. It's dangerous no matter how cautious you may be. Filtering for the purpose of making a right turn I may agree with, but that's all.
    2006 Black Tribal Honda CBR600RR - Current
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F - SOLD
    1992 Kawasaki Ninja 500 - SOLD

2006 Acura TSX 6MT
    2002 Honda S2000

Quote Originally Posted by Carriers View Post
    I agreed with everything stated but this secton. Lane spliting should never be legally allowed. It's dangerous no matter how cautious you may be. Filtering for the purpose of making a right turn I may agree with, but that's all.
    Well we manage lane splitting and filtering here in California without people dying every day. If you think it is dangerous, don't do it - but for those of us who are capable of riding a motorcycle with skill and control, lane splitting and filtering is perfectly safe. In fact the CHP says it is safer to split in slow / stopped traffic than stop with the cars; you don't get rear ended as easily when you are moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post

There is currently a petition circulating to allow bikes to use ALL 400 series HOV lanes in Ontario. With or w/o a pillion.

...Then one day you realise your 'knight in shining armour' is just a retard in tinfoil.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by El Zilcho View Post
    "Higher" is actually worse...
    What do you mean?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
    Well we manage lane splitting and filtering here in California without people dying every day. If you think it is dangerous, don't do it - but for those of us who are capable of riding a motorcycle with skill and control, lane splitting and filtering is perfectly safe. In fact the CHP says it is safer to split in slow / stopped traffic than stop with the cars; you don't get rear ended as easily when you are moving.
    +10 same with my 8 years splitting in the UK. If you haven't experienced a climate of splitting please don't comment like you know.

+10 same with my 8 years splitting in the UK. If you haven't experienced a climate of splitting please don't comment like you know.
    Practically 0% of drivers have experienced motorcyclists lane splitting in Canada vs practically 100% in the UK........that's a slightly important number.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jc100 View Post
    Practically 0% of drivers have experienced motorcyclists lane splitting in Canada vs practically 100% in the UK........that's a slightly important number.
    Granted, but with a change in law comes a change in behaviour, therefor the act of lane splitting is not in of itself dangerous.

Granted, but with a change in law comes a change in behaviour, therefor the act of lane splitting is not in of itself dangerous.
    I agree with the sentiments but when I see the quality of car driving out there it doesn't translate into safe lane splitting. Most cagers get their licences after a simplified test then they turn on the cell phone and pick up a coffee.

Add to that the dog in a manger attitude where they will deliberately do a squeeze play and crunch, you're dead.

My biggest rant is against the attitude that the only causes of crashes are speeding and DUI. If you don't speed or DUI you are considered a good driver. Fix that first.

An outside factor: We only ride 6 months a year and cagers have to be retrained in the spring to expect M/Cs. It takes 6 months to retrain them.

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
    For how long have motorcyclists been splitting, in those jurisdictions? I've said it before and I'll say it again: You first.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    For how long have motorcyclists been splitting, in those jurisdictions? I've said it before and I'll say it again: You first.
    If I wouldn't get charged, I would be very willing to lane split and lane filter in Ontario (or other Canadian provinces/territories). The first couple of months here I was a bit nervous doing so until I realised what skills I needed to do so safely. Yes it carries a risk, so does sitting on a motorcycle stopped in a line of traffic. I will take my changes filtering and splitting any day over being a sitting target.