Earplugs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earplugs

Earplugs

Did the m1 exit course at Durham last weekend, best 3 pieces of advice...

- look where you want to go to turn
    - push the steering in the direction you want to go
    - wear earplugs

Seriously, started wearing earplugs yesterday after a long ride & wind noise had me tired out. What a difference -- will never ride without earplugs again now.
    2007 Suzuki GS500F

Re: Earplugs

^ +1 .. I'm a slow learner so it took me two seasons before i realized the benefits of earplugs.
    nice bike, btw!

Mandatory.
    I won't go anywhere without them. I just use the Crappy Tire foam ones and am so use them I can easily forget there in.
    Years ago I never wore them. I've also converted a few riders.
    Use them on a long ride and you'll easily discover their value!
    Flying is easy...just hurl yourself at the ground and ...miss

Earplugs are a plus when riding.

I've never worn them... I don't know how I'd feel not being able to hear certain things, I'm sure it's something to get used to though. My bike is in the shop now on warrantee for a noise I probably wouldn't have known about with them in. I think I'll try them out and see what it's all about before writing them off completely.

Quote Originally Posted by 250 Matt View Post
    I've never worn them... I don't know how I'd feel not being able to hear certain things, I'm sure it's something to get used to though. My bike is in the shop now on warrantee for a noise I probably wouldn't have known about with them in. I think I'll try them out and see what it's all about before writing them off completely.
    I don't wear ear plugs when I'm just out booting around the town but if I'm going to be on the highway for a bit then I wear them.

It's not that you always wear them so you'll still notice odd noises or hiccups on your bike. It's just those long rides on highways where they truly will save your hearing.
    Ecto • 2006 Honda VeeFourRoad 800A (Pearl Black)
    I'm too sexy for my turban.

They also attenuate certain frequencies more then others. You might just be surprised what you can hear more clearly with some of the noise taken away.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

I listen to music...
    Entertainment for the poor, that's what my mother always called children.

You will find you can hear the mechanical sounds of your bike better with them.

Quote Originally Posted by vdk View Post
    I listen to music...
    I have earplugs and also listen to music via BT headset (Sena SMH-10) which is LOUD.. can hold a conversation at 100km even with earplugs in.

b

If I am riding in the city where speeds done exceed 60km/h then I wont wear the earplugs. Anything over 60km/h for extended periods of time and I will wear cheap shoppers drug mart earplugs.
    Last edited by _eug_; 05-27-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Would it be a good idea to invest in some higher-quality ear plugs that muffles the sound less and improves clarity?

Quote Originally Posted by cono_sur View Post
    Would it be a good idea to invest in some higher-quality ear plugs that muffles the sound less and improves clarity?
    ear plugs are ear plugs

Quote Originally Posted by johnnie_c View Post
    ear plugs are ear plugs
    I doubt it .Do your research different plugs for different jobs .

08 VRSCDXA
    99 VFR800
    90 GSXR1100
    88 600 Katana
    84 VF500F
    84 Yamaha XS 400
    84 Suzuki GS400

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting '..holy **** ....what a ride!'

I wear ear plugs all the time, it really helps, espeically when you have loud exhaust. I used those cheap ones from Canadian tires, they work just fine.
    David L.
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848
    1995 Honda CBR900RR (SOLD)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R600 (SOLD)
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by 250 Matt View Post
    I feel the same, however riding on a few windy days at about 100kms I'm seriously thinking about giving them a try. It's just that I'd be concerned if I couldn't hear a horn or a siren.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedagogue View Post
    I feel the same, however riding on a few windy days at about 100kms I'm seriously thinking about giving them a try. It's just that I'd be concerned if I couldn't hear a horn or a siren.
    You can.

My current box is Howard Leight Max Lite ones, NRR of 30 and SNR of 34. I can hear emergency vehicles just fine (better then some cagers apparently) long before they get close to me.

I buy my in boxes of 200 from safety supply stores. If I remember right the box cost about $20.
    Last edited by skip; 06-02-2011 at 11:57 AM.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

This company http://www.protectear.com/ was at the Budds BMW Motorrad a few weeks ago so I got fitted for some custom made plugs but I'm still waiting. Also ordered the DualCom Headset so I can listen to tunes while riding. I've never been able to keep generic ear buds in while pulling on a full face helmet.
    "You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime." (Burt Munro)

^ i Have a set of these. Work paid for them i ended up paying $20. its amazing how many accessories they offer. I find them uncomfortable and use foam ones instead.

I hope they're not uncomfortable for me because I paid a lot more that $20 for them. lol. Apparently you have to lube them with petroleum jelly the first few times you use them. Also, I've been told to wear them for an hour or two the first time then slowly add usage time as you break them in (or more like break you ears in).
    "You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime." (Burt Munro)