Just went down, now what?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just went down, now what?

Just went down, now what?

I went down on the way to work this morning in brampton. Honestly i dont really know what happened, he car started to go since the light just turned green and we were a way back, we were both slowing down cuz the light was red but then it turned green so i was just engine braking then he stopped i tried to emergency stop but i guess in the wet and with almost baled tires i skid immediately and went into his back end. Driver got out asked if im ok which i am just a little scrape on the hip. I pick up the bike push to a lot and the driver checked his car out and drove off. Witness got plate number and talked to the guy who said someone was turning but the witness says the guy should have been going. All i no is i hit a guy from behind so its all my fault and i feel like an idiot. Is there anything i can do now other than look to fix the bike?

Bike has damage on both sides, gear shfter bent backwards some how, scrapes on left and right side ferrings, feels like tires r hiting something probably the tire ferring. Kawi exf 250

Re: Just went down, now what?

well, if the person took off, that's failure to remain, why he took off, well, maybe he didn't have insurance, or had outstanding notices on his license...i would recommend looking into that, you have his license plate...if anything is out of order in his paperwork, he could be at fault and your bike would be covered...

I would recommend against calling your insurance company. The shifter can be bent back easily and some scrapes can be sanded and painted or put stickers over them. If the car just left without info you got off easy.

Even a scraped up 250 will be ok for re sale. Worst case you buy a new shifter and some new plastic. If you call your insurance company you will pay way more in the long run.

glad you are ok and the bike can be fixed....99.9% you would have gotten charged ...so fix up the bike and ride on...

Dude there is no way that is failure to remain, for the simple fact that that guy is in no way at fault and IS DOING YOU A FAVOUR!!! Save yourself the years of extra insurance costs and fix the bike out of pocket. There are a number of people on the site that offer pick up service also.

Do not, I repeat Do not.... DO NOT CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY AND SAY YOU JUST HIT SOMEONE AND WRECKED YOUR BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

^^^^^^^+1

Ya i didnt think there was much insurance can do cuz ultimately i hit a guy from behind no matter what actyally happened. Im trying to look at this as every rider goes down eventually and that atleast im not hurt but i still feel terrible. Hopefully most of the damage is just cosmetic and i can get back out on the road

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOnion View Post
    Dude there is no way that is failure to remain, for the simple fact that that guy is in no way at fault and IS DOING YOU A FAVOUR!!! Save yourself the years of extra insurance costs and fix the bike out of pocket. There are a number of people on the site that offer pick up service also.

Do not, I repeat Do not.... DO NOT CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY AND SAY YOU JUST HIT SOMEONE AND WRECKED YOUR BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I agree -- the guy did you a HUGE favour by acting as if it didn't happen. He didn't just take off . . . he stopped to see if you were OK first. Trying to go after the guy in an attempt to screw him would not only be greedy, but you would be screwing yourself over in the process. Hitting someone behind like the OP did is always the fault of the person behind according to the Fault Determination Rules.

OP, glad you're OK . . . just consider yourself lucky that you don't have to claim this and continue on your way.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by smackenz View Post
    Ya i didnt think there was much insurance can do cuz ultimately i hit a guy from behind no matter what actyally happened. Im trying to look at this as every rider goes down eventually and that atleast im not hurt but i still feel terrible. Hopefully most of the damage is just cosmetic and i can get back out on the road
    It doesn't sound too bad . . . I wouldn't worry. This is why people shouldn't buy shiny brand-new bikes for their first ride. Lots of people make new-rider mistakes when starting out.

Good luck!
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by gnatwest View Post
    I would recommend against calling your insurance company. The shifter can be bent back easily and some scrapes can be sanded and painted or put stickers over them. If the car just left without info you got off easy.

Even a scraped up 250 will be ok for re sale. Worst case you buy a new shifter and some new plastic. If you call your insurance company you will pay way more in the long run.
    agreed with all the posters here.

not familiar with op's bike, but not all shifters can be bent back into place--depends on the build material.

also, op should consider not running on bald tires--it's the only thing keeping you on the road. . .

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Check with the wreckers and see if you can get a straight shifter.

They cager got out of his vehicle, made sure you were alright and assessed the damage. He did not leave the scene. Why would he be interested in hanging around - you were following too close, so 100% your fault. Consider yourself lucky the police didn't charge you.

I also agree that the person driving the car did not fail to remain at the scene.
    You said yourself that he asked if you were OK and you said yes. Good 'nuff for me.
    If he checked out his car and feels that there is no damage, and he didn't even take your info, carry on with your life and enjoy getting your hands dirty fixing your bike.
    Have a cold one to help the soreness of your light injuries.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

Bald tires in the rain???
    I think you got off lucky.
    You need to use the head a little when you ride, especially in poor conditions. Just saying.

I was told by 2 different bike mechanics i had like 2000km left on the tires before i needed o change them i guess that actually meant 2000 until they r dead and i should have already put new ones on. But i lived so i guess thats what matters most

Doesn't sound too bad, i slid out on a hill and my bike slid about 200m, broke the shifter pedal in half tore off lever, busted fairings, but its can all be fixed.

Fix it and go on with life.

Banned

i have a sticky on this at the top of the ins. forum.

Ok guys i really screwed up, dont even no what happened anymore. Mechanic says with taking used and aftermarket parts where i can im looking 1000 on pqrts and 500 for labour. 1500 for a bike i paid 2000 for, plus i would still want new tires and my fairings would be pretty gone. So now im debating between a new used bike or just giving up my dream. I found a 2003 zzr 250 for 1900 and says new tires so im leaning towards throwing money at it. What do u guys think and please dont tell me how much i screwed up cuz im doing that enough myself

Quote Originally Posted by smackenz View Post
    Ok guys i really screwed up, dont even no what happened anymore. Mechanic says with taking used and aftermarket parts where i can im looking 1000 on pqrts and 500 for labour. 1500 for a bike i paid 2000 for, plus i would still want new tires and my fairings would be pretty gone. So now im debating between a new used bike or just giving up my dream. I found a 2003 zzr 250 for 1900 and says new tires so im leaning towards throwing money at it. What do u guys think and please dont tell me how much i screwed up cuz im doing that enough myself
    What parts do you NEED?
    What parts are damaged but are not a necessity to the bike?

People on this forum can fix and repaint fairings, or even better, you can even do it yourself really cheap.
    Make a list of the essential parts here so people can help you find the best prices.

Are you mechanically handy? If yes you can probably do most, if not all of the work yourself, that's 500$ saved right there.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

hmm you can fix it yourself you know. why would even fork out 500 for labour??? for replacing fairings, clutch lever and whatever the remaining cosmetic damage is.
    You will have fun rebuilding your bike. Buy after market fairings if yoy want it's cheaper. I'm sure someone can you help fix your bike for a case of 24 and dinner =). anyways good luck bud!