Lake Placid ,Watkins Glen area accomadation recommondation

Thread: Lake Placid ,Watkins Glen area accomadation recommondation

Lake Placid ,Watkins Glen area accomadation recommondation

As the title states , buddy and myself are heading out next thursday for a 5 day tour of ny , vermont, pa area. Any recommended "cheap,under $80/nt)"but good places to stay ....
    Thx in advance

Banned

Re: Lake Placid ,Watkins Glen area accomadation recommondation

Seneca Lodge used to be where all the top race teams and drivers used to stay back in the days when top teams were still hauling their cars on open trailers. It's still popular with race fans and spectators, and the bar there has old racing memorabilia and winner's wreaths on the walls. Decent bar, excellent food in the restaurant next door.

Rooms are basic and in some cases almost rustic, but rates a couple of years ago were $55 per night for the motel-style rooms. The place is less than 5 minutes up the hill from the village of Watkins Glen, and about 1/4 way from the village to the race track, and on a nice riding road as a bonus.

http://senecalodge.com/
    Last edited by turbodish; 06-02-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Banned

For week-long group ski trips to Lake Placid, I used to book rooms at the Wilderness Inn 2, about 10 minutes drive out of Lake Placid on the road to Wilmington, and just past the main entrance for Whiteface. This isn't so much a hotel/motel as it is a collection of cabins and trailers in a treed setting. The smaller cabins are now $75 per night, and some have kitchen/cooking facilities in them. The place has a GREAT restaurant, and they offer packages including room and meals for decent prices.

http://www.wildernessinnadk.com/MainMenu.html
    Last edited by turbodish; 06-02-2011 at 08:53 PM.

turbo thx will definetly check that out!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gcrouse View Post
    turbo thx will definetly check that out!!!
    No problem.

Seneca Lodge fills up fast when a major race weekend is on at Watkins Glen International. There is no big race going next weekend, but there is the week after that.

For Lake Placid, staying in Lake Placid itself will cost you a tourist trap surcharge in many of the accommodation lodgings there. By going down a few minutes down the highway towards and into Wilmington you avoid much of that.

There are various hotel/motel/cabin places geared to the fishing crowd near Wilmington. The ride alone between the Lake Placide and Wilmington would make the extra few miles worth it, never mind the potential price savings for accomodation.

Also, I don't know if you're aware, but the Whiteface Memorial Highway 431 starts in Wilmington and goes up the back of Whiteface Mountain and ends at a high-up lookout at the top of the mountain. http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...10378&t=h&z=13
    Last edited by turbodish; 06-04-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Was in Lake Placid and Vermont last year, just in the off season and I used Hotwire to book hotels the night before turning up, think I paid under $100 each time for central hotels. If you don't mind the last minute approach you can save quite a bit of cash, I know of people that have used a hotel's free lobby internet to book a room 5 mins before check in and got a great rate (booking over internet was cheaper than booking directly at the front desk).

Now thats a great idea right there!!!!! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Seneca Lodge fills up fast when a major race weekend is on at Watkins Glen International. There is no big race going next weekend, but there is the week after that.
    Yes had this happen to me two years ago, so went a bit south to Bath, N.Y. and stayed at a brand new Microtel motel for $65 per night. But reserve ahead cause the next year I went there was no availability since there was a wedding and they had booked all the remaining rooms.
    I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride.

As turbodish mentioned accomodations are scarce when there's a race on. Rates also triple. Yes triple. 3X
    Lots of scenic stuff particularly waterfalls. Glen Curtis Museum in Hammondsport is very good. Watkins Glen state park is A-1 if you like to hike for a couple of miles along dozens of waterfalls.

PS Whatever county Watkins Glen is in doesn't have sales tax on clothing under $100. It was really weird as I saw two shirts on sale for $10 each, took them to the counter and said how much. $20. Weird. Down the road it could be different.
    Last edited by nobbie48; 06-22-2011 at 07:16 AM.