Just went down, now what? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just went down, now what?

Re: Just went down, now what?

OP relax...... post some pics up so we can try and help you out.....

i agree with Rich. post some picks and we'll give you an idea how much it's going to cost you.

NO guys i think its alot more serious. New rght fork outer kawi priced at 300, caliper holder used 60, caliper kit used 250 break disc used 250. Those r prices the mechanic came up with after calling some chop shops. Thn break stuff and fluId and a bunch of other little things that the guy didnt right down cuz he just threw it under labour costs. I really screwed up life. Now im debating givng up my riding dreams or gettng a new used bike. I lost the front end pretty much.
    So total using used parts and aftermarket comes to 1100 plus 500 on labour, then id still have damaged fairings and need tires. Im thinking new bikeMechanic said if it was a 600 he had a parts and could do like 350 but thanks for all the help

Dont be so hard on yourself. I am on a 09 GT250R, it's not my first bike but at 1500km, front tire got stuck in a right turning streetcar track while I was starting to turn left. Low speed (almost stopped...), 400 bucks for mandatory fixes and a rash that is still there (for now...), and it is the worst feeling ever! But, a few days goes by, you collect yourself and decide if you think the bike is worth it in the long run. Like others are saying, people have connections to parts, paint and labor. Bike are actually much simpler to fix than you would think.

But in the end... It's your call. Just saying that you WILL get over it and cut your losses. absolutely no point in wasting money with calling insurance or giving up riding altogether because of something like this. make the right choice... just ask for some help. Owning a bike puts you in the club, and joining these forums put you one step further in. get a quote in writing of what it needs (if you don't have already) post it here and see what happens. If it ends up costing 1000 in parts still, so be it, you tried. Everybody knows the feeling and is willing to help out.

Thosenparts listed is what it needs and what the prices mechanic could get parts for, plus there was a bunch of things they woupd just be able to fix themselves that he covered under labour. I know that if it was smaller things then i could try toget help but i think he bike is gone, and im looking into a second bike. Anyone looking to buy a 250cc engine with 16k on it? Could make a sick go kart lol.

Have you checked ebay? I don't know your year of bike, but after 3 minutes, I pulled up these. They most likely won't be matches but I just grabbed the first ones I saw. Should be easy to find your parts.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...#ht_2334wt_905
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...#ht_5415wt_905
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...T#ht_999wt_905

I'm in Brampton and pretty good at fixing things and I don't charge labour.
    Last edited by cola_fiend2003; 05-27-2011 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cola_fiend2003 View Post

I'm in Brampton and pretty good at fixing things and I don't charge labour.
    ya im really glad u just said that cuz i started checking ebay and im starting to be happy again lol. im gonna get my bike from the shop tomorrow hopefully then im gonna start ordering parts and ill definately send u a pm in the next couple days. u would be so much help

Your getting good advice all around here. Just step away for a day, relax. Shops don't just throw in parts here and there. It's most likely not as bad as they want you to think. The good weather is still to come. Find your parts, keep googgle close (how to vids) and take it one day at a time. This is one of the big steping stones from noob to guru.

Quote Originally Posted by smackenz View Post
    ya im really glad u just said that cuz i started checking ebay and im starting to be happy again lol. im gonna get my bike from the shop tomorrow hopefully then im gonna start ordering parts and ill definately send u a pm in the next couple days. u would be so much help
    The guys that know me can vouch for me. When a bike is down, we can get it up again somehow. Let me know. I'll gladly lend a hand.

Ive never laid my bike down yet (knock on wood) but I will be willing to lend a hand if you need any help. I love getting my hands dirty.

Yeah, fix your own bike. It doesn't sound like you had any real internal/mechanical damage - everything you described is just plastic and control levers. The old broken ones all bolt or screw right off and the new ones bolt or screw right on. There's nothing complicated about it.

Also, look for parts on forums for your bike. Don't immediately order them from the manufacturer. Only order from the manufacturer if you can't find the part elsewhere cheaper.
    2007 Black/Silver GS500F, naked, 0.80kg/mm Sonic Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by smackenz View Post
    I would suggest letting Cola, or who ever is helping you out, have a look at it before you start ordering parts!
    Last edited by raginduck; 05-28-2011 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bombshelter13 View Post
    Also, look for parts on forums for your bike. Don't immediately order them from the manufacturer. Only order from the manufacturer if you can't find the part elsewhere cheaper.
    Yes! Great advice.
    Always look at classified ads for your model of bike first, they will be the cheapest in price. Then eBay is the second choice. Third is online parts store (mostly oem or aftermarket copies) and LASTLY, the manufacturer.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

i missed the part of you post about he checked on you, my bad, i thought he just got out, looked at bumper and drove off, so disregard my post. plenty more people on here know better than i do, or rather, read more thoroughly than i do...good luck on the repairs, hope it's low enough and fast enough for you to get back out there...

see everyone is willing to help you out bud. I live in Sauga. dont mind helping you out either. Get to learn new stuff about bikes on "how to fix problems". cheer up dude!. season just started. If you do this yourself with the help of other people in the forum you'll come out mechanically inclined. anyways keep us posted.

This could go from Insurance thread to Ninja 250 Build Thread in a matter of days. Good luck OP and definitely don't make any quick decisions! Definitely let whoever helps you fix the bike check it out before you order parts, as raginduck said.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

I have pmd cola and am just waiting for a response and now gotta figure out whos gonna lend me a truck cuz my brothers has a alternator problems. Then i should be able to post some pics for u guys

FYI - I rented a U-Haul trailer to go to the track last weekend for about 20 bucks.

Buy some ratchet straps and you're good to go, if you have any vehicle with hitch. Or check out Infernobuster I believe it is.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Anyone know how to check interchangeable parts? I need front caliper and caliper holder, and rotor and front right fork outer piece. And some smaller things

Find an exf forum if such a thing exsists. You'll either find parts or find out whats interchangeable. http://www.gdlcycles.com/asp1/catego...0&qscat=Brakes google is your best friend right now.