New HOV lanes on the QEW / Green vehicles? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New HOV lanes on the QEW / Green vehicles?

Re: New HOV lanes on the QEW / Green vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
    If I wouldn't get charged, I would be very willing to lane split and lane filter in Ontario (or other Canadian provinces/territories). The first couple of months here I was a bit nervous doing so until I realised what skills I needed to do so safely. Yes it carries a risk, so does sitting on a motorcycle stopped in a line of traffic. I will take my changes filtering and splitting any day over being a sitting target.
    So the drivers are so bad in Cali that you are more worried about being rear ended, but you are okay with lane splitting with the same drivers.

Lane splitting in Ontario, not going to work in my lifetime. You have to start at the root of the problem, too damn easy to get a licence, both bike and cars, no lane discipline what so ever in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
    If I wouldn't get charged, I would be very willing to lane split and lane filter in Ontario (or other Canadian provinces/territories). The first couple of months here I was a bit nervous doing so until I realised what skills I needed to do so safely. Yes it carries a risk, so does sitting on a motorcycle stopped in a line of traffic. I will take my changes filtering and splitting any day over being a sitting target.
    If it were legal:

I'd filter through stopped cars to a limit line at a red light if safe to do so.

I'd also lane split California style on the 401, obviously to limit my risk I'd go at a 15kph speed differential to give more reaction time. It's a risk I'm quite prepared to take.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

I have a green bike
    slowsucks...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...affic-hov.html

Guy with sex doll in HOV lane. I wonder if that would work if I strapped her to the back of my bike with her arms folded around me?

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    So the drivers are so bad in Cali that you are more worried about being rear ended, but you are okay with lane splitting with the same drivers.
    The reason I am worried about being rear-ended is when a bike is stopped in a row of cars, you have the potential to blend in to the car in front of you. With only 1 brake light the driver in the car behind you might not differentiate the bike from the car. Add in people texting, drinking coffee while they drive and paying attention while they stop sometimes takes a back burner.

When I split I scan mirrors to the extent I can, you can actually get an idea of where people might go. In the 14 months of doing so in SoCal, only twice has someone purposefully tried to block me or cut me off. I know they did it on purpose as they were looking at me in their mirror before they changed lanes.

io have a green bike

Quote Originally Posted by dmode View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...affic-hov.html

Guy with sex doll in HOV lane. I wonder if that would work if I strapped her to the back of my bike with her arms folded around me?
    Don't know why the guy even bothered. I travel routinely between Hamilton and Oakville, and i've observed that a fair chunk of drivers in that HOV lane are lone occupants. It doesn't surprise me that most of those, are in SUV's.
    '99 Suzuki Bandit 1200 - '88 Hannigan Comet chair